PS4 - Crash on second load

CochonouCochonou France Join Date: 2019-01-19 Member: 249024Members
edited January 2019 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
On PS4 1.06 (and previous versions), the game almost always crashes during the second load operation of a game save.
This does not happen on first load.

To reproduce:
- Start the game
- Load a game save
- Play for a while (this step is actually mandatory - I failed to reproduce the bug without it)
- Go back to the main menu
- Load a game save
-> Crash (at the "Loading level (XX%)" stage)

No corruption of game saves is happening in this case - the save will load nominally after restarting the game.

This is not a game breaker, but it would be nice to see this fixed.

Comments

• FluffyskywordFluffyskyword Join Date: 2019-01-28 Member: 249521Members
    edited January 2019
    My game crashed while it was saving and i feel like that caused it to lag more and crash more. It's sincerely bugging me since I've been waiting 3 years to play this game because i cant afford a pc. I got this game about a week ago and already have over 50 hours on it. Never had issues before it. I'm concerned if its the game or the game file thats having the game lag and crash more. please help me if there is anything to help with this is really bugging me. 
  • CochonouCochonou France Join Date: 2019-01-19 Member: 249024Members
    This might not be related to your save - in the current version of Subnautica, performance does drop in late game (see for instance here).
    Although I did not experience many in-game crashes, some other people did.
  • madsaucemadsauce San Francisco Join Date: 2013-06-02 Member: 185442Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica PT Lead
    @Cochonou Thank you for these steps, we will take a look at repro'ing them. About how long would you say you need to play in a game before exiting out and loading a save?

When you leave the game and then load a game:
    • Are you saving the game before exiting to main menu?
    • Are you loading the save game you had just previously played?
  • CochonouCochonou France Join Date: 2019-01-19 Member: 249024Members
    edited January 2019
    Dear @madsauce,
    I did further investigation following your questions.
    - The bug happens whether you save before exiting to the main menu, or not (different save or same save)
    - You do not have to play for long - I guess this is linked to the game loading new areas. I could reproduce it on a save in the Lost River junction. Doing a trip from this area to the Safe Shallows through the Blood Kelp trench (shortest path I know - play time: 6 minutes), then quitting to the main menu and reloading the previous save in the lost river triggered it.

The game then crashes with the standard error message CE-34878-0.

I hope this will allow you to reproduce it.

Actually, you can see a similar report here :
    Worse, if you quit to the opening menu and then attempt a reload without exiting the game completely, it crashes with the standard 34878 PS4 error.
    This was a bug report related to the teleporter issues, but there were actually two different bugs into one report: one for the teleporter, and one for the crashing issues.
  • madsaucemadsauce San Francisco Join Date: 2013-06-02 Member: 185442Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica PT Lead
    Thank you very much @Cochonou , this is super helpful. Passing this along to the team.