VR performance expected to be poor?

WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
Started playing the game recently and I'm especially impressed with how immersive it is in VR. Playing on my Rift with a XBone controller. Though I notice the game is always running at 45FPS. With Oculus ASW, it still looks quite smooth but you do get some distortions here and there.

I'm running a 4770k @ 4.1GHz and a 1070. Monitoring hardware shows the game is only using like 65% of my GPU and not maxing any of my CPU cores. So this makes me think something is either wrong with my configuration or the game just isn't optimized for VR at all. I've tried setting all the game settings to Low, VR Scale to 50% and even set the desktop game res to 640x480 (someone on the Steam forums recommended that). I can run every other VR game at the expected 90FPS.

Non-VR mode overall runs well for me, though the game is quite hitchy, which from what I've heard it normal. A quick benchmark shows I have 93FPS AVG, 32FPS 1% Low, and 8FPS 0.1% Low. That is with Max settings and 1080p

Comments

• narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    VR players have often mentioned poor performance, and bad controls when piloting subs. VR fixes have been few, and even non-VR fixes haven't happened for PC in a long time. I'm partly hoping this is for upgrading Unity version, but it's been a while since any word was given.

Make sure to use a SSD for Subnautica, as that helps reduce load times.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    narfblat wrote: »
    VR players have often mentioned poor performance, and bad controls when piloting subs. VR fixes have been few, and even non-VR fixes haven't happened for PC in a long time. I'm partly hoping this is for upgrading Unity version, but it's been a while since any word was given.

Make sure to use a SSD for Subnautica, as that helps reduce load times.

Thanks for the reply! From what I've seen on the forums here, isn't the updated Unity version in the December 2018 version of the game, available on the Steam Beta branch and the default version on Epic? I'm playing on Epic myself.

And I'll have to try the game on SSD. I didn't notice using a lot of transfer bandwidth on HDD, but maybe it's more sensitive to access time than bandwidth.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    I thought PC was still waiting for that upgrade, but I haven't followed the forum as closely the past year.

Hopefully, as Below Zero approaches release, they'll have more resources available to put toward patching the original Subnautica. (Also, some fixes for Below Zero may directly apply to the original. )
  • ProntiusProntius Join Date: 2018-04-10 Member: 239941Members
  • 이동근이동근 Join Date: 2019-07-31 Member: 254019Members
    나는 충청북도 충주시에 사는 이동근이다 .
  • Hoaphuongdinh123Hoaphuongdinh123 Join Date: 2019-07-31 Member: 254021Members
    Stay tuned more often for the fastest news updates
  • smalluglyrabbitsmalluglyrabbit Canada Join Date: 2019-08-03 Member: 254066Members
    Hi guys, I'm having an issue with the game (I just got it last week). I run a VIVE with a RTX 2060 Super and a 3600X Ryzen so graphics aren't any issue.

Anyway, recently I built a cyclops near the island (in deep water right?!) anyway it built fine but then when I docked my seamoth into it, I got ejected into the water and the cyclops flew into the air and like 2000 ms away. Ive tried a few times and only once managed to get it within 400 meters. Is this a bug that has a work around? I'd really like to finish this game and I've been working all day to build this cyclops sub. What a disappointment to finally get it in the water and then have this happen.
  • smalluglyrabbitsmalluglyrabbit Canada Join Date: 2019-08-03 Member: 254066Members
    btw it takes off with the seamoth inside of it... and when I say takes off, it flies into the air, even if its far underwater.... it leaves me sitting where the seamoth previously docked though. I'm guessing I'll just have to leave the seamoth and drive the cyclops around empty?