[Sub Zero 15125] Player collision making game nearly unplayable

JimboJamboJimboJambo Join Date: 2018-01-25 Member: 235708Members
edited June 2019 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Since I started exploring the new and improved Glacial Basin area, I've been having a strange bug that has been progressively getting worse to the point where I can hardly play.

My player model is being squashed along one world axis and stretched in another. Unfortunately it's not just visual: it seems to have affected my character's collision bounds, leaving me completely unable to fit through tight spaces including the corridors of my own base. In addition, it makes it difficult to interact with certain things, nearly impossible to read the PDA, and causes my Sea Truck to jerk around violently due to phantom forces when I walk around inside.

Dying has not helped.

I reported it using the in-game F8 menu, but it doesn't seem like anyone else is having this issue, and it has not been fixed with the most recent update (Spy Pengling). I'm seriously considering starting over, but... well, I'd rather not.

I've attached some images. Hopefully the spoiler tag actually works, otherwise this is going to be a large post.

Thanks for looking into this!
mpl8rwwbvwcl.jpg
rmipmyl8drcx.jpg
lb0dyhp6ualw.jpg
7er0w6d79p9u.jpg
x6i411guykdt.jpg

Comments

• JimboJamboJimboJambo Join Date: 2018-01-25 Member: 235708Members
    A few more screenshots. I am unable enter my base proper because I cannot fit inside the entrance to a multipurpose room; I can get inside a hatch and watch through the moonpool corridor, but I can't actually go from one module to another.

Not shown in the second screenshot: the first-person image of my diving mask is also severely warped, stretching and squishing with the rest of my body.

Not shown in the third screenshot: beacon positions on the HUD don't quite match up with their locations in the world. More specifically, it appears in the correct place if you look directly at the beacon, but the icon lags behind the mouse. Furthermore, beacon icons never go beyond the edge of the screen; it's as if the game were trying to project spherical information onto the flat area of my HUD.

Lastly: I just tried uninstalling the game to no avail, so it seems to be a problem with my save file. Is it possible for me to upload the save here?
    fm7ymnnrkxcl.jpg
    uhh5dmdra6ii.jpg
    fp6x69e6kdkv.jpg
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Does a fresh save start with this problem? (no guarantee that it wouldn't get the problem later, just helps eliminate possibilities)

What happens if you delete the options file? (For regular Subnautica, this was options.bin in SavedGames\options\, probably similar setup in Below Zero.)

Just to make sure your uninstall removed everything, did you:
    restart computer before uninstall?
    check folders were empty after uninstall, except saves?

edited June 2019
    Thanks for trying to work through this with me.

* Started a new save, no problem there. Old save still broken.
    * Deleting Options file had no effect
    * Uninstalled again, making sure it removed everything (except save) and restarted computer. No luck.

Still stretchy.
    I've been playing a new save file and haven't had any problems -- until the second time I deployed my Spy Pengling. My character model is fine, but the Pengling's is stretched, although in this case it seems to along its local axis instead of a global one. No trouble moving around or interacting with things, fortunately.
    7tx6i5mxnq3q.jpg
    mxry9vqxka6b.jpg
  • Calavera357Calavera357 Join Date: 2019-08-15 Member: 254305Members
    I've run into this same problem. Had all the same issues as the OP. It seems I got myself into this mess by opening/closing the PDA rapidly a few times in a row. It looked like it broke the PDA UI at first, but every time I did something that changed the camera in game, it seemed to make it worse. Saving/Loading made the problem much worse.

It's as if the player rig gets knocked off center by the rapid camera swapping.

reported via F8 but came here looking for advice before restarting the game from scratch.
  • JAZZYFORSUBNAUTICAJAZZYFORSUBNAUTICA Join Date: 2018-05-01 Member: 240453Members
    robin is on a weight loss diet? IDK
  • LoRdOlivOLoRdOlivO Italy Join Date: 2019-08-23 Member: 254424Members
    I do have the same problem. It hapened when i got of the snowfox bike leaving it into its base. On the big Island where you find the snowfox. Since then i found that the problem was from the safe file. Is the "scene-objects.bin" that is corrupted in some way. i could remplace it with a file from a new game and the problem is solved but in that case i reseted all the story and lost all me PDA data. i verifided all the other files in the safefolder and they are ok. I am ataching my original safe file.
  • cerealpillercerealpiller tennessee Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215096Members
    I have this same bug! cant fit through doors and passageways now
  • CazadorrvCazadorrv Puerto Rico Join Date: 2019-09-25 Member: 254837Members
    Same here, this is the 4th time, I can’t even explore Glacial Basin, once I reach ice worm area using the snowfox character collision, Robin won’t fit in the caves.
  • cerealpillercerealpiller tennessee Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215096Members
    I have tried lots of things and cannot find a solution. it is corrupted save game for sure. When i move the save to a different PC and load it, the problem happens there also. New games work fine.
  • gwfamigwfami Join Date: 2019-10-31 Member: 255235Members
    Having the same issue. Mine occured when I had 2 snowfoxes, one of which was stuck in a wall. I got it out and brought it to the recharge pad and put it on the pad. The snowfox then got all spidery looking. Was able to get into the seatruck, but when I arrived at the moonpool I noticed that the character had gotten very tall and very thin, with the pda was brought up, only a portion of it was visible, rest was off screen. I got back into the seatruck, and eventually got back to the glacier area. I tried to get onto the goobered snowfox again, but this time the result was almost a tripling of the size of the character who is now so tall and 2d that it cannot interact with anything.

First picture shows how the pda view overshoots the screen (pay no attention to the background, had to do it that way for the pic).
    Second picture shows distortion of the mask, et.al.
    Last picture shows the super tall and skinny error, notice how far away the pda is.

w50csbgo9tl3.jpg

h8aci7d80nat.jpg

sgfx5fckhqi4.jpg

gwfami wrote: »
    Having the same issue. Mine occured when I had 2 snowfoxes, one of which was stuck in a wall. I got it out and brought it to the recharge pad and put it on the pad. The snowfox then got all spidery looking. Was able to get into the seatruck, but when I arrived at the moonpool I noticed that the character had gotten very tall and very thin, with the pda was brought up, only a portion of it was visible, rest was off screen. I got back into the seatruck, and eventually got back to the glacier area. I tried to get onto the goobered snowfox again, but this time the result was almost a tripling of the size of the character who is now so tall and 2d that it cannot interact with anything.

First picture shows how the pda view overshoots the screen (pay no attention to the background, had to do it that way for the pic).
    Second picture shows distortion of the mask, et.al.
    Last picture shows the super tall and skinny error, notice how far away the pda is.

w50csbgo9tl3.jpg

h8aci7d80nat.jpg

sgfx5fckhqi4.jpg

EXACT SAME ISSUE!!! I should have taken screens. Mine are the same.
  • SAJAALSAJAAL USA Join Date: 2020-01-01 Member: 256874Members
    Same problem, started after nearly avoiding a iceworm attack, either that or a snowfox glitch. no collision problems, but the visuals are hard to use. The snowfox might due something to the visuals, ima see if i can fix it!
    edited January 2020
    P.s. ALso seems to mess with beacon markers, shifting with the POV, in places it shouldnt be
    -And it makes the hands not on the controls of the seatruck, unless thats a separate glitch...
    Update: Atempting to recreate what caused the problem does not fix it, where i used the snowfox as I was attacked by the ice worm killed me, did nothing...
  • BukMarBukMar Czech republic Join Date: 2020-01-04 Member: 256943Members
    yep. Litterally the same problem. IT started out with the camera drones being all stretched, I thought its only a bug, since the game is early acces. But once on the Glacial basin, I got off my snowfox (at the snowfox station) and the snowfox was really streched and wierded out. Then i look at my player model and boom. Its streched so much.
  • Waffle_Gamer264Waffle_Gamer264 Join Date: 2020-01-05 Member: 256978Members
    edited January 2020
    Hello, I have found a different glitch, the models of many of the animals aren't showing when close up to them, the reefback leviathan and many other are invisible when close up to them,but from a distance i can see them.Only the reef on the back of it is visible. I haven't found this much of a problem until I came across what looks like ghost ray from above. I fear I may only be seeing the glow of the model and seeing a group of ghost leviathans. So now I'm above the life pod of the important survivor that died. i have only the minimum requirements of the game, except for the GPU. I searched through the internet and graphics of the game with no luck. Please help.
    Did some
    Hello, I have found a different glitch, the models of many of the animals aren't showing when close up to them, the reefback leviathan and many other are invisible when close up to them,but from a distance i can see them.Only the reef on the back of it is visible. I haven't found this much of a problem until I came across what looks like ghost ray from above. I fear I may only be seeing the glow of the model and seeing a group of ghost leviathans. So now I'm above the life pod of the important survivor that died. i have only the minimum requirements of the game, except for the GPU. I searched through the internet and graphics of the game with no luck. Please help.

Waffle_gamer I think you are playing the wrong game, This glitch is in Subnautica below zero. Also the glitch you are experiencing is different, so you might want to find a forum that relates more to your problem.
  • Waffle_Gamer264Waffle_Gamer264 Join Date: 2020-01-05 Member: 256978Members
    Thank you, I didn't find the right forum earlier!
  • HandlerXIXHandlerXIX Join Date: 2020-01-08 Member: 257056Members
    I have the same bug. I tried to create base near the main bridge on the ice island.
    Before this happend, I tried to get resources with prawn on Icewarm location (here Icewarm attacked me few times), and ride snowfox.
    Notice 1: when I drop items from inventory, some of them becoming stretched.
    Notice 2: when I dismount snowfox, direction of stretching of character changes.
    77f7cvv01s4e.jpg
    z92u7ro9jvnq.jpg

• stratt76stratt76 Join Date: 2019-12-08 Member: 256218Members
    edited January 2020
    Same problem here with the screwy warped graphical objects. I haven't touched the spy pengling yet (except for the blueprints) but I noticed as soon as i built my first snowfox and pad ever, when I left the hoverbike, it was halfway into the ground and i just left it there and soon after the graphic glitches started (player off center, mask moving to weird angles, player character waped on one axis, tools look weird).

My point is that it's possible this could be isolated to the hoverbike as this all happened to me without ever building or using the spy pengling.

Gonna restart and avoid the hoverbike and spy pengling until a later release. If I get this glitch again without ever touching the snowfox or robot pengling I'll report it in but my gut says it's related at least partially to the hoverboke/snowfox.

Cheers!
    I am 100% sure the hoverbike is the source, but it did also go into the ground for me, so that might have something to do with it.
  • Gemini_RaegonGemini_Raegon Join Date: 2020-01-14 Member: 257178Members
    Ok so heres the thing...

Source: the bugged out file (if you want to call it like that) is "scene-objects.bin". Wich is the file containing your story progression, your current location, your unlocked blueprints, your PDA data etc. along with your bugged out view prospective. The other files "gameinfo.json" and "global-objects.bin" are: the first for the data displayed on the main menu before you chose a file to load( as long as i understand) and the second contains all your belongings (structures, vehicles etc.) but not the ones stored in your personal inventory, those are stored at "scene-objects.bin" as i found.

Couse: as the what coused the bug in the first place we all kinda find out that is related to the snowfox. And thats correct, as if you use the PDA while riding the snowfox vehicle will couse your character's view end up like that.(there could be more ways to achieve the bugged out view but this one is the one i tested so far)

Solution: unfortunentaly theres nothing WE can do at the moment except if we play the story all over and go scan everything we scanned so far to obtain our BP's back wich is propably not a pleasant experience to go through. If you want to start all over again though or you are not so far in the storyline yet, all you have to do is: create a new save file (in-game new game option :neutral: ) and then go locate your subnautica games file and follow this root: "Subnautica-Below-Zero>SNAppData>SavedGames" then open the buged-out save (if you have only two its the one named slot0000) and copy all the files except "scene-objects.bin" and then head to the new save file (most possibly named slot0001) and REPLACE the ones there with the files you copied from the previous save folder (remember to keep its original "scene-objects.bin untouched). It is recomended that you should finish the tutorial before doing that in the new game file.

So yeah thats pretty much it, anyone that has something more to say or knows something more than i do i would absolutely like to hear their opinion on the matter since i just only tested out some stuff, i did not find any way to fix or even improve by the least amount the gaming experience by changing the file paths. I hope the devs will do what they can in the near future to fix this issue so we can drop in this addictive sh*t once again.
  • Gromit_AnnecyGromit_Annecy Annecy, France Join Date: 2020-01-20 Member: 257303Members
    Thank you Gemini_Raegon, this solved the problem :)
    Unfortunately, I've lost my inventory, all I was wearing and the story, now this seems less funny to play. Fortunately some console commands did help me to get back quite all I needed. Hope this bug will be solved soon.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Since the player's inventory is on the corrupt file, but other inventories aren't, place a container and move everything into it. Then all items should be preserved when following Gemini_Raegon's file transfer.
  • LilMagicianLilMagician South Korea Join Date: 2020-01-27 Member: 257437Members

TL;DR - My mask/PDA glitch was caused by the Snowfox and cannot be solved by dying, and a remnant of the bug still appears in new save files.

I experienced this bug after my Snowfox landed on the water and I tried to speed out but it was stuck on the ice. I did get an error notification on the top left of the screen but it vanished before I could look at it properly. I got off the Snowfox but my character was still in "riding Snowfox" position. She was able to function normally and I was able to eventually pack up the Snowfox, place it on the ground, and get back on. After that I started experiencing the wonky mask and PDA glitches. Dying didn't help, and I was stupid and saved before restarting the game. That save is now screwed.

I started a new save and while everything is working fine, by looking at the character's shadow I can see her goggles sticking out far from her face, so I think a remnant of the bug remains. I tried uninstalling BZ, deleting the BZ folder, reinstalling the game, and starting another new save, but her shadow's goggles are still wonky. I'm afraid to put any time into the new save just in case it glitches out again.
  • AnimalsAnimals Join Date: 2020-01-28 Member: 257466Members
    Hey guys,

Thanks for searching issues to that.

I have the same graphics problems since 2 weeks, that's really unplayable.
    I don't wanna start a new game or lost things if i "reset" my actual saved, i have many hours on this.

Do i have to wait for an update to fix that without any "files manipulation", or it's over for this save and i have to restart ?

I'm really waiting for something because i really can't play like this.

Have a good day.

(sorry for my english if you see many mistakes)

• Umbra_VictusUmbra_Victus Join Date: 2015-07-09 Member: 206081Members
    edited February 2020
    I have reverse engineered the save files and could fix my camera again, yay!
    To anyone who would like to fix his save file:

1) Start a new game, go outside of the complex and save the game
    2) Close the game
    3) Find a hex viewer/editor online (there are a bunch)
    4) Click on the open file or drag and drop your files (step 5 is to find your save file)
    5) In the file open dialog, go to your save game location (For steam it is Steam\steamapps\common\SubnauticaZero\SNAppData\SavedGames)
    6) Open the "scene-objects.bin" file from your save file (The "corrupted" save slot) and also the "scene-objects.bin" from the just newly saved slot
    7) Search for "Oxygen" and use the occurrence which is preceded with 06 (ASCII ACK)
    8) Now copy the bytes before "Oxygen" from the good save file and overwrite the bytes before "Oxygen" in the bad save file
    *note* you might need to actually type in the 32 bytes yourself I recommend opening 2 pages and just copying side by side if you are typing it in, you may need to add a byte or 2. I had to add 1
    9) Save, Quit and Launch the game

This will fix the issue, granted you will spawn where ever it is that you decided to save, but it shouldn't be an issue.
  • AnimalsAnimals Join Date: 2020-01-28 Member: 257466Members

2) Close the game
    4) Click on the open file or drag and drop your files (step 5 is to find your save file)
    5) In the file open dialog, go to your save game location (For steam it is Steam\steamapps\common\SubnauticaZero\SNAppData\SavedGames)
    6) Open the "scene-objects.bin" file from your save file (The "corrupted" save slot) and also the "scene-objects.bin" from the just newly saved slot
    7) Search for "Oxygen" and use the occurrence which is preceded with 06 (ASCII ACK)
    8) Now copy the bytes before "Oxygen" from the good save file and overwrite the bytes before "Oxygen" in the bad save file
    *note* you might need to actually type in the 32 bytes yourself I recommend opening 2 pages and just copying side by side if you are typing it in, you may need to add a byte or 2. I had to add 1

This will fix the issue, granted you will spawn where ever it is that you decided to save, but it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks, it works actually.
  • josperanjosperan USA Join Date: 2020-02-12 Member: 257803Members

2) Close the game

Well... It didn't work for me. I ended up with a lot of artifacts (black blocks of snow) and not even being able to open the PDA. I tried filling in the bytes from right to left and also from left to right and having to add four bytes which I did as 00. Any suggestions? Please advise