Somewhat loose suggestions

WhaleTaleWhaleTale Join Date: 2019-07-28 Member: 253976Members
edited July 2019 in Ideas and Suggestions
NOTE: TL;DR is below

Hello all,
I know that a lot of people here love subnautica for its survival elements and it’s absolutely terrifying moments. I’m actually not the type of person to love terror, but I found myself becoming oddly enchanted with it.

So, why do I have/love subnautica?

I do love survival games, but mostly I was given this game because I love the ocean. Namely: Whales (if you couldn’t already tell)
So what I end up doing in this game might be a bit different than other people. I spend hours trying to get the perfect screenshots, sometimes risking LIFE AND LIMB (but it was totally worth it). Here’s a few examples (okay, maybe a lot) - There were more, but I lost a LOT after deleting save files not realizing that my screenshots would poof with them (dumb of me):

r9l8rkcuqqle.jpg
lrp58dsczjrv.jpg
ea0txgx6l1qv.jpg
x45uibksbes8.jpg
zacp99ol8vll.jpg
2bive6zm1srd.jpg
xawloy9ck5kk.jpg
hqbcne0gs6s8.jpg
xexjitcvc3aj.jpg
jxv56g2z18li.jpg
h0n949xdl2nw.jpg
1qjco2ymxtt8.jpg
rgt0roue24g3.jpg
pkvv6gtrpe5e.jpg
gqhejgzvluvg.jpg

The warper one is my actual screen background. I love that one.

So ultimately one suggestion which was my nightmare trying to take these screenshots is to have an option where I can remove the player’s…well, limbs. Motion blur I can live with but if it’s possible to have an option to help stabilize that, that would be nice.

Basically, where I’m going with this has a lot to do with the experience aspect. I love the adventure. I love the creatures. I love the scenery. I don’t have any concrete suggestions, but here’s a video to describe a little what I’m talking about (I love Behind the Mask):

Life is an Ocean

Which brings me to my next point:

A lot of the creatures don’t get much interaction or interesting behavioral aspects (other than attacking things - namely me -, which makes sense because a lot of people are understandably and – in some ways – unfairly afraid of the ocean) – They also don’t even really look at you hardly ever. There have been some positive changes in Below Zero in terms of the Sea Monkeys (I know it can be annoying, LOL) and being able to interact a little with the babies. The first Subnautica had Cuddlefish, but it was just a set of the same random interactions, which is fine, but all of those interactions are initiated by the player rather than the animals themselves, which makes it a lot less interesting.

I also love being able to ride the glow whales and the sheer amount of SHRIEKING GLEE I had when I saw them BREACHING was INSANE, but I want to talk a little bit about sea creatures and curiosity/behaviors.

Note: I don’t expect everyone to watch all these videos in all their…time…but just as reference material. Then again, if you’re bored, go for it!

Here’s some examples, we’ll start with pinnipeds (seals, sea lions)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=o4hb84A9h28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=WUNAzyZAn4M

This one’s a leopard seal (you'll have to fast-forward to the part), which I’m 99.99999999% sure was the basis for the brute shark (Also I absolutely love the squid shark, by the way, so cute!)

Sperm Whale Clicks:

Sperm Whales and deformed dolphin:

The benevolent nature of humpbacks(and other fun stuff):

In Tonga/Tahiti, BUCKET LIST ITEM (I also need that dude’s shirt)

Humpback Mugging

Another bucket list: The gray whales of San Ignacio Lagoon

Minke Whale Sounds (If you can’t be bothered to watch the rest, make sure to listen to these):

Pew pew pew pewww

Right Whale asks for help:

More Right Whales:

Belugas are…most commonly…filmed for their interactions with guests at theme parks/aquariums, but here’s some wild belugas:

And lastly, my favorite, the dominant (supposedly terrifying for some people?) apex predator, the orca:

Orca Brains:

Here’s some orca interaction with humans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=nW5cpSl4RAw

More about Luna:

Orcas of Argentina (the beaching ones) and their relationship with Roberto Bubas:

Other videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=fWtK5BGe3Po

ORCA SURFING!:

So, after all that’s said, TL;DR:

1) It'd be nice if it was easier to take pictures (possible motion blur solution) and/or have a picture mode to remove limb obstruction
2) More creature-initiated interactions (even if it just means them swimming up to you and looking at you before swimming away at some point)

Comments

• MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Those are great pics,

If you're playing on the pc you can try console commands.

Out of these, I believe the most helpful ones should be:
    - freecam
    - speed
    - invisible
    - spawn

There should be a few topics scattered around the forum about screenshots. And about marine life.