Customizable empty module for the Seatruck

MilkshakeMilkshake Romania Join Date: 2019-01-30 Member: 249782Members
The Seatruck feels like a bit of a downgrade from the Cyclops due to its lack of ability to be designed by the player (other than choosing the order of the modules).
It would be nice to include a module that is blank and allows the player to build in it. This would allow for things like plant pots, or a module that involves both a fabricator and some storage lockers, etc.

Additionally, it would be great to include an upgrade module that allows for upgrades to be installed for the Seatruck. Thereby it can have functionalities such as the Cyclops' sonar and shield generator.

Comments

• AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    I just want the snowfox to not get damaged when i do awesome tricks like, ramps, spinning in the air, doing a back flip, etc.
  • JAZZYFORSUBNAUTICAJAZZYFORSUBNAUTICA Join Date: 2018-05-01 Member: 240453Members
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    docking bay?

A docking bay would be too small for anything except a snowfox if it was associated with the seatruck @JAZZYFORSUBNAUTICA .
  • JAZZYFORSUBNAUTICAJAZZYFORSUBNAUTICA Join Date: 2018-05-01 Member: 240453Members
    i played creative on subnautica BZ yesterday there is a docking module, but it can only carry the PRAWN suit
    (BZ means below zero for people trying to figure it out)
    I think that it would be obvious.
  • darrindarrin Frankfurt; Germany Join Date: 2019-02-15 Member: 250965Members
    To be honest. I don't like the sea truck at all and I think Subnautica is heading in the 'wrong direction' this way (at least for my taste).
    For me, it's more like a sea train (a truck would have a single, very large compartment) and I don't want to play a train simulator.

I doubt they can make the compartments truly customizable (except offering predetermined choices). Because every customization create countless possibilities for graphical glitches. As an example: Right now, the sea train can be 'parked' in a non-horizontal position - something that was barely ever possible with the cyclops - and even such a 'tiny thing' causes massive graphical issues (like glitching though the ceiling, getting stucked, etc).

• RevelerReveler Bremen, Germany Join Date: 2019-02-20 Member: 251139Members
    Milkshake wrote: »
    The Seatruck feels like a bit of a downgrade from the Cyclops due to its lack of ability to be designed by the player (other than choosing the order of the modules).
    It would be nice to include a module that is blank and allows the player to build in it. This would allow for things like plant pots, or a module that involves both a fabricator and some storage lockers, etc.

Additionally, it would be great to include an upgrade module that allows for upgrades to be installed for the Seatruck. Thereby it can have functionalities such as the Cyclops' sonar and shield generator.

That's exactly what I think.
    I loved the cyclops for the possibility to customize it. Add a fabricator, set a lot of plant pots in the middle of the cyclops, additional storage boxes and so on. It was my mobile station to build bigger stations in the deep.
    At the moment it seams to be a downgrade from the original subnautica.
    And it doesn't look like to have more possibilities in the future of the game.

Now with the support of Vesper the character seems to have less possibilities to build vehicles than before. I also miss the seamoth. :'(

I'm excited to see how they will implement the power consume of the SeaTruck. So far I haven´t seen any possibilities to build power cells or battery change modules in BZ in the experimental branch.

In my opinion, they will still have a lot of work with the SeaTruck after the second EA at 02/27/2019.

Sorry for my bad english.
  • darrindarrin Frankfurt; Germany Join Date: 2019-02-15 Member: 250965Members
    edited February 2019
    Well, I can understand where the concept of the Sea Truck is coming from.

I for one, really wished that I would have had more design choices for the Cyclops.

On one occasion, I wished I could have created a smaller version that would be easier to steer through narrow entrances or through non-horizontal caves. On other occasions, I wished I could have had a second docking bay to take both a Seamoth and a Prawn Suit with me. Or I wished the interior would allowed me to add an alien containment section, a water filtration machine, a better scanner station or even remote cameras)

So it's just 'natural' if a developer comes up with the idea of a completely modular truck-like design. But at least for me, the concept is full of flaws.

F.e. just compare the Sea Truck with the Caterpillar from StarCitizen ( There, the main module is placed at the stern of the ship and the variable modules are large enough to make full use of the modular concept.

The Sea Truck on contrast only has modules the size of (half) a bed and has a fix interior design. I mean, my Cyclops had 2 rows of 8 wall lockers each just on one side of the lower deck. It also had 2x4 glass lockers on the upper deck (in front of the torpedo bay), as well as multiple plants, a table, several medkit stations a comm station, a mod station, and both a battery & cell recharger. (https://imgur.com/a/iOSTNog) Try this with a Sea Truck!
    ____

So if I were to choose, I would have sticked to the Cyclops design, but would have changed the way it's fabricated and modified.

F.e. I would have never introduced the 'Mobile Vehicle Bay'. Both the Prawn Suit and the Seamoth should have been fabricated inside the moonpool. And the Cyclops should have been fabricated just like you would create a new habitat.

But instead of having just a single layout option for the Cyclops, I would have let the player choose from different bow, middle & stern sections and let them choose to either skip or double the size of the middle section.

Once the player has finished the overall hull design, he'd then choose different interior or hull modifications... just like he chooses to modify their base. I.e. choosing whether they wish to add a docking bay, or if they instead prefer an alien compartment or just more space. Choose between a battery or nuclear engine, etc. And by making the hull integrity part of the HUD, the whole upper bow section would have been freely custumizable by the player.

In the end, you wouldn't have a completely modular design, but the player would have enough choices to call the ship their own and the given space would have been used way more efficiently than the Sea Truck will ever hope to accomplish (there are no separate trailers and the interior is customizable).