Weapons Testing for Dealing with Beasties

JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
EDIT: Updated the title as it's going beyond just the Propulsion Cannon Cannon and Torpedoes.

As I mentioned here Completing Original Subnautica, I recently started a new Subnautica game intending to complete it. And I'm looking for advice about parts of the game I'm not that familiar with.

One specific feature I'm wondering about here is using Propulsion Cannon projectiles or Torpedoes to deal with some of the difficult beasties in the Lost River and below; are they worth it? In the past, I've tried shooting Gas Pods at Stalkers and couldn't hit them. So it's either target something very big or very close.

I've heard of Propulsion Cannon launched Quartz being used again Warpers. They're slow so it might work. But I've also heard it's better to just get above them and confuse them. Of course, when there's more than one, as well as other beasties....

Anyhoo, I've been gather Gas Pods and breeding Crashfish for future testing. Interested in hearing about other players' experiences to guide that.

Comments

• JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    edited June 2019
    Stasis Rifle

Just did 2 Seamoth runs down to the Jelly Shroom Caves to harvest Shale for Lithium. While I was down there, I also did some weapons testing.

I'd read about a tactic with the Stasis Rifle: when attacked, shoot the ground or a wall near yourself to put the stasis bubble around you. Then the beastie gets stasissed when it goes for the strike. Then you follow up with...well, something. If nothing else, run away!

Turns out the stasis projectiles go through a lot of things without triggering, especially the ground and walls. If you're floating by a vehicle, like the Seamoth, you can shoot at the Seamoth and get the bubble around you. Actually worked a few times, allowing me to scan a Crabsnake.

As with most weapons that shoot projectiles, a big problem with the Stasis Rifle is hitting the target. Popping a bubble around yourself as the beastie attacks can be a good solution for this with the Stasis Rifle.
    edited June 2019
    Propulsion Cannon shooting projectiles

In those Jelly Shroom Seamoth runs, also tried the Propulsion Cannon shooting both Crashfish and Gas Pods. Was almost impossible to hit the Crabsnakes. Might be easier to hit the bigger leviathans. But to those it might do trivial damage and just make them more aggressive.

Anyhoo, as far as I can tell, both projectiles did drive off the Crabsnakes if they hit, but hitting was hard and the damage was trivial. Crashfish are bulky and need to be bred in an Alien Containment. Gas Pods are awkward to gather. I suspect using Quartz might be just as good, easier to gather, and reusable to boot.
    edited June 2019
    Seamoth Perimeter Defense System

This was a good aid against the Crabsnakes. Arranged its mod to put it into slot 1 on the Seamoth quickbar. Noted that when I got back into the Seamoth, the SPDS was always turned off. Got in the habit of typing '1' to turn it back on when boarding.

It can be a power drain. I had a spare Powercell and when the original one got to under 20%, I swapped it. What can be a good method against the Crabsnake is have the SPDS armed; then when you see the beastie close or get damage, shoot a quick pulse, which uses about 1%. Pop out and repair the damage, pop back in, type '1' to arm the SPDS, then get moving.

Later on tried some of this against Bonesharks and it seemed to help.
    edited June 2019
    Repulsion Cannon

I was just in the Sparse Reef, freediving, harvesting Ruby (got 3 :( ). I had the Propulsion Cannon and 6 Quartz. Also had the Repulsion Cannon. Both were on my quickbar.

When suddenly, a wild Warper appeared! And teleported me a short distance.

Then another wild Warper appeared! Both were close.

One of them slashed me; damage was minor due to the Reinforced Dive Suit. No time for fancy ammo handling. Readied the Repulsion Cannon and shot off about 1/3 of its charge at the two Warpers. Also went vertical, rising. Appeared to drive them off.

A bit later, another Warper got close and the Repulsion Cannon appeared to work driving it off as well. Was a bit more economical with power. (Also had 2 spare Batteries if it came to that.

Every time I heard the Warpers teleport nearby, I'd change my movement. More vertical. And kept changing my direction of movement (what was called jinking in WW2 (and spilt-arsing in WW1 :) )).
  • JAZZYFORSUBNAUTICAJAZZYFORSUBNAUTICA Join Date: 2018-05-01 Member: 240453Members
    cool tactics but i usauly dont carry too much, just a reinforced diving suit, a heated blade and a stasis rifle
    cool tactics but i usauly dont carry too much, just a reinforced diving suit, a heated blade and a stasis rifle

That certainly works against many, probably most threats. But I've heard that it can't guard against all. Like Warpers (although most times Warpers can be dodged especially vertically). I decided I'd give the other weapons more of a test to see how well they work.

Propulsion Cannon shooting Floaters

I'd heard about this being used against Warpers and wanted to check it out. While on a Seamoth gathering run in the Aurora rad zone, tried it against a Sand Shark.

I was confident to let the Sand Shark get close and I hit it with the second Floater. That Sand Shark did not like that at all and kept trying to shake it off.

Would work, but it's got the drawback of other Propulsion Cannon projectiles: awkward to load, especially in a tense situation, and hard to hit the target. Might work against Warpers, if prepared at a distance and then closed the range. Of course, knowing Warpers, probably another will come in.

I suspect using the Repulsion Cannon is a better guard against Warpers.
  • mashedpotatomashedpotato Join Date: 2019-06-20 Member: 253432Members
    Tried using Stasis on Warpers and didn't have much success. I could freeze them but when I went in with the Knife I could only get one, maybe two, hits before they warped out.
    Tried using Stasis on Warpers and didn't have much success. I could freeze them but when I went in with the Knife I could only get one, maybe two, hits before they warped out.

Wow, I'd heard it wouldn't even freeze them. Good to know. When they warp out, did they come back or call in other Warpers? Was this enough to end their attack?

Speak of Warpers....

Repulsion Cannon against Warpers

When I was going after the 3 Alien Sanctuaries and their Ion Cubes, I also had to contend with Warpers. I think at least once for all 3 a Warper got close enough to aggro. 2 out of 3 times, I got warped out of my Seamoth and had to fight it out. First time I dodged and reboarded the Seamoth and evaded.

Last time I used the Repulsion Cannon. I had enough visibility to see the Warper gets knocked back a fair distance. They still kept coming though, but the separation allowed me to either reenage or reboard, evade, and get away.

Getting hit once by the Warper wasn't that bad in the Reinforced Dive Suit. I think the problem is another beastie and Warper(s). The Repulsion Cannon might let me push them together and then the beastie might solve my Warper problem.
  • alexisokayalexisokay Join Date: 2019-07-10 Member: 253674Members
    one time a reaper attacked my prawn suit and i had the drill installed so i drilled it's emo little face and it dropped me but then stole my suit when i was looking for it so i could kill it.
  • alexisokayalexisokay Join Date: 2019-07-10 Member: 253674Members
    maybe you could shoot a bleeder at something to kill it