Camouflage Viability

NokyNoky Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71295Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
edited March 2019 in Ideas and Suggestions
Idea for changing how stealth works:
What if camouflage fluctuated between 100% stealth, and the current camouflage visibility (while moving)?

For instance, (and these numbers are completely speculative) the skulk would remain 100% invisible, no matter how fast they were moving, for 1.5 seconds, and after that interval, the skulk would fade from 100% invisible into the current camouflage (while moving) over a span of 3 seconds. Basically, 1.5 seconds 100% invisible, 1.5 seconds fading into 50% invisible (or whatever the number is while moving), and another 1.5 seconds fading toward 100% invisible. The effect could be simulated by the view model opacity. If a skulk is 100% stealth, then the view model disappears, and then the view model would fade in and out according to the level of visibility to the marines. Of course, any damage/scan would remove camouflage completely.

My thoughts:
*helps lower skilled players with timing attacks (they can use the invisibility to bridge the gap since they are typically slower)
*marines will have to rely on sound, obs, and creepy-crawly tactics to counter.
*veteran players might use camouflage as timings during wall hopping to engage.
*the fact that it fades in and out removes the annoyance that players experienced before where skulks were lurking at 100% stealth until an unsuspecting marine walked by.

My questions:
How complicated would this be to program?
What are your thoughts on lerk engagements with this change?
Should this have the same effect with a shade?
What new annoyances do you think this might create for a rookie/veteran player?
What new annoyances do you think this might create for the rookie/veteran using the ability?

Additional thoughts from the community/devs?

Sincerely,
Noky

Comments

• twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2019
    That sounds quite similar to this mod I've been working on:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1422116102

Aliens can sneak within a certain range (16m) without being seen, and then starts to become more visible the closer it is to the observer. At long range, alien can still running at full speed for half a second before uncloaking.
  • NokyNoky Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71295Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    That sounds quite similar to this mod I've been working on:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1422116102

Aliens can sneak within a certain range (16m) without being seen, and then starts to become more visible the closer it is to the observer. At long range, alien can still running at full speed for half a second before uncloaking.

That looks great. The range idea is quite interesting, because there are many maps that have long hallways. It would be nice to sneak from a distance, and get a little closer before you are noticed.