Maybe gorges can build one cyst?

MeadesJeffMeadesJeff Canada Join Date: 2019-01-01 Member: 247730Members
Now that the gorge tunnels have been balanced so that only commanders can build them on infestation, I thought about what if gorges were able to build one standalone cyst?

Playing gorge feels less involved now without tunnels and this could help involve them in the team more. The tunnel building would still require the commanders decision.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    This was discussed at length for a long time and was decided against, because it allows sneaky gorges to get a cyst up, then the comm drops a tunnel and we have the exact problem that was trying to be solved with the moving of tunnels to commanders in the first place.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Personally, I find the gorge role much more involved than it was before. I am a much more active aggressive gorge than I was before. I do wish hydra's had a little more health, but otherwise this new gorge is fantastic from my point of view.
  • MeadesJeffMeadesJeff Canada Join Date: 2019-01-01 Member: 247730Members
    Kasharic wrote: »
    This was discussed at length for a long time and was decided against, because it allows sneaky gorges to get a cyst up, then the comm drops a tunnel and we have the exact problem that was trying to be solved with the moving of tunnels to commanders in the first place.

I guess that's true. Ive just found a lot of tunnel placements are a lot worse from alien commanders than they used to be from gorges. But I digress, I just have to get over it.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    I don't usually command, but I've had a bit of trouble placing tunnels. It seems that there is sufficient space but I'm not allowed to drop them so I just place them haphazardly. That may account for some of the poor placements.

Could be just me being bad though. There's probably some pathing logic I don't know about preventing it. Might be something else but it has caused alien commanders problems in the past.

Nordic wrote: »
    Personally, I find the gorge role much more involved than it was before. I am a much more active aggressive gorge than I was before. I do wish hydra's had a little more health, but otherwise this new gorge is fantastic from my point of view.

I don't really feel that much of a difference in being an aggressive gorge from that long ago patch where webs were free. Sure hydras are free but they take so much energy you can't rely on deploying them in combat. Babblers are super annoying to marines I guess?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2019
    I spent a lot of time setting up defenses around the tunnel I would make. Now I set up defenses in a choke point. I keep moving the defenses forward or backward as necessary because it is all free.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    I see. I mostly use them as a scouting tool because my team usually doesn't get parasites / hold lanes.

I guess committing to a single point is better. It seems hard though, the energy cost of setting up is massive and its harder the closer you get to marine spawn / phase gates. Not to mention marines would steamroll your defenses if you don't have teammates.
    My goal is not to stop the marines, but to delay. Hydras, babbler, and them trying to kill me makes them pause. I set it up so that I can escape. If they blow through that choke point, I will move it back to a different choke point.

At least this is the strategy I have taken to better or worse. I don't have the aim to land enough gorge spits, or the game sense to know the exact moment to leave, so I try to affect the game in other ways.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Perhaps it's time to give back Gorge one Cyst, now that Cyst chain is so easily cut off. Good marines exploit it and can completely ruin early game alien economy on certain maps.