Scanner Room Issue

BinaryAbyssBinaryAbyss Join Date: 2019-03-07 Member: 251561Members
I've already posted about this HalfEvilCoyote's discussion, but I want to expand on it and make sure it gets noticed.

My scanner room isn't working properly. When I turned it on to scan for limestone outcrops, I swam towards the nearest highlighted area on mt HUD, but there was no limestone to be found. At first I thought it was because there was supposed to be limestone there, but there wasn't any, or I had already mined it and the game glitched and still registered it as being there.

Now, however, I think the glitch goes deeper than that, because I also tried to scan for stalker teeth, which by all accounts should be a continually regenerating resource (since those buggers love chewing on metal salvage), but it again led me to four highlighted spots that had 0 stalker teeth.

I'm inclined to think that these resources are in fact present, but aren't showing up in my game, but I'm not sure at this point. This scanner glitch is an issue that needs to be addressed ASAP.

Comments

• LyaliusLyalius Join Date: 2019-03-12 Member: 251706Members
    I have something similar. I've been compiling videos of the glitches because of my potato memory to send to them (or post on here but I'm not sure about video posting on forums since I just made this account) but my main issue with the Scanner Room is the resource list resetting every time.

I mean, once I reset the game and got 1 page then after an issue with a Stalker and my Scanner Room camera drone I reset again and suddenly I had 2 pages of scannable items.

I've also had it tell me wrecks exist in places they don't.
  • madsaucemadsauce San Francisco Join Date: 2013-06-02 Member: 185442Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica PT Lead
    @BinaryAbyss Thank you for posting this separately, it is easier to get lost in a larger list. There is an issue I'm aware of where the scanner isn't picking up resources that exist out in the world, but it doesn't find them until you've loaded the terrain around the scanner room (often times loading a save game or where you travel back to your base before looking at the scanner can affect this). This is probably what @Lyalius is noticing.

This issue you're noticing where it is tracking them but the nodes are not showing up once you swim there is something else.
    • Are you seeing this on PS4?
    • Did you notice any issues with the world loading in(the ground parts of the world)?
    • Can you go to feedback in game where the scanner room is and one where the node is not showing up and send feedback and mention "madsauce" ? This will give me some details about where you're at in the world.
    • Is this a 100% of the nodes are not showing up where they should be, or something else like when they show up they're all there or when there are some missing nodes they're all missing?

@Lyalius thank you for that extra info.
  • LyaliusLyalius Join Date: 2019-03-12 Member: 251706Members
    @Madsauce

• I have this on PC and PS4 but my toaster is more powerful than my PC so yeah, any glitches I talk about on here is just for the PS4.

• Yes I'm used to terrain disappearing by now but the odd part is most times it seems to still be there. Sometimes I didn't even realize it wasn't the environment until I hit an "invisible wall" and then realized I could see through the world but then there are other times where things just don't exist.

Like I was looking for the Cyclops Engine near the Aurora and planned on just holding forward and letting the game move me across the rocks...I wasn't expecting to go straight through them. The Cyclops Engine Fragment I was after however had no trouble sitting where it was, on the rocks that apparently couldn't be interacted with by me.

And it actually happens pretty much everywhere.

I think the biggest issue is when someone plays the game for a long while because really, who follows the "Hey only play video games an hour per day" advice?

So pretty much the Playstation has already loaded a few biomes just fine but the more you swim around the more it has to load and I think it just gets slower.

So by the time we, the player, are zipping around the biome the biome in question didn't get the time it needed to actually load in properly so we're left with missing terrain. The only reason I'm assuming that's the issue is since 9/10 you get the missing terrain back after a game reset.

I mean, the entire Jellyshroom forest went missing for me at one point until I reset the game.

Oh actually speaking of the Jellyshroom Forest do you think you could briefly look at the Jellyshrooms? I...MAY have gotten my PRAWN Suit stuck in one when I was swinging along and somehow glitched through the shroomcap and wound up inside the damn hole of the Jellyshroom and couldn't get out...

I mean I reset the game and got my PRAWN Suit back but still.

• I think the nodes not showing up (or disappearing in cases of destroying hunks of resources with the PPRAWN suit) is again the PS4 having trouble loading things correctly. I mean there was a spot that told me there was a Limestone Outcrop but when I went there I saw nothing but then I saved and reset the game and voila, there it was.

• Oh and an added thing that I noticed is there have always been bugs but they were incredibly rare and minor up until I visited The Floating Islands. That was about the time missing terrain started happening but it was just a small glitch that very rarely happened.

Then I visited The Mountains and suddenly I'm getting glitches every single time I play the game.

I think something about the Islands causes the issues. After @HalfEvilCoyote mentioned that he didn't have issues till he started building I couldn't help but think about the Multipurpose room. I don't know if the coding of it could cause issues or if it's just a coincidence but still it's a bit odd.

Oh the G.U.N. Base definitely has a hard time loading in. Especially the "docking port" for the Cyclops. I get a major lagg spike whenever I ran past that area and whenever I'm actually at the mountains I get lagg spikes just being anywhere near it.

• If I ever got the time to edit and compile my Subnautica glitches that I recorded via the PS4's Share feature can I post it on the forum or would I be better off emailing the links?
  • madsaucemadsauce San Francisco Join Date: 2013-06-02 Member: 185442Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica PT Lead
    @Lyalius thanks for the info, especially the observations about visiting the mountains and then noticing more consistent terrain issues happening. Adding that to my list to reproduce the issue.

For the video/bug observations feel free to reply to my direct message I'm about to send you.
  • TheOne1432TheOne1432 Join Date: 2019-03-21 Member: 251864Members
    i have had the same issue
  • BinaryAbyssBinaryAbyss Join Date: 2019-03-07 Member: 251561Members
    madsauce wrote: »
    @BinaryAbyss Thank you for posting this separately, it is easier to get lost in a larger list. There is an issue I'm aware of where the scanner isn't picking up resources that exist out in the world, but it doesn't find them until you've loaded the terrain around the scanner room (often times loading a save game or where you travel back to your base before looking at the scanner can affect this). This is probably what @Lyalius is noticing.

This issue you're noticing where it is tracking them but the nodes are not showing up once you swim there is something else.
    • Are you seeing this on PS4?
    • Did you notice any issues with the world loading in(the ground parts of the world)?
    • Can you go to feedback in game where the scanner room is and one where the node is not showing up and send feedback and mention "madsauce" ? This will give me some details about where you're at in the world.
    • Is this a 100% of the nodes are not showing up where they should be, or something else like when they show up they're all there or when there are some missing nodes they're all missing?

@Lyalius thank you for that extra info.

@madsauce

[*] Yes, this occurred on my PS4.
    [*] Not at the time that I was using it, no. When I still had the save file, I reloaded it to be sure it wasn't a one-off glitch. Sure enough, the nodes that the scanner room registered as being there, still weren't there.
    [*] Unfortunately, I deleted the save in question, and haven't encountered the glitch in any saves since. I apologize if this makes it more difficult to pinpoint the problem. If this helps at all, I remember encountering the problem between a triple border (Safe Shallows, Creepvine Forest, Red Seagrass Bed). It was not far from a large(ish) wreck in the red ea grass bed, which itself was next to a Jellyshroom Cave entrance. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.
    [*] I don't fully understand the last question. I can tell you that not all of the nodes were missing, but the vast majority of them were false positives on my scanner.

I appreciate the fast response. I know you guys are busting your a**es trying to fix these little messes, and I hope you find the problems soon so you can take a well-earned break.