Just speculating on the Planet 4546B

2»

Comments

• JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Okay I can't be the only one who wants giant floaters holding up the playable area :p

I thought it was 4 Elephants on the back of a massive Space Turtle.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    its a gaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. end point.

giphy.gif
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    I've always liked to think of the void as an extremely deep area around the edge. I always imagined giant sea monsters there that could inhale the sea dragon through its gills and not even notice...

flc1ip7tmcqc.jpg

I would never play this game again if that came up behind me.
    I called this file MarvisMedly and I have no idea why.

• garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    its a gaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. end point.

Shhh! We can't play at work and so must engage in crazy, off-the-wall discussions about all things Subnautica.... until we get off the clock. :)
  • PhrenomythicPhrenomythic Denmark Join Date: 2017-08-22 Member: 232551Members
    Yes, but if the planet is all ocean the, moon would not have an affect on the planet for large waves. The gravity of the planet would exert the same amount of force over the entire planets surface, therefor eliminating the possibility for large waves.

Whether the planet is completely covered in ocean or not is completely irrelevant. The gravitational force of any natural satellite in orbit, like our moon, will pull on these large bodies of water causing a bulge. This bulge will follow the orbit and will cause tides. With two moons in orbit, the game would be more realistic if the sea level rises or falls as these moons pass over.

Also, one of the moons is so closeby that it may well be beyond the Roche limit, as already mentioned, which ought to obliterate it into a ring system.
    The moon would not be in an orbit at all, in actuality, Planet 4546B is orbiting the moon. I know this sounds crazy, but the gravity of the planet after you leave its atmosphere is very small. Because of the small amount of gravity past the planets atmosphere, it makes it possible for the moon to be extra close, the moon have no affect on waves and such, and have Planet 4546B orbiting its moon

Well, it does not only sound crazy, it IS crazy. If planet 4546B is orbiting its "moon", then it wouldn't be a planet, but a moon itself, and its "moon" would be the planet. Also, this would make no difference whatsoever for the gravitational pull. The proximity of two celestial bodies will attract all mass, and those parts of that mass that is fluid will tend to move towards the closest point towards the other body.
  • Destructor1123Destructor1123 Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236444Members
    Lonnehart wrote: »
    Just a few things about Planet 4546B I've been wondering about...

1. Is the landmass we're playing on some kind of plateau? The entire playable area appears to be on some kind of rocky structure jutting out from the ocean which seems to be endlessly deep.

2. Is there more than one plateau on this world? There can't be just one I think...

3. How the heck did this thing form? I only have two guesses... Either the entire plateau is a gigantic meteorite that landed on its end on the planet's hard water surface with the end we're on gradually eroded away so most of it is underwater. Or some alien civilization built the thing artificially.

4. I bet the planet is pretty gigantic and the landmass we're on is tiny. With ships disappearing around the planet for thirty years before the game's story I'm guessing most of those ships ended up in the deep ocean abyss...

Just some thoughts about Planet 4546B. Any other thoughts or comments to add? :)

Well now that the game is out, going to the edge will give you a PDA log stating that the entire playable map is a meteor crater. If they were planning on creating an entire planet, one, that would be insanely time consuming, and two, would take up a lot of space. So they just went with sticking with the (relatively) small landmass in game. I really love the geology of the game with the cave systems and whatnot, there's just something so interesting about everything from the planet working in tandem and all being connected to the lava zone through vents and whatnot. Sorry about that tangent. Anyway it's canon that the map is an impact crater.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    @Destructor1123 Isn't it a volcanic crater? There is a meteor crater in the dunes area though.
  • XxxgothgirlsxxXXxxgothgirlsxxX California Join Date: 2018-12-01 Member: 245030Members
    So, thanks to the Youtuber IGP, we know that the bottom of the void is 3000m so it does have a bottom.

If your wondering were I'm going with this well idk so I'm done here bye xD
  • Grignard_SNGrignard_SN U.S.A. Join Date: 2018-12-10 Member: 245433Members
    Jacke wrote: »
    Okay I can't be the only one who wants giant floaters holding up the playable area :p

I thought it was 4 Elephants on the back of a massive Space Turtle.

Its floaters, all the way down.
  • ZacKow264ZacKow264 Join Date: 2019-07-22 Member: 253877Members

This is an old thread but I'm bored. I'm sure you all know this now but it's now been confirmed that the events of Subnautica take place on a volcanic crater that has been covered by sand and dirt over the centuries. It explains how you can find lava only 2km down, and why there's so much wildlife, because the dirt is fertile.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited July 2019
    Years later we now know
    Plant 4546B is smaller than Earth. And it's equator has an arctic because screw logic
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Years later we now know
    Plant 4546B is smaller than Earth. And it's equator has an arctic because screw logic

There will probably have an explanation in game on how that cold biome came to be. My bet is alien tech.
    Not withstanding the possibility that 4546B celestial equator is heavily tilted regarding its ecliptic.
    (I'm not sure if those are the correct terms regarding different planets and stars, but the point stands)
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited July 2019
    The reason the equator is cold is because the 4546b climate it just so unusal that it makes it cold
  • MartineMartine Ontario Join Date: 2019-08-03 Member: 254070Members
    So, thanks to the Youtuber IGP, we know that the bottom of the void is 3000m so it does have a bottom.

If your wondering were I'm going with this well idk so I'm done here bye xD

That must have been in the shallow area of the void because I dropped my Prawn somewhere off the edge of the map and went at least 7-8 kilometres down until I ended back up in the Safe Shallows.
  • JAZZYFORSUBNAUTICAJAZZYFORSUBNAUTICA Join Date: 2018-05-01 Member: 240453Members
    the planet is called 4546B which indicates its a moon to planet 4546A and that smaller moon is 4546C
    I think the PDA entry for 4546B states that it is a category 3 ocean planet....
    edited August 2019
    @JAZZYFORSUBNAUTICA
    No, thats not how it works.
    The B in 4546B implies it was the first planet discovered orbiting the star, 4546.
    The star can also be refered as 4546A.
    To sum it up

4546A is the star.
    4546B is the first planet found orbiting said star.

I got this info from the wikia.
    https://subnautica.fandom.com/wiki/Planet_4546B
  • JAZZYFORSUBNAUTICAJAZZYFORSUBNAUTICA Join Date: 2018-05-01 Member: 240453Members
    IDK im going off by what some other people have said but it somewhat doesnt make sense 4546B has two moons (or planets) orbiting it..... so which one would be the main planet
    IDK im going off by what some other people have said but it somewhat doesnt make sense 4546B has two moons (or planets) orbiting it..... so which one would be the main planet
    It might be a double planet encompassing 4546B and 4546C, plus a third smaller moon.
    How is it werid to have two moons orbiting you.
    Mars has two moons.
    Juptier and Saturn have a bajillion moons
  • SS_BaconSS_Bacon Goch Join Date: 2020-03-05 Member: 258503Members
    Thinking about the void and everything the planet should have extreme biological diversity the only known Kreaturen to live far away and is the stalker and the snow stalker (at least that’s the one I know) so the only place with the same creatures would be in..... the void.... but also have biological diversity. (I would love to have a subnautica were your in a deep sea rover with a friend and have to find a way to get back to the research base/station)