Going to ask about multiplayer? Read this first.

scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
edited March 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
So, very common posts include "could the developers add multiplayer," or "co-op would be cool!" or even "Here's a poll: who thinks there should be multiplayer?" In fact, it's rare that a full week goes by without the issue coming up. This is a suggestion board, and it's a suggestion. What's wrong with that?

Well, apart from being a bit of an etiquette breach to ask a question that's already been asked 2,200 times, there's a real problem:

Multiplayer cannot happen.

I really hate to burst your bubble (oddly appropriate metaphor for a game that takes place underwater), but the truth is that Subnautica simply cannot support multiplayer. It's not a matter of people being unaware that there's an interest in it, and it's not stubbornness from the developers. The game just can't do it, so please, please, for everybody's sanity, don't ask. It just can't be done.

Subnautica cannot support, and will never have, multiplayer.

You can stop reading here, if you like. But if you want the why, that's coming next.

Making a game into a multiplayer piece isn't easy. It's not like adding assets like a new creature, a new tool, or even a new biome. That's done by creating another object inside a software framework that already exists. Essentially, it's like making a new document in Notepad; you're not doing anything fundamentally new.

Multiplayer, however, is what's called a core element. This means that it has to be built into the game's engine - the software that makes it run. Subnautica's engine wasn't designed to handle multiplayer, and that's the engine that's been used for all of the game's development since it was a twinkle in a developer's eye. Changing a game's engine isn't a simple matter - in fact, almost all of the time, it just can't be done because it would mean throwing out all the work that's been done so far and starting from scratch.

Put more intuitively, totally renovating an in-game asset, like when they redesigned and expanded the Aurora, is like remodeling the 24th floor of a skyscraper. It doesn't change the fabric of the building, just part of its appearance. Big job, but doable. Trying to add multiplayer would be like saying "we don't want the second floor anymore; remove it." You can't do that without taking down the entire skyscraper. Same deal here: to add multiplayer would be to take a fully-functioning game and roll the clock back to the point where it's just a little code and lot of hope. And Subnautica is dead, which nobody wants.

So could they ever make a multiplayer version? If the devs decided to write the next Subnautica from scratch, maybe. But this game, Subnautica, won't have multiplayer. Ever.

Don't believe me? I'm not a developer, so maybe you don't want to take my word for it. That's okay; I don't mind. You can read it for yourself, directly from the CEO.

Sorry if this is disappointing, but as you can see, there really is a good reason for the "no multiplayer" refrain on the forums. So, please, enjoy the forums, give your ideas or contribute to the suggestions; we're happy to have you! And enjoy Subnautica for what it is: a single-player game set in a beautiful, immersive (not a pun), vibrant, and highly detailed world.

Just, please...don't ask for multiplayer again, okay? :)

Comments

• SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Someone needed to say it. Thanks for writing this really detailed explanation for all the people who keep asking for multiplayer, as theres literally at least one multiplayer suggestion a day.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited March 2017
    *does multiplayer post on April fools*
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    At least I won't break anymore walls
    Instead I will break tables if someone ask for Lethal weapons
    And houses if someone request something stupider than multiplayer
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    At least I won't break anymore walls

I wish I had your faith that people would actually notice this.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @Foxy : Can we have this stickied? Pretty plox with mutiplayer thread repellant on top? :)
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    edited March 2017
    Multiplayer, however, is what's called a core element. This means that it has to be built into the game's engine - the software that makes it run. Subnautica's engine wasn't designed to handle multiplayer, and that's the engine that's been used for all of the game's development since it was a twinkle in a developer's eye. Changing a game's engine isn't a simple matter - in fact, almost all of the time, it just can't be done because it would mean throwing out all the work that's been done so far and starting from scratch.

You state that it is impossible to add multiplayer to a game engine that wasn't designed with it in mind. Truth is, it can be and has been done, and without redesigning the entire game from scratch, but it's a big chore.

Still, it is much better to design the game engine from scratch to support multiplayer, even if you never intend to use it, because then it is an option that you can add if and when the users demand it (ok forget the "if", players are going to demand MP in any game these days. I have actually seen players demand a multiplayer version solitaire. No shit!).

That said, I don't see a great benefit to multiplayer Subnautica. Yes, you could collaborate on bases and share blueprints, vehicles, materials and so on, but that can lead to problems (especially the base building, what with structural issues and all).

Edited due to misinterpreting the OP.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is a useful post for sure but unfortunately I don't think it will solve anything. Flayra already has a stickied thread that addresses this issue and people don't read that, namely because they can just hit 'Create Thread' without any prerequisites. The best thing to do is for one person to link each multiplayer thread to Flayra's thread and the use the flag > report function and/or tag a mod/admin so we can come along and close down the thread. Besides, stickying threads about game policy on the public forum is something that should ideally be handled exclusively by the Dev team, as they quite rightly want to control the messages that are presented to the Subnautica audience.

That being said, thanks for taking the time to post this, its always good to see people contributing :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    Multiplayer, Coop mode, 2 players, two players
    ***********, **** ****, * *******, *** *******

:trollface:
    Foxy wrote: »
    This is a useful post for sure but unfortunately I don't think it will solve anything. Flayra already has a stickied thread that addresses this issue and people don't read that, namely because they can just hit 'Create Thread' without any prerequisites. The best thing to do is for one person to link each multiplayer thread to Flayra's thread and the use the flag > report function and/or tag a mod/admin so we can come along and close down the thread. Besides, stickying threads about game policy on the public forum is something that should ideally be handled exclusively by the Dev team, as they quite rightly want to control the messages that are presented to the Subnautica audience.

That being said, thanks for taking the time to post this, its always good to see people contributing :)

While true, a new user would have to check in another thread besides Ideas and Suggestions to read the sticky. Maybe copy Flayra's thread to Ideas and Suggestions and sticky that? I dunno. I guess then it's... a little more glaringly obvious than it already is now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    While true, a new user would have to check in another thread besides Ideas and Suggestions to read the sticky. Maybe copy Flayra's thread to Ideas and Suggestions and sticky that? I dunno. I guess then it's... a little more glaringly obvious than it already is now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's the ideal solution, but since that didn't seem to be happening, I figured I'd try to spray for multiplayer posts myself. :)
    Knowing how people are there will still be some people who will request it and not notice that it says no multiplayer
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited March 2017
    Most welcome, @Foxy! If there's ever anything I can do, just let me know; I'm always happy to help! :smiley:

Incidentally, the redirect you planted is sending people to the latest post, so they may not understand what they're supposed to be reading. (Granted, it's only about a 2% chance they're going to read it anyway, but...) If you send it to /p1 instead of #latest, it might give better results.
    edited March 2017
    Most welcome, @Foxy! If there's ever anything I can do, just let me know; I'm always happy to help! :smiley:

Incidentally, the redirect you planted is sending people to the latest post, so they may not understand what they're supposed to be reading. (Granted, it's only about a 2% chance they're going to read it anyway, but...) If you send it to /p1 instead of #latest, it might give better results.

Well, for a new user who hasn't actually read that thread, it should (if I understand correctly) lead them to p1 anyways (as they haven't read any of the thread). If they have read the thread, it will take them to where they left off (since you read the whole thing, that would be the last post). You could test this with a brand new account, but I know at the very least, if you load it while signed out (easy check: right-click and "open in Incognito (Chrome) / Private (Firefox) window").
  • SmithyRulesSmithyRules United Kingdom Join Date: 2017-12-21 Member: 234537Members
    edited December 2017
    I see allot of excuses as to why there can not be multiplayer...

Rebuttle time.

A small group created a fully functional multiplayer mod for skyrim...
    FOR SKYRIM...while subnautica is great....THEY REBUILT SKYRIM IN THEIR MUM'S BASEMENTS.

Seconondly....the game is advertised as a muliplayer underwater survival game....which led to many purchases of the title...just to be told after paying....na sorry mate.

Thirdly....to this day it states on the loading screen some features like multiplayer may not function as intended untill the full release.

Now I get the a pc community will stand for a studio getting you to pay for half a game then living off the profits and never actually finishing it....day z....h1z1. ....pubg....half the steam catalogue....but now you have made promises to real gamers not to the word processing squadron of keyboard warriors.....now you have no man sky'd us....remember what happened to their studio after they played us for fools to get our cash.

Pc are lightweight ...you just slapped the mum of a super heavy weight.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Those "excuses" have been supported by explanations as to why it's close to impossible to add multiplayer this late in development for a tiny dev team that has bills to pay. Those basement devs you mentioned, although a valor effort, they don't have employees, rent to pay

Also...

Can you cite your sources for that claim, where was Subnautica marketed as a multiplayer survival game. Cause I'm quite curious where you got that idea from, especially since you're putting on the gloves and want to fight.

You wanna fight brah, you wanna fight? :tongue:
    Stop casting revive on dead threads
    Stop casting revive on dead threads

You wanna fight brah \o/
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    The ellipsis, the pain.

Also @Kouji_San subnautica was once listed as multiplayer, by user defined tags but now that seems not the case so @SmithyRules is probably using an image I posted when it was defined as multiplayer, cause I remember it was on there once.

Anyway adding multiplayer into skyrim is one thing but for subnautica it has to render a lot of variables:
    The location of every fish in the local area which at some times could render in the hundreds.
    Resource locations and spawning.
    Possible future features like weather, different wave types and water particles.

Also with the skyrim. Do they had to use third party software like himatchi which could lead to a whole lot of malware, I can still hear the screams of my first laptop till this day.
    @SmithyRules That screen you're talking about is the bog-standard Xbox disclaimer for *ANY* Game Preview game, if I'm not mistaken. In other words, it's not a Subnautica notice, it's a Micro$oft notice, so go talk to your heavyweight Mum M$ about that issue.

As was mentioned before, some users put user-defined tags with Multiplayer on Steam, as it was at one point being considered.

Finally, there's a modding team trying to implement multiplayer in Subnautica as we speak, so that's kind of cool.
  • CryoconCryocon Ohio Join Date: 2017-10-20 Member: 233632Members
    I realize this is a necro but I got curious about something while reading it. I often have problems with delayed loading of terrain while travelling withseamoth or seaglide. Wouldn't that problem be doubled if the game was trying to load 2+ different perspectives, assuming the parties decided to explore different parts of the map?
    If it was local multiplayer (2+ players on the same system), then yes.
    edited December 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    If it was local multiplayer (2+ players on the same system), then yes.

Four score and seven years ago, I remember the day we had proper, beyond 2 player local multiplayer on the NES 69.gif

300px-NES-Four-Score.jpg

You have no idea how long I've awaited this day to be able to use this. Many thanks @0x6A7232 and just in time even!
    edited December 2017
    Or just play Subnautica Special NES edition

https://m.imgur.com/5fhV7gz

hairgelnotincluded

My phone is stupid and doesn't like me uploading pics on here for some reason.

hairgelnotincluded

Seems legit!

I think they disabled the upload feature, it's also not visible on Chrome PC anymore
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    edited December 2017
    Kouji_San wrote: »

hairgelnotincluded

Seems legit!

I think they disabled the upload feature, it's also not visible on Chrome PC anymore
    ohDKCIOh.jpg
  • MasterForgeMasterForge Join Date: 2018-01-30 Member: 236234Members
    Multiplayer cannot happen.

Hey, sorry for the thread resurrection. I wanted to say i appreciate the time you took to make the post and offer an explanation in terms that were easy to understand and also use to explain to others.

I have a question, not that i'm planning to start a "why no multiplayer?" debate. Simply as your own opinion, would multiplayer make subnautica more fun, less fun, or have no impact for you? Assume in this case, the game has multiplayer and didn't negatively impact the development process. I'm asking out of curiosity :]
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    Aaaah, hu hu, subantica c-can't h-h-have mmultiplayer, w-why, ha ha! (sniffling)
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    Over dramatic post are my thing, but i would ask the same question, how would multiplayer make subnautica more/less fun than it already is? You'd have to cooperate with others, hope others don't steal your stuff, pray that other players don't take over your base, which, if you think about it, actually would happen, and avoid players who're trying to kill you, which, if you think about it, would also actually happen.