Prawn Suit Upgrade Ideas

Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
edited January 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
Hi,
i haven't been playing Subnautica for about a year and was not active in the forum as well. After trying out the Prawn Suit for the first time i had some ideas:

1. Climbing Claw - Arm Module
With the Jetpack thing and the Grapling hook you can pretty much climb up any wall already. So why this and how should it work?

It's basically used like the regular fist but cannot collect items. Instead it will grab onto walls and as long as the button is pressed down, the suit will stay in place. Up there you now can look around in something like a 120° angle and do things like aiming your Grapple or mining stuff properly, using the prop canon, punching the creature you're holding on to... and other stuff.

Two of these would enable you to climb up any wall or hanging from a ceiling. While being less quick than the Grapple it's more of a precision tool to make other tasks easier.

2. Multi Tool - Arm Module
Okay, i'll make this short:
- Habitat Builder
- Scanner
- Repair Tool

All in one.
The tools are switched thorugh by pressing either 1 or 2 (depending in which slot the arm is equipped to) and are then cycled through like batteries.

Other nice options would be:
- Terraformer
- Transfuser
- Adding the Propulsion Cannon to this Module entirely.
- Dive Reel

3. Stasis-but-not-stasis-rifle-Thing - Arm Module
Works like the Grapple.
Shoots a line that connects to a target.

If target is a creature, it's stunned.

Stays stunned as long as you hold the button.

Drains crazy amounts of energy while in action.

Edit:
4. Floodlight - Upgrade Module
Lets you have a big bright floodlight on top of the suit....
Do i really have to explain? I want to see more things than those less than two meters away and directly in front of me.

Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    I like 2 but make it work as a Welder, Laser Cutter, and Builder, label it the "Construction" arm.

#3 is pretty good as well, but it could work more like a laser cannon that shoots a "Stasis Beam" that instantaneously freezes a single target for a few seconds.

I'd like for a Chainsaw arm that can rapidly cut through coral and creatures without collecting coral bits.
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    I like 2 but make it work as a Welder, Laser Cutter, and Builder, label it the "Construction" arm.
    Although the laser cutter fits the theme of a tool arm much better, think about it... wrecks are to narrow to enter with the suit. What do you even have this for?

The scanner on the other hand would make sense from a logical standpoint. Would you endanger your quest of survival by scanning a reaper close up by hand? As the spearhead of a research mission it'd only be obvious to equip those suits with a scanner ... or at least give the opton to do so.
    #3 is pretty good as well, but it could work more like a laser cannon that shoots a "Stasis Beam" that instantaneously freezes a single target for a few seconds.
    The idea behind a stungun with a wire connection was to prevent it from becoming to much of a ranged weapon. To keep some of the action and danger intact.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    edited January 2017
    Although the laser cutter fits the theme of a tool arm much better, think about it... wrecks are to narrow to enter with the suit. What do you even have this for?
    Rather than being used to enter wrecks, it could be used to slice Scrap Metal Salvage off of certain parts of wrecks.
    The scanner on the other hand would make sense from a logical standpoint. Would you endanger your quest of survival by scanning a reaper close up by hand? As the spearhead of a research mission it'd only be obvious to equip those suits with a scanner ... or at least give the opton to do so.
    I agree, but it doesn't need to be part of a Construction arm. Have it as a separate arm, or a built in system that passively scans nearby objects one at a time, while also instantly scanning anything you pick up.
    The idea behind a stungun with a wire connection was to prevent it from becoming to much of a ranged weapon. To keep some of the action and danger intact.
    The Action and Danger comes when dealing with more than one target at once due to its much lower rate of fire. i.e. Bone Sharks, River Prowlers, Lava Lizards

• Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    Rather than being used to enter wrecks, it could be used to slice Scrap Metal Salvage off of certain parts of wrecks.
    I agree, but it doesn't need to be part of a Construction arm. Have it as a separate arm, or a built in system that passively scans nearby objects one at a time, while also instantly scanning anything you pick up.
    I wouldn't mind finding a good use for the lasercutter aside from opening sealed doors. The idea to decide the limit of a multitool by it's name and theme is something i can't fully agree on if it means making unnecessarily much extra content that could be fused into that one tool.

But if there were to be a "construction" arm, there had to be a "exploration and research" arm as well if you ask me.
    something in the lines of: Scanner, Sample Collector (knife), Beacon Dispenser (recollectible)
    Dude i'm really crazy for that scanner tool °-°

Or an arm module that accesses tools you stored in the suits inventory. That'd let everyone decide for themselves what to take on a journey.
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    edited December 2018
    I think the scanner would be a useful arm, you can swim up to a reaper and not risk getting eaten as fast, and that Climbing Claw idea is great, the chainsaw arm idea is, well, if you think about it, there would be blood EVERY WHERE, and fauna skin parts, and internal organs, horrifying you ask me, in short, bad idea.

What I was thinking was on another post (with some modification) you mite have seen it, but if not: A net arm, one you can press a curtain button and a net will fire, and when/if it hits something, it will close up and the fauna will be trapped, the modification part of this is, when you get on land or into your base, you can right click on the arm and take off the net, with the fauna, and either eat what you've cot, or put it into an alien containment unit.

Oh ya, the construction arm idea, with the habitat builder and the other stuff, brilliant, and i mean BRILLIANT, i can see it now, me and my PRAWN suit going around and moving rocks and changing around mountain positions, creating caves for homeless fauna, lol. Anyway, good idea, i would hope the devs add that.
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    A Pickax-Grapple arm, you can use the PG to climb and then press a button like R to release and fly through the air, and the other arm could be a propulsion canon arm, or something.
    I had a thought for the multi-tool, you could decide what to put into the arm, like put a drill arm in the first slot, a propulsion canon in the second, and the construction arm in the last. That would leave you with six different options for arms. Though that would leave you with a lot of power and you could just switch right away, but maybe you have to go into a decision place to decide what arm to use at the current moment, and if your being attacked, the fauna will still move while choosing the right arm, and then you'd have to wait for five seconds before the arm would be ready, that would make it harder to use, even though everyone would still use it.
  • jamescoolcrafter15jamescoolcrafter15 Canada Join Date: 2018-11-10 Member: 244612Members
    I've categorized what Ithink is all of the stuff you'd want into a simpler version.

Research/Exploration Arm: - Scanner, Flashlight, Pathfinder, Dive Reel, Light Stick
    Xeno Arm: - Terraformer, Transfuser, Repulsion Cannon, Propulsion Cannon
    Construction Arm: - Repair Tool, Habitat Constructor, Laser Cutter, Fire Extinguisher could be added if you want
    Defense Arm: - Knife, Thermo Blade and Hardened Blade could be added on, Stasis Rifle
    Stasis String Arm: - As you described
    Climbing Claw: - As you described
    Ok, can you repeat that? Just slower, and so it makes sense...
    Wait, why would a Fire Extinguisher arm be in the Construction category, wouldn't that be in a Repair and Modify arm category, speaking of which...

Repair arm: - Fire Extinguisher, Repair Tool, Welder
  • NewtNewt Join Date: 2018-12-31 Member: 247698Members
    You could also have a repulsion cannon, but that would work better with the idea of having different tools in the storage of the prawn suit
    edited January 2019
    What? I don't understand that, say that again in a different way please.
  • StiopaStiopa Join Date: 2018-12-29 Member: 247554Members
    edited January 2019
    How about simply a custom multitool arm with 3-4 slots, that we can fill ourselves?

edit: duh, it was suggested a few posts up. +1 for that idea.
    edited January 2019
    You can just click the "Agree" option you know?
  • PeeperSweeperPeeperSweeper Join Date: 2019-01-26 Member: 249425Members
    I like 2 but 4 could be very useful too.
    Where did anyone say two? Seriously.