Consistent ~40 fps drop every 7-15 seconds since v329 release (ns2_caged)

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
edited October 2019 in Technical Support
I've been experiencing ~40fps drop fps stutters since the last patch. Not sure if this has something to do with the move to DX11
as I never experienced this with DX9.
  • It happens typically after I've played a full round or two, and usually in heavier combat. Once it starts I could be anywhere on the map and it still happens.
  • Played on multiple servers with same issue. Used net_stats to look for chokes and there is none when its happening.
  • Running at 1080p full details outside of atmospherics (low), but it still happens when everything is set at low at 1080p but is less noticeable due to higher fps but it still occurs. Even at mostly full I'm usually at >100fps and maybe dip into 60fps at the lowest in very heavy combat when I don't have fps stutters.
  • Deleted Workshop Folder, cache, system_options.xml (I think that's what it was called).
  • Only Mod I have active is NS2+
  • Tried turning off anti-virus, issue persists. This has never been a problem in the past.
  • Windows 10 game mode is on, I've also set the NS2.exe process to high to test. Increased overall fps but issue persists.
  • Have the latest version of video drivers.
  • Didn't see any error messages in console when its happening.

I ran TechSupport.exe in the \x64 folder but I did not see a .zip created in the folder to attach.

Anybody else been experiencing this? I can gather any other logs that might help.

EDIT: Forgot to add. I've also deleted /Steam/userdata/[steamid]/4920 to reset options, and verified my NS2 cache via steam (no files replaced with originals).

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Hi,

for debugging performance issues it would be great if you could provide us with performance logs:
    Type "p_logall" without quotes in the console (~ key or whatever is above tab and next to 1) whenever you want to begin recording in game. Please wait until you at least have spawned before using the command. To end the performance logging you can either use p_endlog in the console or just wait for the round to end.

Afterwards navigate to your appdata/home config folder ( e.g at windows %appdata%/natural selection 2/)
    You should now see a new profile log called < timestamp >.plog .
    Please zip/compress it and attach it to your tech support post.

This will give us a frame by frame analysis of what is going on, so try to pick a time when you can best reproduce your lowest performance.
    Please don't record for shorter than 5 minutes.

So far we are aware of one issue affecting a lot of users which has to do with Weapon related GUIViews and we have a fix ready for that for the upcoming update.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I will see if I can get a good capture of the event and update this post. Thanks.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Okay I captured the event. Ran p_logall once it started fps hitching and got another hard ns2 crash around 5 minutes later to desktop (less common, but has been happening since the patch occasionally). Some observations:
    • I was able to play for >2 hours with no issues, until i got to ns2_caged when it started up after playing a match for about 10 minutes or so (was early into the 2nd match). I've taken notice that the issue consistently seems to start occurring on this map in particular as it has in the previous instances.
    • Got a hard crash. Included a screenshot of the crash id error, although it should have uploaded
      automatically as well. Included the .dump files, the dump logs of the timestamped previous crashes, and the p_logall .plog captured during the event. Also included the .zip file the crash auto-generated if needed.

Let me know if you need anything else/further details. Ghoul I will PM you the link. Thanks.
    Just an update. This is ONLY happening on ns2_caged. When I switch to another map (like veil) the issue disappears. When I run p_logall on Caged it will result in another hard crash usually within a few minutes.
    I'm also getting these errors in console across multiple maps, which might be related to a different bug:

"No Access to ShotgunVariant1" etc...

l7gpenytca72.png

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2019
    P Log doesn't need to be run for an entire match. You can use p_endlog to stop logging once you've experienced the issue after using p_logall. It actually helps us a bit because it narrows down where we need to look for the issue.

Does this issue occur EVERY time you play on caged, or is it just that the issue only occurs when you're on caged, but only sometimes?
    I have a couple of p_logall in the link. It occurs every time I play on caged since the origin patch. Others in the same match also consistently complain about fps hitches on the map. Might be tricky to hunt down the cause.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited October 2019
    According to your description in your first post it is not Caged specific.
    The big map size, increased number of cysts/entities in the late game, and overall longer game length of Caged games could cause this without being directly related to map performance issues.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not to derail, but on the subject of Caged, I get from time to time a weird sound bug where sometimes I will hear a high pitched noise while roaming the map (more typically as a skulk and not the same part of the map all the time). Most of the time, I hear the sound for a split second, and sometimes I just lose sound completely. Any ideas?