UPDATE 328 RELEASED ON STEAM - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited June 2019 in NS2 General Discussion

imageUPDATE 328 RELEASED ON STEAM - Natural Selection 2

Update 328 includes an upgrade to Visual Studio 2017 runtime, continued balance tweaks in response to the last update, updates to DirectX 11 (getting us closer to ditching DirectX 9...

Read the full story here

Comments

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    Cool always nice to see some perf improvements!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    So now that it states in the change log that server performance has been improved should we expect the player limit to be returned back to 24 now as previously we were told that it had to be limited for performance reasons. Thus now there is no reason to keep it limited...
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Uhh this build completely fubar'd something with the end game stats screen (which unless I'm mistaken is part of shine?)

The last game I just played I was listed on the Marine team (was never a Marine) and was listed on Alien team TWICE! Once was my actual score, the other was some random score (from a previous game maybe?)

The build order was also super glitched showing 3 arms labs dropped, 3 armor 1 upgrades researched, two weapon 1 upgrades researched.. etc And they weren't just duplicates as they all had different time stamps... Armor 1 at 1:35, followed by Armor 1 at 1:53, followed by Armor 1 at 2:03, etc etc.

Other than that everything else seems great. Gained a 10-20 fps boost :smiley:
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Hmmm I played NS2 last night no problem. Loaded up the game today to an empty server list, quit the game and checked integrity of game files... now the game won't launch. Restarted my computer and uninstalled/reinstalled NS2 didn't help. Anyone else having the same issue?

Windows 7
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Question. How do you turn off the alien evolve reminder but keep the parasite/scan indicator? I want one but not the other. Thanks.
    Aeglos wrote: »
    Question. How do you turn off the alien evolve reminder but keep the parasite/scan indicator? I want one but not the other. Thanks.

^^^THIS!!
    That "evolution available" popup got super annoying really quick...

It's a great idea for helping remind rookies they can evolve, we just need a way for veterans to turn it off without having to turn anything else off.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    Just turn Hints off
    edited June 2019
    Handschuh wrote: »
    Just turn Hints off
    ??

I already had hints off..
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2019
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Just turn Hints off
    ??

Have you tried turning it off an on again?

Edit: Mofo, I think you missed my reference. I wasn't trying to be helpful, but if it works it works. The IT crowd was really funny.
    edited June 2019
    Actually didn't think of turning it on/off, don't see how that could help but i'll give it a try next time I hop on.

Back to the build.. I really really REALLY dislike how the personal res doesn't overflow to your team at 100.

I can sort of understand the logic behind it, but there are many instances where I will hit 100 res.

"So spend it" you might say...

Well there's sometimes isn't anything to spend it on, like when you're a Fade slaughtering their team. Why go Onos if you're better at Fade? Why waste 78 res to go Onos only to die right away, then be unable to afford Fade again?

Or what about if you go Gorge at the start and survive the entire game? Then you hit 100 res and have people pressuring you to spend it on a higher lifeform, even though you have plenty of higher lifeforms already and you're doing far more damage with bile bomb!

I'd say I hit 100 res at the very least 1-2 times a week, to suddenly have all that res just lost... to be forced to basically throw it away on crap you don't want or need, just to avoid hitting 100...

It kind of sucks.

• skav2skav2 Join Date: 2007-05-28 Member: 61037Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Maybe they turned it on for everyone? I dont mind this so new people get the idea. I would just want a message below it that says how to disable it. Btw good job on the animation + art it looks great!

Also is anyone getting some bad hitching after this patch? Its not consistent but it when it happens its a solid half second of lag.

Hive skill and the Scoreboard are all kinds of messed up. It seems to be not resetting after every game and keeps track of everything from the last few games.

Since 327 the bars on the left side of the screen have been having issues as well. I will take a screenshot next time but the bars on the left side

• skav2skav2 Join Date: 2007-05-28 Member: 61037Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited June 2019
    Nordic wrote: »
    Just turn Hints off
    ??

Have you tried turning it off an on again?

Found the IT guy
  • Me9aMe9a Join Date: 2008-03-27 Member: 63981Members
    I had the problem:
    The program can't start because D3DCOMPILER_47.dll is missing from your computer.
    Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

After installing:
    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4019990

everything works again.

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    @Aeglos @MoFo1 play on low hud details and disable viewmodels maybe?
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Mephilles wrote: »

Unfortunately, I want my viewmodels.

Its okay though, all I have to do is evolve to a lifeform and not die. Simple.
    edited June 2019
    Mephilles wrote: »

I also don't want to disable viewmodels, and low hud detail takes away other info I like having at a glance...

It should be tied to hints. Disabled hints = no evolution reminders.

Unfortunately that isn't the case.

Also please please PLEASE set it so marines spawn with 2 IP no matter what!!!!

It's super frustrating to have people demanding the game not start until we have enough players for 2 IPs to spawn.. Even worse when they call for resets due to no 2nd IP...

The fact that the 2nd IP spawns automatically when you get enough players doesn't seem to matter.

Even more frustrating when you are one player shy from getting that 2nd IP for free (with someone connecting no less) and the commander throws away 20 res buying it. 20 res that could go towards weapon or armor upgrades.
  • XaleXale Paris / France Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24767Members
    Reduce IP Cost to 15 instead fo 20... please...
  • israrootmisrarootm Brazil Join Date: 2019-06-25 Member: 253495Members
    Me9a wrote: »
    I had the problem:
    The program can't start because D3DCOMPILER_47.dll is missing from your computer.
    Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

After installing:
    KB4019990

everything works again.

That worked. But now only D3D9 works.
    The option to use D3D11 does not appear.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited June 2019
    The fact that the 2nd IP spawns automatically when you get enough players doesn't seem to matter.
    This is rather an information Issue... maybe a serverwide message would be useful when a second IP is being spawned automatically.
    Back to the build.. I really really REALLY dislike how the personal res doesn't overflow to your team at 100.
    This has not changed in the build. I'd rather have it overflow as well, but yeah I understand the balance arguments against it as well. Regardless this is the wrong thread to discuss this!

Since it won't change for now I just tried to make it more visible because there are tons of misinformation about whether they overflow or not.

israrootm wrote: »
    The weird thing in the option is you have to go LEFT to use DirectX 11 from DirectX 9
    This is rather an information Issue... maybe a serverwide message would be useful when a second IP is being spawned automatically.

I'm not sure I can agree that it's just an information issue since they're given the information by other players and they just ignore it with "we need it anyway"

Which is SUPER frustrating watching them throwing 20 res away on something we should get for free. 20 res is an upgrade... 20 res is shotguns... it's almost like handicapping your team to waste it.

Could a dev possibly explain the thought process behind not simply giving marines 2 IP regardless of player count?

Also just thought it might be worth mentioning there are a number if bugs I've noticed. I will try to get video of them...

For instance

Not being able to buy a welder on marines.
    46 res, axe in hand, option to buy welder is locked (ie showing red, as if I already had one) Dying didn't fix it either, the entire rest of that game I couldn't buy any welders, had to rely on picking up ones that were dropped.

UI not showing res flow, upgrade progress, etc.
    Showed team res locked at 10 for several minutes with only armor 1 researched, in reality we had w3/a2 with plenty of res.

Marine commander is unable to research any upgrades on arms lab if they get in chair after game start.

Marine bot commander can glitch where it doesn't drop any meds, ammo, or extractors.

Players can spawn at the wrong starting location!
    I've only seen this on refinery so far.. Both times a single marine spawned in the alien main base at game start.
  • israrootmisrarootm Brazil Join Date: 2019-06-25 Member: 253495Members
    [
    The weird thing in the option is you have to go LEFT to use DirectX 11 from DirectX 9
    Yes.
    But it does not show up after the update.

• NovoReiNovoRei US Join Date: 2014-11-18 Member: 199718Members
    GL, Lerk and Alien nerfs, patch after patch. All of which I most liked. Makes me value the time and fun enjoyed before b279.

Now the meta is being updated by SJWs making Aliens "equals" to Marines. If that is what it takes to preserve the community...
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    . Thus now there is no reason to keep it limited...

Bad gameplay
    edited July 2019
    [
    Yes.
    But it does not show up after the update.

Maybe you could provide more... like a screenshot at least... what OS are you using? Interestingly during PT there was a bug that it didn't show up for Windows 7...
    And maybe move your issue to the official ns2 discord :P

I'm not sure I can agree that it's just an information issue since they're given the information by other players and they just ignore it with "we need it anyway"

Which is SUPER frustrating watching them throwing 20 res away on something we should get for free. 20 res is an upgrade... 20 res is shotguns... it's almost like handicapping your team to waste it.

Could a dev possibly explain the thought process behind not simply giving marines 2 IP regardless of player count?
    Because it is considered an Upgrade
    3 IPs on 10vs10 is the same like 2 IPs on 7vs7.. (discussing further here is pointless, see below)

Known issues are afaik:
    - rarely a comm cannot research upgrade on Armslabs
    - rarely spawning at wrong location
    Those are probably caused by the massive optimizations .. probably very hard to reproduce, so provide a vid if possible (also on the other bugs that are at least new to me) or further steps in case you have a way to reliably reproduce it

Generally I recommend to provide any feedback in the #feedback channel in the NS2 discord that is actually read by all the ppl that balance this game.

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    . Thus now there is no reason to keep it limited...
    Bad gameplay

Maybe for you, but not for a lot of us.

I'm still looking for an objective _result_ (not conjectures) that validates the reduction in player count.
    There are no more populated servers than before, nor there are more players overall.