Refrigerator/freezer for storing food so it doesn’t go bad

awesomegamer9786awesomegamer9786 Join Date: 2018-07-25 Member: 242467Members
edited December 2018 in Ideas and Suggestions
Isn’t it annoying when your food rots before you can eat it? We have refrigerators now, so why can’t we have them in a game that takes place in the future?

Comments

• Nuclear_FaceNuclear_Face Join Date: 2018-12-16 Member: 246016Members
    That actually is a great idea. It should require an advanced wiring kit 2 titanium and 1 quartz. What do you think?
  • VenomouusVenomouus Join Date: 2018-12-16 Member: 245913Members
    Great idea! I agree with Nuclear_Face, Advanced Wiring Kit, 2 titanium and 1 quartz. I feel they would keep storage kind of limited though.
  • JesusTheBirdJesusTheBird United States Join Date: 2018-12-20 Member: 246506Members
    theres a few ways I would like this implemented

1: if you want small storage...have a mini fridge. 12 slots, low power/build requirements with medium spoil rate.
    2: mid game...dryer/smoker. 8 slots. medium power/build requirements with slow spoil rate.
    3: mid to late game..a large freezer. 18-32 slots. large power/build requirements with slow spoil rate.

you could make a table for spoil rates considering what food you are using and what method you are using. If you combine methods...say.. smoker and freezer. you could add a multiplier to the spoil rate...or negative spoil rate depending on how you perceive this.

raw fish in a freezer could last 3-5 days
    dried fish(smoker) put in the freezer could last 9-15 days
    maybe thats a bit OP..but im sure balancing could be done with relative ease

• awesomegamer9786awesomegamer9786 Join Date: 2018-07-25 Member: 242467Members
    theres a few ways I would like this implemented

1: if you want small storage...have a mini fridge. 12 slots, low power/build requirements with medium spoil rate.
    2: mid game...dryer/smoker. 8 slots. medium power/build requirements with slow spoil rate.
    3: mid to late game..a large freezer. 18-32 slots. large power/build requirements with slow spoil rate.

you could make a table for spoil rates considering what food you are using and what method you are using. If you combine methods...say.. smoker and freezer. you could add a multiplier to the spoil rate...or negative spoil rate depending on how you perceive this.

raw fish in a freezer could last 3-5 days
    dried fish(smoker) put in the freezer could last 9-15 days
    maybe thats a bit OP..but im sure balancing could be done with relative ease

Good ideas!
  • Frontrunner1970Frontrunner1970 US Join Date: 2018-12-09 Member: 245400Members
  • Naughty_NautNaughty_Naut Join Date: 2019-01-03 Member: 247907Members
    Food goes bad to prevent people from hoarding and ruining their experience with a full inventory. It's a hint, how NOT to play.
    But if people insist on playing house a fridge could be added, but with huge permanent power draw. This could be a second hint coupled with the life lesson, how fridges tend to be single biggest energy hungry appliance. Of about 1000 kWh per person per year about 200 kWh is spent on a Fridge.
  • RivynRivyn United States Join Date: 2018-12-26 Member: 247146Members
    Food goes bad to prevent people from hoarding and ruining their experience with a full inventory. It's a hint, how NOT to play.
    But if people insist on playing house a fridge could be added, but with huge permanent power draw. This could be a second hint coupled with the life lesson, how fridges tend to be single biggest energy hungry appliance. Of about 1000 kWh per person per year about 200 kWh is spent on a Fridge.

Considering I can keep the lights going in my large base without a power draw, I don't see the issue. But, I also get behind said power draw, just for immersion purposes. Don't actually see an issue when you can just use nuclear energy.

And sure, it's not practical to hoarding early game, but mid to late game? I don't see a problem with that. You're hoarding everything else as it is. Or maybe that's just me.
  • Nuclear_FaceNuclear_Face Join Date: 2018-12-16 Member: 246016Members
    I believe humans would have developed an energy efficient fridge to store food without consuming much energy before having the technology to partake in deep space travel and build huge portals to other worlds. So having a fridge would make perfect sense
  • bogdmasterbogdmaster Join Date: 2019-01-05 Member: 248084Members
  • Haze33EHaze33E Michigan,USA Join Date: 2018-12-30 Member: 247574Members
    I'd like a food dehydrator and a nutrient block fabricator much more then a fridge.
  • RagashGrrRagashGrr Polska Join Date: 2018-12-21 Member: 246596Members
    Maybe, maybe a small fridge at the begginning but only for a fried fish.
    I don't see a point of fridge in this game, especially mid/late game because it would ruin all the fun in catching fisch and checking your food/water bars.

The more you play the less you need the fridge!
    - you can build Aquarium to store fresh fish early game ;
    - in a mid game you build:

• JayDuJayDu Join Date: 2019-01-08 Member: 248337Members
    I dive in real life. You CAN eat in the water, food always go with lots of sea water into your mouth.
    frozen food? don't think it work in the water, it always thaw faster then in the air.

make it reasonable, the frozen food works only in the base, or on the cyclops, right?

ok, but frozen food lasts forever under zero, therefore ou don't need the fridge in the ice cold water, but need it in your base instead.
  • GryphonGryphon England Join Date: 2019-01-09 Member: 248445Members
    It sounds like a good idea, but isn't this what curing food is for? You require an extra ingredient and can then store it. Plus, like many other people have said, there are aquariums, containment etc.