Nesting and parenting

SilkSpiderSilkSpider Join Date: 2016-10-22 Member: 223305Members
edited September 2018 in Ideas and Suggestions
Well, since there are already eggs in the game. Rather than just randomly materializing out of nowhere, it would be cool if we could actually see at least some creatures making nests and laying their eggs, and then actually having the eggs eventually hatch, and watching creatures raise their young. As well as creatures becoming especially aggressive if they have offspring.

I think it would be really neat, make the game world feel much more varied and alive. If nothing else, at least some of these critters should be getting t least slightly pissed about me snatching their eggs...

Comments

• LeeTwentyThreeLeeTwentyThree Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236321Members
    I’d like this idea. It would be cool to see dangerous fish like stalkers and bone sharks protecting their babies, and would also make picking up eggs a challenge.

But unfortunately the game is pretty much done with development, even though they have daily bug fixes or tiny features such as changing the news.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    Good idea for the next one though.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Nesting and Parenting is an amazing idea.

Currently, eggs are spawned randomly at select locations in a biome. This means an egg can be 20 meters away from any creatures to, so it's fully unprotected. This is kinda immersion breaking to me, as it shows a unnatural phenomenon where creatures don't care for their eggs, even with highly larger predators located nearby.

With the inclusion of nesting and hatching while outside of a tank, immersion would be bumped up and the game would make more sense. Instead of you being the only one who can hatch babies, now they would be able to hatch on their own. Parent fish would seem more real, circling and protecting the eggs with their lives. It would also add a challenge to getting eggs, making fish attack you before you can grab them so you have to time your movements.

I really like the idea if you can't tell.
  • SilkSpiderSilkSpider Join Date: 2016-10-22 Member: 223305Members
    This was one of the few redeeming aspects of the game "Spore" in 2008, IMHO - you could actually see creatures laying their eggs and raising young. Befriending a baby creature was easier than befriending an adult, but if you attacked and ate any of their eggs or killed their babies, they would go permanently hostile.

It would be an awesome thing to see in many games, but especially this one, where you spend all of your time in a completely wild environment, untouched by human civilization. Not that I want this game to be like "Spore" in any other way, shape, or form, mind you, since literally everything else about that game was buggy half-implemented crap and heaps of promises that never materialized. Lame.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    SilkSpider wrote: »
    Not that I want this game to be like "Spore" in any other way, shape, or form, mind you, since literally everything else about that game was buggy half-implemented crap and heaps of promises that never materialized. Lame.
    You just described every single game in which devs get too ambitious and start promising whatever to hype their game.
    And of course they can't live up to their promises... Games feel much like politics these days.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    SilkSpider wrote: »
    Not that I want this game to be like "Spore" in any other way, shape, or form, mind you, since literally everything else about that game was buggy half-implemented crap and heaps of promises that never materialized. Lame.
    You just described every single game in which devs get too ambitious and start promising whatever to hype their game.
    And of course they can't live up to their promises... Games feel much like politics these days.

How lamentably true. Hopefully Subnautica is the start of a long running quality franchise that sees such improvements gradually implemented as the series unfolds.
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    Speaking of series, does Subnautica feel like it is a series to anyone else other than me? I've only seen two or three games have multiple versions.

If you've heard of Godzilla (which you probably have, because there are like thirty versions of it) then you can relate to me with the never ending series feeling, even though so far, subnautica only has two games.

But i did see, and/or create the topic for a subnautica three, with the agreed name, Subnautica: Deep Within, the link:

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/155484/a-third-subnautica#latest