Abandoned Trello boards and Subnautica Mods: A couple questions

Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
Good-evenin' folks. It's been quite a while since I was last here (I believe it was some time during the release of the Silent Running update) and I thought I'd pop in briefly to ask a few small questions to the Subnautica Devs.

First things first: What's going to happen with the Trello boards?

I'm specifically talking about the Development and Roadmap boards, which haven't been updated since October and February of last year respectively.

Now, I understand that you've moved your development updates for Below Zero to Favro. However, I have not seen anything related to the previous boards on there beyond the mention of Cloud Saves and the Spikey Trap. Therefore, I inquire:
  1. Will the Trello boards ever be updated in the future to show the progress made on the stuff currently featured on their cards?
  2. Will anything still in progress on the cards be moved to the Below Zero Favro Board (Perhaps under a "Subnautica Vanilla Cleanup" section or what have you), followed up with the near-complete archival of the Trello Boards aside from links to the Favro Board (in the vein of the Below Zero Trello Board)?
  3. Has anything under the Expansion pack, maybe, future section of the Roadmap been considered/implemented? I'm mighty curious about things like that Quality of Life update, making the Sea Dragon more interesting, The Cyclops Dock and practically everything else under that section.

Regarding Mods:
  1. Are you planning to officially incorporate mods into either game?
  2. If so, have there been any mods presented on the Forums/NexusMods which have piqued your interest?
  3. If not, will you still provide resources to facilitate and support the modding community, such as; Steam Workshop integration, a Mod Directory/Downloader/Manager under an option in the Main Menu, dedicated modding tools, etc.?

And finally, a question unrelated to the above two topics:

Once development of Below Zero has concluded, how much (if any) of Below Zero's content will be backported into Subnautica Vanilla (given how you're now developing the former as a semi-sequel to the latter as opposed to an expansion campaign incorporated into a single game)?

And that's about it. Congrats on the success of Subnautica and I hope Below Zero is just as, if not moreso successful.

Comments

• WaterBatmanWaterBatman UK Join Date: 2019-01-11 Member: 248543Members
    Some excellent questions. I for one, hope they don't forget about the original game.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited February 2019
    Some excellent questions. I for one, hope they don't forget about the original game.

I'd heard in several locations they've called the base game 'Done' and the only updates it'll ever get moving forward are Bug Fixes and Optimization. "Cool planned but never implmented things" like the Cyclops Docking or things in BZ ported backwards (Weather, Control Room, etc) are likely to never happen. I recall seeing also a "Map Editor" on their Trello before the move, but with Below Zero taking up their time I don't see that happening any time soon, if ever.

I'd be disappointed if the base game never got anything new, even if it was just a small thing, but opening up a Map Editor would probably fill that void quite well. Want a new biome, re-open the Deep Grand -- ILZ passage, remove all the reapers, stick a sea dragon above the caves in the Mountains? Go right ahead, you'll have the tool and nobody will have reason to badger the developers about it anymore since you can do it yourself.

As for Trello itself.... Well, with the move to Favro I've found it a lot more confusing to follow along with than Trello was, but I'm slowly gettng the hang of it. Trying to find recent changes and additions is a little more cumbersome than Trello was. Since Below Zero's their priority right now I find it unlikely they'll do much with the original game's Trello board or begin making an effort to port it over to Favro as well. After all, the game is for all intents and purposes "complete".
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    Rezca wrote: »

I'd heard in several locations they've called the base game 'Done' and the only updates it'll ever get moving forward are Bug Fixes and Optimization. "Cool planned but never implmented things" like the Cyclops Docking or things in BZ ported backwards (Weather, Control Room, etc) are likely to never happen. I recall seeing also a "Map Editor" on their Trello before the move, but with Below Zero taking up their time I don't see that happening any time soon, if ever.

I'd be disappointed if the base game never got anything new, even if it was just a small thing, but opening up a Map Editor would probably fill that void quite well. Want a new biome, re-open the Deep Grand -- ILZ passage, remove all the reapers, stick a sea dragon above the caves in the Mountains? Go right ahead, you'll have the tool and nobody will have reason to badger the developers about it anymore since you can do it yourself.

As for Trello itself.... Well, with the move to Favro I've found it a lot more confusing to follow along with than Trello was, but I'm slowly gettng the hang of it. Trying to find recent changes and additions is a little more cumbersome than Trello was. Since Below Zero's their priority right now I find it unlikely they'll do much with the original game's Trello board or begin making an effort to port it over to Favro as well. After all, the game is for all intents and purposes "complete".

I just hope they reconsider after Below Zero is done, because there are so many other cool ideas im sure we all would love to see!
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members

I just hope they reconsider after Below Zero is done, because there are so many other cool ideas im sure we all would love to see!

Agreed, but at that point I kind of feel they'll be moving on to other projects rather than look back on the completed Subnautica and its expansion. :/
    We'll just have to wait and see I guess.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

I'm betting backporting features via mod may strike some modders' fancy. Not sure how hard it would be though. If UWE did just ONE thing for both Subnautica and Below Zero, it should be to do everything in their power to make modding as streamlined and conflict-free as possible. If they did just TWO things, it should be to add a map editor. Between the two, you would see Subnautica in 20 years much the same way as FreeSpace 2 is now -- still going strong. (OK, well, FS2 actually had its source code released as well, so there's that.)