Discovered reason for game crashing when launching. access violation

bbydlrbbydlr United States Join Date: 2018-11-24 Member: 244887Members
I had a Citrix product on my machine, Citrix Workspace. Workspace is the newest version of the Citrix Receiver line of products. I uninstalled workspace and the game launches fine.
Read from location 0000000e caused an access violation

Citrix and the Unity engine don't like each other?

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    If you ensure nothing Citrix-related is open (no processes running that are related to it), can they co-exist?
  • m3adowm3adow Join Date: 2018-12-15 Member: 245810Members
    edited December 2018
    While I am not OP, I had the same problem. I couldn't find any running Citrix processes (not 100% sure though, the application spawns dozens of processes), but still got the crash with the same 0000000e Access Violation.

I could fix the issue without uninstalling Citrix by disabling the "Citrix Virtual Bus Enumerator" in the Device Manager.
  • LordKillZoneLordKillZone Poland Join Date: 2018-12-18 Member: 246245Members
    I have same problem nothing helps.
  • 100PercentUnsure100PercentUnsure California Join Date: 2018-12-20 Member: 246424Members
    Can confirm!

Subnautica crashed on startup with almost identical error logs, through at least 10 trials of uninstalling, re-installing, re-installing in different drives, and updating firewall/security/basically everything else on the Troubleshooting manual. After seeing this thread, and deleting Citrix Workspace, the game immediately loaded on the next try.

Obviously this is a super niche solution to a widespread problem, but for those of us who use Citrix, ? I guess I'll prioritize Subnautica over Citrix.
    Looks like this is fixed in later versions of Unity, so this will resolve itself when UWE updates Subnautica to Unity 2018, see here.
  • madsaucemadsauce San Francisco Join Date: 2013-06-02 Member: 185442Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica PT Lead
    We do have some bugs/issues on the Experimental Steam branch right now, but that should be using version 2018.x if anyone finds that more of an appealing option than killing Citrix. We'd also be glad to hear feedback if that issue is resolved by using the experimental build.
  • CamelSlayrCamelSlayr United States Join Date: 2019-01-01 Member: 247751Members
    m3adow wrote: »
    I could fix the issue without uninstalling Citrix by disabling the "Citrix Virtual Bus Enumerator" in the Device Manager.

This worked for me too! Thanks!
  • zherocoolzherocool Join Date: 2019-01-15 Member: 248759Members
    edited January 2019
    madsauce wrote: »
    We do have some bugs/issues on the Experimental Steam branch right now, but that should be using version 2018.x if anyone finds that more of an appealing option than killing Citrix. We'd also be glad to hear feedback if that issue is resolved by using the experimental build.

Sadly the experimental build didn't work for me. I even tried killing all Citrix processes that were running and still was unable to launch the game. After uninstalling Citrix I was able to launch the game both on the experimental branch and on the regular branch.

And for an interesting update. I've reinstalled Citrix again and Subnautica still launches as expected on the regular branch.
  • sooner2k1sooner2k1 Join Date: 2018-12-15 Member: 245862Members
    OMG I can't believe I finally stumbled on this solution. I've spent weeks trying to figure out first why the original Subnautica stopped working, then worked after a fresh Windows 10 install, then stopped again. Then to have that repeated all over again. Never would have thought an application suite required by my company would be at fault.

I also started on the Epic store, which had zero support... so there's that. Found this solution after digging into the troubleshooting guide. I could have sworn there was no reference to citrix when I checked a couple weeks ago.
    sooner2k1 wrote: »
    OMG I can't believe I finally stumbled on this solution. I've spent weeks trying to figure out first why the original Subnautica stopped working, then worked after a fresh Windows 10 install, then stopped again. Then to have that repeated all over again. Never would have thought an application suite required by my company would be at fault.

I also started on the Epic store, which had zero support... so there's that. Found this solution after digging into the troubleshooting guide. I could have sworn there was no reference to citrix when I checked a couple weeks ago.

The issue was bumped a few weeks ago, so it's now nearer the top instead of buried from a year+ ago.
  • haeihaeihaeihaeihaeihaei Join Date: 2019-02-01 Member: 250013Members
    Can confirm this also fixed my issues with not starting it, since we are using Citrix at work for remote access.
  • EthringEthring USA Join Date: 2019-01-30 Member: 249772Members
    Awhile back I had to do a complete windows reinstall which ended up with me having to reinstall all of my Steam games as well. To date, everything has worked fine EXCEPT for Subnautica. It crashes every time I try and start the game. I don't use Citrix, that I am aware of at least, and have gotten zero help from Steam. Recently, when I heard that Epic Games service was giving Subnautica away for free, I downloaded it from them but have exactly the same results when trying to fire it up. The game Icon shows up in my toolbar, I might get a flash of a load screen and then it either gives up, or occasionally locks up. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    edited February 2019
    @Ethring Copy - past to pastebin.com and then post the link to your Subnautica_Data\output_log.txt -- since you can't post links, make it like this: pastebin .com/QWERTY123
  • SwampwallabySwampwallaby Join Date: 2019-11-25 Member: 255905Members
    Just to note that as at 27-Nov-19 after the Big Little Update, Subnautica still fails to start with no output_log.txt file generated if a standard install of Citrix exists on the same machine.

Disabling the "Citrix Virtual Bus Enumerator" in the Device Manager fixes the issue and does not appear to impact Citrix in any way that I have been able to tell. Since the fix is so simple, it would be nice to see it included on the pinned Steam troubleshooting post, rather than hidden away here.
  • styxgeiststyxgeist Join Date: 2020-08-30 Member: 263668Members
    Just to note that as at 27-Nov-19 after the Big Little Update, Subnautica still fails to start with no output_log.txt file generated if a standard install of Citrix exists on the same machine.

Disabling the "Citrix Virtual Bus Enumerator" in the Device Manager fixes the issue and does not appear to impact Citrix in any way that I have been able to tell. Since the fix is so simple, it would be nice to see it included on the pinned Steam troubleshooting post, rather than hidden away here.

This guy above. I had this issue with another unity game and came across this forum while searching for Citrix Unity issues. I've seen a lot of people complaining about this in various online locations but this is the only fix that works I've come across where I still need to keep Citrix installed and there is no update for the game. Thanks!