ns2_derelict ? Why the hate ?

XaleXale Paris / France Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24767Members
I noticed derelict isn't much played, I don't quite get what's wrong with the map. It's a beautifull map.

Why the hate ? Because 4 tech points ?

In this case, a saw a couple of "Fixed" or "5 tech point" version :

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=4920&searchtext=derelict&childpublishedfileid=0&browsesort=trend&section=readytouseitems

Have any of you tested ? Are they really better ?

Comments

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    It performed like shit on launch, had a couple of performance improvements but I guess the damage was done already. I would love to see it being played more aswell.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited April 2019
    It's still too new... that's the issue.

People just don't want to give new maps a try. It's always "this map is too small" or "this map is too big" or "this map favors marine/alien"

Or my personal favorite of all the bs excuses "this map is too ugly" in a game that everyone runs with graphics settings as low as possible...

I still remember when biodome was considered so horrifically bad it "killed servers" just like derelict supposedly does now. Of course now biodome is played regularly.

Give it another year and derelict will be in the regular map rotation of tram, summit, veil, descent, summit, docking, tram, veil, refinery, summit, veil, biodome, tram, veil, mineshaft, veil, summit, etc
  • XaleXale Paris / France Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24767Members
    It performed like shit on launch, had a couple of performance improvements but I guess the damage was done already. I would love to see it being played more aswell.

Makes sense. Same for kodiak maybe ?

MoFo1 wrote: »
    Give it another year and derelict will be in the regular map rotation of tram, summit, veil, descent, summit, docking, tram, veil, refinery, summit, veil, biodome, tram, veil, mineshaft, veil, summit, etc

Ahaha, don't worry I'm working on some secret project about that redoundant Veil maplisting.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Preface with: I love new maps, and never give hate because of initial perceived imbalance.

But we must have played 20 rounds on captains or no rookies pub when this came out or whenever it was. And it is just awful for aliens. Pretty sure it was type results 19-1 or something. There's no way in or out of the hives to hold any res or expand. Nothing for aliens to play with on dodging bullets.

Might have worked ok in Prog Mod though!
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    My personal main issue was the Tree of Doom in turbine, that gave me 60fps max while looking at it.
    Generally I think soom rooms just need some improvement and cover in order to make it a bit ore alienfriendly..
    Frozen wrote: »
    Preface with: I love new maps, and never give hate because of initial perceived imbalance.

But we must have played 20 rounds on captains or no rookies pub when this came out or whenever it was. And it is just awful for aliens. Pretty sure it was type results 19-1 or something. There's no way in or out of the hives to hold any res or expand. Nothing for aliens to play with on dodging bullets.

Might have worked ok in Prog Mod though!

When it's unbalanced, I just consider it as "hard mode" :smile:
  • skav2skav2 Join Date: 2007-05-28 Member: 61037Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited April 2019
    Handschuh wrote: »
    My personal main issue was the Tree of Doom in turbine, that gave me 60fps max while looking at it.
    Generally I think soom rooms just need some improvement and cover in order to make it a bit ore alienfriendly..

Pretty much my takeaway from the map. FPS isnt great and a lot of rooms aliens just get destroyed in. Last time i played I think w/e the top right of the map is called is just a no for aliens.
    Just made a game.

Not sure about some vent placement, but more than all, I don't understand why there is 2 power points at the center of the map... Biodome or Tram both have only one...
  • LuftwaffelLuftwaffel Germany Join Date: 2014-07-09 Member: 197328Members, NS2 Playtester
    I think a huge Issue was the lack of vents on the map at launch. Especially on the bottom hive location, aliens could get locked in super easily. The current version is great and lots of fun to play in my opinion, but people usually don't give it a chance. A bit similar to kodiak. There seems to be a tendency, that any map that plays a bit different, doesn't do well.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    kodiak has good reasons it doesn't get played though. The core problems are still there (aka biosphere areas playing like ass)