Making water from ice and snow

Shady_oneShady_one Join Date: 2017-04-08 Member: 229491Members
We have plenty of option to quench thirst under water, but how about land? I recently saw in youtube video a player dying from dehydration in the middle of ice and snow. That looks strange and ridiculous. What is my idea:
  • Ice and/or snow can be gathered as resource. This only concerns land ice/snow, as ocean ice is still rich of salt
  • They can be processed in fabricator to make some water
  • As they're abundant, in order to balance them out they may restore just very small amount of water, something like 5 or 10
  • Thus, it will be like first-step water collecting, before player can collect it with bladderfish, bleach or water filtration system
  • In emergency case snow can be eaten to gain something like +1 or +2 water.
  • Even though snow is basically fresh water, eating it is unsafe. So, eating raw snow may cause loss of body heat and/or small amount of health.

This will be helpful for players out for long trips in the large ice fields. About possibility to produce fresh water out of ice:
Natural "desalination" of ice occurs due to the lowering of the salt solution into the lower layers during prolonged freezing, so the older the ice, the less salt it contains. The upper part of the perennial pack ice rising above the ice field level is often absolutely fresh. Such ice is found on the coast, it can be recognized by its peculiar blue color, smoothed shape and shine. The deeper the blue shade of ice, the more suitable it is for drinking water. However, do not use old ice that has been exposed to salty water dust for a long time.

Comments

• AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    I haven't died from dehydration, i died from my game glitching and it sending me into SPACE, poor girl suffocated :'(.
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    I haven't died from dehydration, i died from my game glitching and it sending me into SPACE, poor girl suffocated :'(.

Sorry, off topic, um yes i think that being able to gain water from snow would be a nice touch.
  • darrindarrin Frankfurt; Germany Join Date: 2019-02-15 Member: 250965Members
    edited April 2019
    Ice has a relatively low concentration of salt. But there might be layers or canals of brine, which would have to be extracted. I see no real reason why water from ice shouldn't be quite fine to keep a character alive. And if there's a portable laser cutter or heat knife, temperature shouldn't be an issue either.