IRL Size of a Peeper?

YamiHikariYamiHikari Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240266Members
I've been trying to consider what some Subnautica creatures would be like if they existed in real life, but I don't really know much about how I could approximate size in the game. Does anybody know what the dimensions of a Peeper and its various distinct body parts would be if it existed in real life?

Comments

• JAZZYFORSUBNAUTICAJAZZYFORSUBNAUTICA Join Date: 2018-05-01 Member: 240453Members
    Its probably the size of a salmon
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    I'd say it's the size of a flounder, it almost has the same flat shape of one as well.
    6900uibpke1j.jpg

I'd say about this size compared to an ordinary person, moreso the one on the left.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    Grab one and extrapolate the actual size from its size relative to your hand.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Grab one and extrapolate the actual size from its size relative to your hand.

In addition: Go into 'freecam' mode and check out the size from a third-person view while its in your hand.
  • YamiHikariYamiHikari Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240266Members
    @baronvonsatan @Rezca The problem I have with trying that is that I don't have anything to use as reference for the size of the hand. I can kinda~ get the size of the character, but thanks to perspective and other stuff I can't accurately judge the size of the peeper in my hand.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    YamiHikari wrote: »
    @baronvonsatan @Rezca The problem I have with trying that is that I don't have anything to use as reference for the size of the hand. I can kinda~ get the size of the character, but thanks to perspective and other stuff I can't accurately judge the size of the peeper in my hand.

Isn't this kind of a non-problem? Couldn't you just compare the size of your own real hand to that of the character's, especially if you're doing it in freecam mode?
  • YamiHikariYamiHikari Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240266Members
    @Jamezorg Well, no, because the character in Subnautica is more cartoony than IRL people, so the proportions are considerably different. The character's hand is not necessarily comparable to a RL person's hand, especially considering that not all hands are the same size and proportions.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    YamiHikari wrote: »
    @Jamezorg Well, no, because the character in Subnautica is more cartoony than IRL people, so the proportions are considerably different. The character's hand is not necessarily comparable to a RL person's hand, especially considering that not all hands are the same size and proportions.

Unless Unknown World's has a document somewhere specifying the exact dimensions of the player characters, the equipment, and so on - it's just going to be estimates on our part.

Which should be "good enough" I guess, given that fauna IRL also tend to vary in size even among the same species. Assuming the PC of either Subnautica game are sized like your average adult would get you a close enough idea though, even if you won't have it down to the last millimeter. You'd have an idea of what an average Peeper would be like, without taking into consideration some samples might be larger or smaller than the average.

• Hunter387Hunter387 Join Date: 2018-07-01 Member: 241853Members
    I do believe I read somewhere that Riley was around 5’10”