Wireless Xbox 360 controller deadzone issue

SyrionSyrion Join Date: 2019-01-30 Member: 249791Members
edited February 2019 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
It's probably less of a bug and more of an oversight, but as it leads to unintended behaviour of the game I thought it might still be suitable to post it here.
I was using a wireless Xbox 360 controller for Subnautica, but it seems there is no way to set a higher deadzone for the joysticks. The controller in general (not just my specific unit) seems to have a comparatively high sensitivity specifically for leftward movement of the left joystick, making it register at even tiny angles, so much so that I always have to set a deadzone of about 21% in any game that allows for it (which, from what I've read, is in line with what developers typically program into games supporting it). But, apparently Subnautica doesn't allow for changing the controller deadzone, if it has one built in at all. I've tried looking for fixes and posted on reddit before, unfortunately to no avail. (Also, searching for a Subnautica-related "deadzone" is a bit tricky :| ).

Specifically, it means that I oftentimes accidently move to the left or constantly exit out of menus, making it really uncomfortable to use the gamepad at all.

The only proposed fix I saw mentioned was starting Steam Big Picture mode, calibrating the controller using its options and starting Subnautica from there. Unfortunately, the controller settings from Big Picture mode don't seem to be carried over to the game (I'm using the Epic version, which I added on Steam and had it run without the Epic client. I don't know if the Big Picture mode behaviour is different if the game is running "natively" off Steam)

A trickier workaround would probably be using a different xinput driver/wrapper that includes deadzone settings. But, from my previous experience this caused the controller to not be recognized as an official Xbox 360 controller anymore and it's a bit of a hassle for a single game.

Is there any way to fix this on my end? Also, does anyone else have any experiences to share? This specific gamepad is really common, so it would make me wonder if I'm alone with the problem.
If nothing else, this should count as a suggestion to include a deadzone setting in Subnautica (and Below Zero, unless it already does).

Comments