tips on effectively exploring?

razzedrazzed Canberra Join Date: 2016-07-08 Member: 219839Members
Hey everyone,

It was while I was out in my seamoth zooming about when I came across the realization that I didn't really know where I was, or, really, where anything I had previously found. This line of thought was supported by my sheer inability to find the modification station blueprint pieces ( found 1 of 3). I keep ending up and the same few places, and I'm positive I've missed a few major wrecks out there in which to plunder.

I've started throwing out beacons at wrecks/biomes/ things of interest, but it only seems to help a little.
So, I question to the crowd, how do you guys conduct your searching/exploring? Is there some method to your madness or do you just load up on food and fuel and wander the great unknown?

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I've memorized most of the map ages ago and sat through announcements of new additions, so it's less finding to me and more "do I feel like visiting and can I". For what it's worth, there are currently several wrecks you never get a hint to or otherwise are likely to come across when following another lead, so any problems getting your stuff aren't on you.

A rough guideline to use is that there's at least one wreck per surface biome (type, anyway. Ie, there are multiple Kelp Forests and not every one of those contains a wreck). So if you know a biome (type) where you haven't found a wreck yet, it might be worth exploring more.

Fragments can be found outside wrecks too, but there's no tip for finding them. They are biome-tied, so if you come across one you cna look for more, but getting that first one is a matter of luck and attention. Oh, and lifepod signals are triggered by building stuff. Odd and inconvenient, but that's how it is right now. Lifepod signals can be a pretty big help in getting near wrecks, so try to build everything at least once to receive the signals.

Two bugs to look out for -- and the latter afffects the mod station -- are loading troubles with the wrecks and several blueprints' progress not being saved. Sometimes, it takes a long while for a (big) wreck to load and it's easy to pass it by before it loads. There's nothing better to say there then to take it slow, look around, and pay attention to any oddities in the landscape, like small craters. On the upside, right before a wreck loads (and other things, but you only notice with wrecks) it gives off a purple dust light effect. You can see this from pretty far away, so head there if you're lucky enough to be facing the right direction.

The blueprint progress bug is a nasty one and in particular the mod station and PRAWN are affected by this. I advise not to scan a single mod station fragment until you know how to get three in one run. If this bug makes you open to spoilers:
    I found my fragments in the Bulb Zone wreck and the Blood Kelp Trench wreck. The BZ wreck is only just below 200m and above a geyser (of which there are three in this biome). Lifepod 12 leads you nearby and after that you can zoom around following the noise of other geysers. The BKT wreck is below 300m and located in the second half of the trench. That is, if you follow the trench from the Grassy Plateaus and stay a little above it, you'll notice the trench is interrupted by a bridge. The wreck is behind the bridge.
  • Phoenix1278Phoenix1278 England Join Date: 2017-04-27 Member: 230037Members
    It's not too tricky really. You can see the Aurora from pretty much anywhere on the map so you can see the front and back of it, that will give you an idea to where you are. Just remember that the front is pointing toward north east and the back is pointing southwest.
    Then just google a map and Boom! You're exploring like a boss

a map search on google...
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=subnautica+map&tbm=isch&imgil=lvl-NTkF3EUMjM%3A%3BbT4aKWXdTvldMM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fsubnautica.wikia.com%252Fwiki%252FMapping_Subnautica&source=iu&pf=m&fir=lvl-NTkF3EUMjM%3A%2CbT4aKWXdTvldMM%2C_&usg=__G5kWH9cIdO_V3y4Fs9aOvnW5SB0=&biw=1360&bih=652&ved=0ahUKEwjJs-bkuf7UAhXQIlAKHYh5BSkQyjcILw&ei=jU9jWYm5AdDFwAKI85XIAg#imgrc=lvl-NTkF3EUMjM:&spf=1499680616317

Hope this helps you and you can fully enjoy the awesome world of Subnautica :D
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2017
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Beacons, beacons and more beacons! Every time you go out, plan to always take at least two beacons with you. If you aren't carrying beacons when you leave, your first priority is making more beacons. Don't leave home without beacons. Beacons are your friend. Did I mention never leaving home without beacons? :)

I find it extremely helpful to place Beacons on the four points of the compass (N, S, E, W) so I can find stuff easier. It's also helpful being able to turn on/off beacons. I try to place a beacon at the transition from one zone to another zone. For example, when I first find the Deep Grand Reef, I put one there.

Later in the game, I place beacons at sea level for important places--like the entrance to the Deep Grand Reef and then place another beacon at the depths entrance. Beacons, beacons and more beacons.

Oh, and if you want to cheat, there are a TON of maps downloadable. But I highly recommend avoiding those as they ruin the game. Still, it's an option if you want to take it.

• razzedrazzed Canberra Join Date: 2016-07-08 Member: 219839Members
    hey all, thanks for the replies!
    I have indeed always left home with a few beacons under my belt! I might need to get more creative with naming things though, as I'm finding there are often more than one area type about, so I'm running into duplicates.

After another couple of hours of looking about, I think it's time to resort to the spoiler locations for the mod table upgrade. Piloting the cyclops through caves is a bit too challenging I feel, and one regular tank of air just isn't enough to step out and have a good look!

I was planning on avoiding the online maps for the most part. I was half thinking about drawing one up myself and filling in the blanks as I go.

The compass beacons is an idea I was kind of toying with myself! I was thinking placing three as a triangle, all equal distances from each other as a way of pinpointing where I was. Some form of in-game notepad would come in handy.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Beacons are almost important as Bacon.
    B)
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    One of the lifepods has a compass blueprint, which helped me a lot. Fix your lifepod's communication relay and start following the signals. :)

There is a nearly spoiler-free map available on the wikia, clicky. The only thing it has are the Aurora and 2 islands, which I'm sure you can find on your own anyway. If you want precision for your map, pressing F1 will list current coordinates.
  • 5m4llP0X5m4llP0X Join Date: 2017-06-26 Member: 231356Members
    More on what DrownedOut said: watch out for floating boxes. If you see boxes floating GET AWAY. The wreck will soon spawn and whatever you're traveling in will be stuck inside it. The wiki also isn't 100% accurate on item placements. Some things have been removed from those locations and added elsewhere.
  • stagatostagato colorado Join Date: 2017-07-17 Member: 231886Members
    I just looked up the subnautica map on google
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited July 2017
    The most effective way of exploring...

Don't DIE While Doing It.

B)
  • cdaragorncdaragorn Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212685Members
    Beacons are great, but honestly the compass is your best friend. Learn to keep track of what directions you've searched from major landmarks. If you go out 8 major directions from anywhere in the safe shallows, you should hit every major biome and quite a few important locations. There are a few wrecks that have really important blueprints in them that are almost impossible to find, though. I find that eventually I almost always have to look at the wiki entry for wrecks to get their coordinates and just go there. I really hope they fix that and get some kind of game event that will help lead you to those ones in the future.
  • LaserFaceLaserFace USA Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221235Members
    edited July 2017
    Beacons are always great for backtracking.

Though "Keeping your face within 50-100 feet of the ground" is pretty important. Given the state of the game, even if you have an equipped signal you can end up simply not having stuff you are trying to find render until you are about to crash your seamoth into the lifepod.

It's hardly always that bad. But trying to explore without keeping in mind this is an Early Access game with a low overall draw distance. Is how you will end up driving past Degasi deep grand reef base five times on a replay.

It's how those giant islands are essentially invisible until you are right on top of them, so you use the obviously visible floating in the sky degasi base MP room to guide you to floater island, that renders five times farther distance than the island itself.

Etc. Exploration is important. But if you find yourself still lost or unable to find important locations despite how often you are told "Just use landmarks!", remember that those landmarks may not be rendering for you from the distance you are looking, let alone your destinatio- *Entire disease research facility pops into existence driving halfway through the canyon leading to it* Boy good thing I already knew that was there. If I had simply "Used my observational skills", it would seem that canyon leads to an empty room.

I am super hyped for when they finally get to the "Pre-Launch optimization". I'm also going to be super jealous of all the post launch purchasers who will be able to see massive islands and alien facilities before being a propulsion gun's throw away as their first impression of the game.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Veterans have the whole map memorized, but for newbies there's:
    • radio signals leading you to important tech and locations, which can act as landmarks or beacons too. just wait until you have the ability to safely reach the signals as some signals are dangerous to travel to. And keep your signals that can be used as landmarks.
    • The surface has a triangle of 3 important places: Aurora-Mountain-Floating Island. While the Aurora is visible, the others are clouded, so place a beacon there
    • If you have no signal, but feel something else is important, like a wreck to explore, place a beacon.
    • Daylight is important for beginners orientation. Don't play explorer on nights as a beginner.
    • Wait for deep exploration until you have the Seamoth sonar and lots of beacons placed.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    edited July 2017
    cdaragorn wrote: »
    Beacons are great, but honestly the compass is your best friend.
    zetachron wrote: »
    The surface has a triangle of 3 important places: Aurora-Mountain-Floating Island. While the Aurora is visible, the others are clouded, so place a beacon there
    LaserFace wrote: »
    Beacons are always great for backtracking.

Apparently in Experimental the compass and thermometer have both been removed from the game. In existing games, you'll still have the chips for each for now. In new games, you'll only have a compass when in the Seamoth and PRAWN and when driving the Cyclops.

And you now have to find fragments to craft beacons.

I think these changes are just WRONG.
    edited July 2017
    Fragments for beacons. I sincerely hope you are joking...
  • ssutcliffessutcliffe United States Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223565Members
    I sure hope that removing the compass and thermometer is actually a bug... That's not a good change. That is especially true given that it is so hard to place thermal plants so they will actually build. With them tied to temperature, you need to know that it's actually high enough - and with the goofy power issues right now this is even more important. Having to find fragments for beacons should be just for the hardcore who want everything to be a nightmare, not for normal players who want to actually enjoy the game. This is especially true early, when you may be forced to explore wrecks to find the mobile vehicle bay with just a seaglide. That is not fun, that is simply aggravating. And if you couldn't make beacons to come back to that wreck you finally discovered, that's doubly aggravating! These are not good ideas for any but ultra hardcore gamers, which really isn't what Subnautica is about.

Fortunately, this is what Early Access is about - and giving feedback on changes!
    Fragments for beacons. Can't make the radiation suit until the radiation first burns you. Thermometer going away. The developers are certainly shaking things up, aren't they?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2017
    Just go out and do stuff, have enough storage for your toys and stuff, while using the Little Thumbling breadcrum (beacon) tactic...
  • Reaper_Peeper101Reaper_Peeper101 wont tell Join Date: 2019-04-13 Member: 252304Members
    edited April 2019
    Get a Seamoth and get a storage mod. and fill it with water and food and that's it!
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Are you seriously just necoring a bunch of old post with a copy and paste message about "helping people avoid the reaper" despite how it is so easy to avoid by staying at the surface
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    Are you seriously just necoring a bunch of old post with a copy and paste message about "helping people avoid the reaper" despite how it is so easy to avoid by staying at the surface
    It would seem so.
    Reaper Peeper, stop spamming the forum.
  • AltaziAltazi Join Date: 2019-01-16 Member: 248807Members
    I have done this: When I find something that I want to keep track of, I turn until I can see the original lifepod, and note the compass direction and the distance. To return to that location, you go to the lifepod, add 180 degrees to the compass to get your heading, and then swim backwards until you reach the target distance from the lifepod. YOu can make an out-of-game list with descriptions, headings, and distances. Pathetic, I know. You are a member of a space-faring species, with phasegate technology, and you don't have a portable map app on your PDA. GMAFB.
  • subnauticansubnautican bell 3111 dr Join Date: 2019-05-13 Member: 252865Members
  • subnauticansubnautican bell 3111 dr Join Date: 2019-05-13 Member: 252865Members
    narfblat wrote: »
    One of the lifepods has a compass blueprint, which helped me a lot. Fix your lifepod's communication relay and start following the signals. :)

There is a nearly spoiler-free map available on the wikia, clicky. The only thing it has are the Aurora and 2 islands, which I'm sure you can find on your own anyway. If you want precision for your map, pressing F1 will list current coordinates.

You just helped me find the first alien base that you're gonna find :)
    Oh and id make a cyclops have the compass, a couple of beacons and a fully stocked locker system on the top floor filled with food and water then id make a indoor grow bed and grow fruit, then id be off.
  • Peeper231Peeper231 Ireland Join Date: 2019-05-28 Member: 253105Members
    I found the dugassi in the void warning lots of reaper levithians in the area and warpers.?????? ps it’s the ship that says dugassi on it lol.
  • RockaBen99RockaBen99 Join Date: 2019-03-26 Member: 251971Members
    Peeper231 wrote: »
    I found the dugassi in the void warning lots of reaper levithians in the area and warpers.?????? ps it’s the ship that says dugassi on it lol.

WHAT!!! Is that even possible!