Cache clearing guide v3: fix performance, crashes, lag, stuttering, and fix saves that don't update.

13»

Comments

• LeafCloakLeafCloak Virginia Join Date: 2017-02-07 Member: 227714Members
    A small history of what I've done in Subnautica

1) Bought it, started playing, I had about 40 hours on the game until I started to experience lag and crashing issues
    2) Saw some Steam post which told me to specifically delete cache x (The thread is now closed)
    3) Deleted specified cache and crashing went away, still some lag
    4) Smooth sailing until Precursor update, some fps drop but still playable
    5) Coffee and Castles update comes out and suddenly 3 fps, I've reverted versions before and the bad fps still was there so I don't think the new update has anything to do with it.

When wewere talking, I deleted all files within CellsCache and CompiledOctreesCache, no other files.
    My base was still there. No other resources respawned that I know of. If you need any other information please feel free to ask!
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Hmm. It appears that it's possible the legacy batch-objects- txt files in the main save folder were somehow causing problems, but that shouldn't be the case as they are supposedly not used any more as per LumpN. If this happens again, let me know, and we can test some things out. Unless you backed up your saved game folder before deleting the cache? If so, we could test some things.
  • LeafCloakLeafCloak Virginia Join Date: 2017-02-07 Member: 227714Members
    Sadly I only have the SavedGame file with all the caches gone. I've been playing and if I start to experience this major lag issue again I'll be sure to message you and we can test.
    If you have any other questions I'm always free!
  • DaGarebearDaGarebear Join Date: 2017-02-13 Member: 227865Members
    I discovered a very unfortunate bug related to this, I had a couple reefbacks around my base, and as I had to do this a few times over at least, possibly five times, I noticed the reefbacks were causing fps drops down to low single digits. I decided to try killing the reefbacks and discovered they spawned multiple sets of body parts...four, as in, four wipes, it's as if multiple instances of one reefback existed at once, and were crushing my performance.
    edited February 2017
    Great, the Reefbacks were duplicating too? Can you make a separate bug report thread on this? It probably warrants attention if it's not already known.
  • ArtareonArtareon Join Date: 2017-02-25 Member: 228248Members
    Went through and used the CacheCleanerCMDv2 from 0x6A7232's linked post cuz I (like many others) was also experiencing severe FPS drops. Seems to have worked like a charm as I'm not getting them anymore entering kelp forest biomes or anywhere else (yet).

One thing to note: if you have any waterproof lockers like I did hanging around my Lifepod (they predated me building my first base) they will ALSO get erased by that cleaner. Wouldn't be such a big deal except I had a bunch of batteries and my propulsion cannon stored in there :neutral:

The joys of early access games!
  • FanDidlyTasticFanDidlyTastic Join Date: 2017-07-16 Member: 231862Members
    So I used the CacheCleanerCMDv2 on my current save... It cleared up the cells and stuff. Reset all resource locations. However. Performance is exactly the same. I am just wondering... does this no longer work? I know it's been a few months since the last post so I am only wondering if this is no longer viable or there is something different I should do because I really wanna keep playing the current save I have. On my current pre and post Cache Clear I get 30fps. On a new file I get 125 fps. I actually can't place foundations because when it's on a place-able location FPS drops to 5 fps. So yeah... is this no longer viable for fixing this? Is there another way or do I gotta wait until performance patches?
  • BelgarelBelgarel Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231570Members, Subnautica Developer
    On my current pre and post Cache Clear I get 30fps. On a new file I get 125 fps. I actually can't place foundations because when it's on a place-able location FPS drops to 5 fps. So yeah... is this no longer viable for fixing this? Is there another way or do I gotta wait until performance patches?

Try moving the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames\slot0000\screenshots folder out of the way. For some reason the game polls the screenshots per frame and if you have a few hundred screenshots it will destroy your frame rate.
    Well that increased the FPS by about 10, which is pretty neat for future saves, but I only had a few screenshots. No dice basically. Is there something I could be doing on my save that just makes this unavoidable? My base is pretty large. Like REALLY large. With a lot of pieces incomplete because I was in the middle of building it as the performance dropped.
  • BelgarelBelgarel Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231570Members, Subnautica Developer
    My base is pretty large. Like REALLY large. With a lot of pieces incomplete because I was in the middle of building it as the performance dropped.

Oh, it might just be that base rendering is pretty heavy right now. That's a much simpler thing to fix - just take it apart and see if the performance increases. I'd not recommend making a large base.
    Belgarel wrote: »
    My base is pretty large. Like REALLY large. With a lot of pieces incomplete because I was in the middle of building it as the performance dropped.

Oh, it might just be that base rendering is pretty heavy right now. That's a much simpler thing to fix - just take it apart and see if the performance increases. I'd not recommend making a large base.

After a bit of testing I found that part of the issue was I had a lot of incomplete habitat objects. I cancelled/finished all of them and my fps went up by 30. Also I have found the deeper I go the better frame rate I get. Appears my base is just a fountain of performance drops.
  • firebomber4firebomber4 Indonesia Join Date: 2017-08-22 Member: 232543Members
    << First timer here >>
    Umm... I had trouble playing new game at the moment.
    Everytime I try a new game, it just simply continuing my last saved game. :/
    I've tried uninstalling the game (and make sure nothing left) then reinstalling, but it still happens.
    So now I'm stuck with that last saved data (even thou I have deleted everything both from uninstalling or manually deleting the files/folders)
    << First timer here >>
    Umm... I had trouble playing new game at the moment.
    Everytime I try a new game, it just simply continuing my last saved game. :/
    I've tried uninstalling the game (and make sure nothing left) then reinstalling, but it still happens.
    So now I'm stuck with that last saved data (even thou I have deleted everything both from uninstalling or manually deleting the files/folders)

Are you on XBox or PC? If PC, delete any folder starting with slot in the following folder: %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames\
    On XBox you'd have to go into storage management, find the Subnautica data, and delete it from both your cloud storage and local storage.
  • GlyphGryphGlyphGryph USA Join Date: 2015-02-19 Member: 201435Members
    Thanks for this, it solved my Subnautica-crashing-my-entire-computer problem.
  • DownLoaD77DownLoaD77 Canada Join Date: 2018-02-17 Member: 237813Members
    I have tried everything listed here but still crash consistently within 5-10 minutes.

Required files in following google drive folder:
    (can't post links)
    DownLoaD77 wrote: »
    I have tried everything listed here but still crash consistently within 5-10 minutes.

Required files in following google drive folder:
    (can't post links)

You should be able to 24 hours after creating your account.
  • TurboDodgeXVITurboDodgeXVI Canada Join Date: 2018-04-29 Member: 240427Members
    edited April 2018
    Hey there, trying to figure a problem I've got out here. It's likely an issue on my end but I'll ask here for kicks. Apologies if it's incorrect area or been stated somewhere that I can't find. I have a new SSD that loads much better than my HD so I moved all the Subnautica files over to it from Steam's default seeing as it's on my HD. I changed the steam default download directory to my SSD so it loads the game there far as I can tell [don't hear the HD loading itself to death anymore + faster] but my save file is gone. I also tried to save a new game to see where it ended up but it's showing up in my C:/ old steam file [I can tell by the saved screenshot in the file]. I also can't actually find the files in the old steam folder unless I search it which is odd. Is there a way to change the load/save directory from within the game? My old file is still in the SSD when I moved everything, the game just can't seem to find it or save onto the SSD.

I'm sure I fudged something up somewhere... is there any suggestions to correct this? 13 hours in, game is amazing, won't be too torn if I have to restart but I'd really like to avoid that. Thanks!

EDIT

Copied save file from SSD back to the location I have to search to find on the HD in the Steam file. Save file is working again. Not completely sure if I'm using the SSD or if it's HD now. Strange, still would be nice for the game to be 100% on the SSD. Any guidance appreciated.
    You have to use Steam to move it. To do so, you need to create a new Steam Library on the SSD. Click Steam > Settings, choose the "Downloads" category on the left, and click the "Steam Library Folders" button. Click "Add Library Folder", then choose a location on the SSD (choose the SSD from the drop-down at the top, then click the "New Folder.." button to add a folder, unless you already have an empty folder created -- I think it's gotta be empty, could be wrong).

Then, restart Steam. Then in Steam, right-click Subnautica > Properties, then click the "Local Files" tab, then click the "Move Install Folder" button. Select the new Steam Library you just created on the SSD from the drop-down, and click "Move Folder".

Let me know if that doesn't work.
  • TurboDodgeXVITurboDodgeXVI Canada Join Date: 2018-04-29 Member: 240427Members
    Crap I just came to tell you I figured it out. I didn't use Steam, I moved the entire steam folder myself and found the Subnautica folder that I must have missed or something the first time in the common folder for games. Then as you said made a new folder and used Steam to make that the default and so far all seems well. Was able to find the proper saved data and got my game working as well. The game required a 5 GB update once it was going, probably to reground itself or maybe I missed a couple files somehow. All good now though, thanks a lot for the advice regardless!
  • Goldengoose7Goldengoose7 California USA Join Date: 2018-04-26 Member: 240346Members
    Are these cache clearing techniques still viable with the latest version (s) of the game? I have been running the experimental versions and am getting a lot of micro-stuttering despite using very high end hardware at 1080p.

My rig is capable of running other games at a locked 60fps in Native 4k, (3840x2160) with smooth even frame rates/frame times. Something within my install of Subnautica needs tending to, and misbehaving cache files could very well be the "something".

Thanks in advance for any input. (I am currently unable to update my vanilla version of the game from 84 to 85 due to my Steam Client not seeing any update available since version 84.)

Much better to just run from an SSD. If you must, clear the cache, but it doesn't have that much of an effect any more except in some cases. Can't hurt to try, just back them up if you want to be 100% safe (delete them later if you're good with the results).
  • ChrayZChrayZ Join Date: 2018-12-19 Member: 246374Members
    Deleting the CompiledOctreesCache only caused subnautica to not start and reinstall. I even made a of it and pasted it in again after I deleted everything, but subnautica still wouldnt start, even after verifying.
    Ive downloaded it in the Epic Games launcher.
  • Patrick54Patrick54 Join Date: 2018-12-27 Member: 247324Members
    i cant finde the SNAppData in tha subnatica folder.
    edited December 2018
    ChrayZ wrote: »
    Deleting the CompiledOctreesCache only caused subnautica to not start and reinstall. I even made a of it and pasted it in again after I deleted everything, but subnautica still wouldnt start, even after verifying.
    Ive downloaded it in the Epic Games launcher.

*headdesk* Ah, the saved game location is in the user profile directory. If you deleted the one in \Program Files\Subnautica\ that's the "factory" or default copy. Pasting it back should have worked, though, hmm... not sure why that didn't work. EDIT: I've updated the OP. Apparently, I forgot and put in the main program folder instead of the user profile one that Epic Games uses. Should work now (if it has any effect).
  • Ob_v8Ob_v8 @computer Join Date: 2018-07-16 Member: 242237Members
    Hope its ok to unearth this thread. I'm not a noob ti discussion forums but this one's "start a new topic" button eludes me. This is the closest topic I can find to my issue, as I hoped clearing the cellcache might help. Apologies for this and thanks for your help.

My old system was destabilized by the Intel microcode update (seems they didn't care about 2nd gen processors enough) and crashed windows a lot. I have a new system now, 9th gen, and stable. So I'd like to repair some of the damage done.

One bit of damage was to my main Subnautica save. Too much play to simply start over, I hope. Turns out that frequent system crashes can corrupt Subnautica saves - no surprise I hope - and at least one large part of the map disappeared: when I went back to the island with the alien base north of the pod I found the ENTIRE BASE is gone. I assume this is not by design.

Any ideas on how to recover such parts of the map? Incidentally my save folder didn't have a CompiledOctreesCache folder in it. I tried copying the template one from the Build18 folder. This kept Subnautica busy enough during game start to worry Windows, but eventually it loaded. But no base...
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    edited August 2019
    @Ob_v8 Clearing the cache should fix the missing alien base.

The CompiledOctreesCache was only part of saves before terraforming was removed. (Terraforming caused many issues with saves, including corruptions and huge save files.)

edit: By the way, the waiting period to start new topics is over, so if your email is verified you'll be able to post now.
    If it doesn't work, then try verifying the game data and clearing the cache again (in case the factory default data was corrupted).