ns2_nancy2019

XaleXale Paris / France Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24767Members
edited April 2019 in Mapping
Hey all,

So I did it again. Another (not so good) remake of an NS1 map. ns2_hera2018 has some hates because lots of different height levels, good news is Nancy don't have this problem.

It's based on one of the ns2_nancy hanging on the Workshop for years. Technically this is the Hannibal version improved (yes he gave me his permission). I'm not sure, but it seems as a raw export from the NS1 map. The geometry is sometimes messy, but it's far less messy than the hera one I worked before.

WORKSHOP LINK : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1709422904

Objectives :
- Have a playable version of Nancy with NS2 Gameplay
- See what can works in this map for maybe a complete remake one day.
- For me learning Spark while having an objective.

Important stuff changelog -
- Added OcclusionGeometry
- Added Power-points
- Some Layout changes & Ress nodes
- Added/changed some locations (I try to make some name shorter)
- Invisible Vents & Props for comm

To do :
- Some BOT issue, especially on the Marine side (but ok when you give them waypoint)
- Some corridor needs to be bigger I guess
- Texturing
- still InvisibleGeometry to improve... did my best but some faces seems to be double...

Important note :
- Mother hive can't be spawn as first hive

Don't play this map if your not nostalgic, open-minded and/or willing to help me improving this map aswell as my Spark skills. Thank you !

Don't hesitate to draw me a layout

Overview :

qqr0x2rji52v.jpg

Screens (DX9) :

ftyrzu3gpzh4.jpg

Comments

• XaleXale Paris / France Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24767Members
    Add me on steam if you play it bump me

Hope to test it on the spark crafter collective server !
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    @Xale im interested!
    If you have no server to run it at, i could fire up an 18slot for testing!
    .trixX. wrote: »
    @Xale im interested!
    If you have no server to run it at, i could fire up an 18slot for testing!

Yeah why not ! Add me on steam :

https://steamcommunity.com/id/xale_gc/friends/add/

or click here (this link only work once) http://s.team/p/cqtkc/NNRWHNPK
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    This brings back a lot of memories. Though the long hallways without cover probably need some change.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited April 2019
    I've just started a srv:

foobar's modding server
    46.101.131.165:27015

I'll be online on steam later today...
    Handschuh wrote: »
    This brings back a lot of memories. Though the long hallways without cover probably need some change.

Yeah don't worry I've added some crates in long corridor
  • Hannibal90Hannibal90 USA Join Date: 2014-04-20 Member: 195519Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I originally started this remake, and have decided to resume work on this with Xale.

The map as it exists now is mostly a direct port of the old NS1 map with a couple of corridors added to Bridge.

Some of the key points that need to be worked:

• Mother needs a complete rework. The tech point is lowered beneath the entry level when entering that hive, which makes for a messy spawn situation.
    • Bridge is much better for NS2 as it exists, but I'm upset to see Central Access go away. To me, that was an iconic room and I would like to find some way to recreate it and make it work
    • Subspace Array and Port Engine are too wide open. One could be made to be a little more cluttered and smaller to avoid having two hives that can be GL/JP killed with ease.
    • Cargo is a split level room with a broken elevator and ladders. Ladders in NS2 are not great, so that could be looked at.
    • Lanes are too damn long! Especially Subspace Array to Corridors. Travelling 6 miles for a natural is a bad time.
    • Holy Vents, Batman! This map has waaaaay too many vent lanes, that gets its own list later.
    • ARC, ARC, ARC. Every hive location is way open to ARCs.
    • Mess Hall had its RT removed. This makes in a giant open space (especially when considered with Cargo) with seemingly little value.
    • Starboard Airlock has the res node in a very awkward location, could possibly be move to the south of the room?

Now, having said all of that time for some solutions!
    • Remove the vent from the West side of Mother. Narrow the hallway to Generator and move the Gen side of it to the west corner (Where the vent currently is)
    • Move Port Engine north so that Tunnel comes straight into the room from the West. Move the hive location to the east center of the room.
    • Rotate Communications 90 degrees clockwise and move it to where Corridors is currently located. Have its hallway extend east and then turn 90 North into Port Engine.
    • Move Subspace Array Interface to the East and possibly rotate 90 degrees clockwise.
    • Central Access could be put back in place and only accessible from Port Bridge Access and Lockers, removing PBA's hallway to the Lockers/Mess Hall hallway. Possibly removing PBA resource node?
    • All of the rooms in the center of the map need to be reduced in size and cluttered up a little bit. Perhaps a resource node added back in there somewhere?

Now, on to the vents as promised
    • Subspace Array to Interface vent should have its Interface exit moved to the north west.
    • Port Engine to Mother vent lane needs to not exist. That vent should end at Mess Hall.
    • A vent from the west side of Cargo to Lockers should be added.
    • Starboard Airlock, Lockers, Generator, Mother vent network should be removed.
    • A few vent should be added back in but that can't be determined until the tech points have been moved and redesigned.

That is my current list that I am working on. I am open to suggestions as is Xale, so please feel free to make any comments on the proposed changes I listed as well as any ideas you may come up with.
  • Hannibal90Hannibal90 USA Join Date: 2014-04-20 Member: 195519Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I will attempt to draw up this layout to help things make a little more sense.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    @Hannibal90 the mapping community in ns2 is usually chilling on the SCC discord
    Hannibal90 wrote: »
    I originally started this remake, and have decided to resume work on this with Xale.

[*]Mother needs a complete rework. The tech point is lowered beneath the entry level when entering that hive, which makes for a messy spawn situation.

I already replaced the ladders with stairs. Pathing is now ok
    [*]Bridge is much better for NS2 as it exists, but I'm upset to see Central Access go away. To me, that was an iconic room and I would like to find some way to recreate it and make it work

Iconic maybe but it's not a very beautifull room in my opinion
    [*]Subspace Array and Port Engine are too wide open. One could be made to be a little more cluttered and smaller to avoid having two hives that can be GL/JP killed with ease.

I moved subspace a bit as you can see

Having hive easily killed by JP/GL is NOT a bad thing ths
    [*]Cargo is a split level room with a broken elevator and ladders. Ladders in NS2 are not great, so that could be looked at.

Yeah that's why I added another corridor.
    [*]Lanes are too damn long! Especially Subspace Array to Corridors. Travelling 6 miles for a natural is a bad time.

Just about 12 256 dimension. Trust me, I counted

At first I wanted to move corridor a tiny back but, but then I realise that this ress node is already far for marines
    [*]Holy Vents, Batman! This map has waaaaay too many vent lanes, that gets its own list later.

A little bit but if you compare, veil has a lots of vents too

[*]ARC, ARC, ARC. Every hive location is way open to ARCs.

I don't agree.

I moved subspace because of arc range. And for Port Engine I let communication be an ARC room. Because that is the central hive, and I think it needs to be arcable, otherwise it's OP. It's a big shame central hive in veil isn't arcable anymore, I remember a lot of siege tactics to get rid of than hive.

Thus, Communication doesn't have a RT, so it's just a room for ARC strategy, I don't think it's unfair considering the power of Central hive in general.
    [*]Mess Hall had its RT removed. This makes in a giant open space (especially when considered with Cargo) with seemingly little value.

It was too close from Port bridge access RT. Mess hall it very big and advantage Marine. And I had the Tunnel RT
    [*]Starboard Airlock has the res node in a very awkward location, could possibly be move to the south of the room?

Well, I based on ns2_veil timing for that ress node, and it should match, otherwise it would be too lose from Marine-Start.

• The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I would start with getting the lanes properly set up before moving into more detail stuff.

The way the rooms are connected with each other is a bit problematic. You have basically one center room, where everything has to go through. The Hive location Mother has basically only one exit.

Bridge and Subspace feel like they are completely out of the map. I would suggest having a look at the default way of how NS2 maps connect their rooms (Summit, Biodome, Descent) and start from there. I would also do that without vents in mind, and then adding them as required.