Subnautica on Epic games, launcher won't launch, any ideas?

BlindGuardianBlindGuardian Canada Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217604Members
I have Subnautica on my Xbox, but I see with Epic games I can get it on pc for free for a few weeks...I go to subnautica on epic games' store front, click install, then I install the epic games launcher, and that's as far as I can get.

The launcher shows it's loading with the spinning cursor but then just stops and never opens. Ive tried reinstalling and repairing but still nothing. I even found a few threads that recommended putting open gl at the end of a line of code and still nothing.

I know this isn't the epic games forum but figured someone here might know

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited December 2018
    Hang on, I'm installing it to check it out (already have it on Steam, but snagged it anyways). Check in \Epic Games\Subnautica\ for output_log.txt -- it might be in a subfolder like Subnautica_Data or something, I'll tell you when I find the exact location.

EDIT: Mine loaded just fine, and yeah, the output_log.txt is in Program Files\Epic Games\Subnautica\Subnautica_Data -- upload it to pastebin.com and post the link to that here.
  • RodrigoG44RodrigoG44 Brazil Join Date: 2018-12-14 Member: 245739Members
    I have the same error, can someone help me? pls
  • BlindGuardianBlindGuardian Canada Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217604Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Hang on, I'm installing it to check it out (already have it on Steam, but snagged it anyways). Check in \Epic Games\Subnautica\ for output_log.txt -- it might be in a subfolder like Subnautica_Data or something, I'll tell you when I find the exact location.

EDIT: Mine loaded just fine, and yeah, the output_log.txt is in Program Files\Epic Games\Subnautica\Subnautica_Data -- upload it to pastebin.com and post the link to that here.

I can't even download the game, the actual epic games launcher does nothing when I click on it. Seems a lot of other people on the internet have run into this issue but no one really has a fix from what I can tell
  • DaveTheAubergineDaveTheAubergine Join Date: 2018-12-15 Member: 245769Members
    My subnautica is just very zoomed so much that I can't even see the menu.
  • retardant21retardant21 Join Date: 2018-12-15 Member: 245791Members
    i am already installing it
    ugh i hope it doesnt have a catch :/:/:/:|:|:|:|
  • WilliamdelangWilliamdelang Nederland Join Date: 2018-12-15 Member: 245855Members
    Same problem here.

today at Epic games store bought for free, and played for 3 hours this afternoon. (firts time i start the game, no problems)

But this evening i start the game and it wil not load anmore. Just a black screen, (i thnk the same: My subnautica is just very zoomed so much that I can't even see the menu. )

A black screen, on the left top game is saving...

When i click my mouse, a get a windows message, subnautica is not responding any more.

Please help?

William
  • MalforMalfor Join Date: 2018-12-16 Member: 245894Members
    edited December 2018
    I'm having a similar issue I had to add the game to the non-steam game option to steam then add this command -vrmode none -force-opengl for the game to even launch once the game is at the start screen and I try to adjust the resolution to 1920x1080 I get a black screen with a blue cursor and music playing and I have to force close the game everything on my pc is up to date even drivers
    If you've got Subnautica installed, please refer to the following:
    Here's a list of things that can be useful for a bug report:

1. Your Subnautica\YYYY-MM-DD_HHMMSS folder(s), if it/they exist
    2. Your Subnautica\Subnautica_Data\output_log.txt file
    3. Your dxdiag (search it from the start menu or use the run box) output saved to dxdiag.txt or similar ("Save All Information" by the exit button on the lower right)

You can upload those to something like Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc and post a sharing link. Or you can paste them into PasteBin and post a sharing link.

If the error might be with your specific save, you can include your saved game slot: it's the Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames\slot00xx folder

You can compress the saved game (and/or the error reports if you want) using 7-zip, WinRAR, WinZip, or Windows, just remember, efficiency-wise, it's 7z > rar > zip

Upload the archive somewhere (see above list) and post a sharing link to it.

If you can't get Subnautica to install, that's an Epic Games Launcher problem I believe (try installing another free game from them like Unreal Tournament to be sure)
  • mercmorpheus03mercmorpheus03 Lakewood, CA Join Date: 2018-12-16 Member: 245912Members
    Having the same problem. Had to start the game with "-vrmode none". Could we get a prompt upon executing "Subnautica.exe" choosing whether we want normal or VR mode? I'd rather not have to do workarounds posted here such as disabling a VR service that we have to re-enable if we want to use it again in the future, then having to disable it again just to play Subnautica.

Output log and DXDIAG in following pastebin (can't post the link because I'm too new so here's the shortened version):
    pastebin /uMHXaMZF
  • MalforMalfor Join Date: 2018-12-16 Member: 245894Members
    I managed to fix my issue by totally wiping out my AMD drivers an redownloading them no idea why it worked but I'm playing just fine now
  • pastapantspastapants Join Date: 2018-12-16 Member: 245921Members
    I am having a similar issue, I downloaded the game today and it immediately crashes on launch. I have tried reinstalling a few times, and did a clean install of my graphics drivers. Here is the error and output_log text: (I'd post a pastebin link but I haven't had an account long enough to post links)

error:

Unity Player [version: Unity 5.6.2p4UnknownWorlds_0]

Subnautica.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
    in module Subnautica.exe at 0033:3cc12ff7.

Error occurred at 2018-12-16_003148.
    D:\Program Files\Subnautica\Subnautica.exe, run by joeyb.
    38% memory in use.
    16192 MB physical memory [9982 MB free].
    18880 MB paging file [10120 MB free].
    134217728 MB user address space [134213180 MB free].
    Read from location 0000000e caused an access violation.

output_log:

========== OUTPUTING STACK TRACE ==================

ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 00007FF63CC12FF7)
    0x00007FF63CC12FF7 (Subnautica)
    ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 00007FF63CB7E2D4)
    0x00007FF63CB7E2D4 (Subnautica)
    ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 00007FF63CB7E43A)
    0x00007FF63CB7E43A (Subnautica)
    ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 00007FF63C4F199B)
    0x00007FF63C4F199B (Subnautica)
    ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 00007FF63C4F78FB)
    0x00007FF63C4F78FB (Subnautica)
    ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 00007FF63C53C77E)
    0x00007FF63C53C77E (Subnautica)
    ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 00007FF63C54BA86)
    0x00007FF63C54BA86 (Subnautica)
    ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 00007FF63C4C089C)
    0x00007FF63C4C089C (Subnautica)
    ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 00007FF63C4C2E4C)
    0x00007FF63C4C2E4C (Subnautica)
    ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 00007FF63CA2D8BB)
    0x00007FF63CA2D8BB (Subnautica)
    ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 00007FF63CA2B55E)
    0x00007FF63CA2B55E (Subnautica)
    ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 00007FF63C26E8FA)
    0x00007FF63C26E8FA (Subnautica)
    ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 00007FF63CC136FC)
    0x00007FF63CC136FC (Subnautica)
    0x00007FF859FC3034 (KERNEL32) BaseThreadInitThunk
    0x00007FF85ACA3691 (ntdll) RtlUserThreadStart

========== END OF STACKTRACE ===========

**** Crash! ****

Anyone know a fix?
  • Torvar72Torvar72 Join Date: 2018-12-16 Member: 245982Members
    I emailed Epic about this and got zero help told me to come here.
  • RodrigoG44RodrigoG44 Brazil Join Date: 2018-12-14 Member: 245739Members
    Guys, if your video card is from AMD and your driver version is 18.5.1, just update your graphic card drivers, s2
    RodrigoG44 wrote: »
    Guys, if your video card is from AMD and your driver version is 18.5.1, just update your graphic card drivers, s2

I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070. I've reinstalled all my drivers, reinstalled the game, and I've just blown out my computer with compressed air and made sure all the connections were tight. Anyone had any luck fixing the crashes?
    @pastapants Just do what @mercmorpheus03 did with pastebin (take out the .com and put a space instead:
    Output log and DXDIAG in following pastebin (can't post the link because I'm too new so here's the shortened version):
    pastebin /uMHXaMZF

@pastapants Just do what @mercmorpheus03 did with pastebin (take out the .com and put a space instead:
    pastebin /uMHXaMZF

output log:

pastebin /jAn4zkPt

DxDiag:

pastebin /fEi5htdR
  • ChxnchyChxnchy Join Date: 2018-12-16 Member: 246030Members
    I downloaded the game through Epic and My problem is that there is no sound at all, ever. When i press new game the cut scene is black and doesnt ever end unless i hold esc to skip it once it is skipped the game loads but when i press esc to pull up the main menu, i cant exit or click on any of the options like settings, exit, save game, etc. Keep in mind no sound through this entire process. Not sure what to do. contacted epic and useless as usual. I cant post links for dxdiag or output log becasue I havent been around long enough.
    output_log:
    https://drive.google /open?id=1OLXdhoeEykbWiKNQ63UFFUTEfLqBwP_Q
    DxDiag:
    https://drive.google /open?id=1Pq-JLLAtBLepRNuKFMbuuv2lAUVy6VnG
    (removed .com and added a space to link)
  • BlindGuardianBlindGuardian Canada Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217604Members
    How do I update my drivers? I am not pc literate, all i know is epic games launcher just will not open
    @Chxnchy - update your audio drivers (& maybe video drivers if you're using the HDMI audio on your video card)

@pastapants - yours seems to crash instantly unless some of the log is left out. Maybe re-download / reinstall?

@BlindGuardian - if Epic Games won't load at all, that's an Epic Games problem. Or are you talking about Subnautica not launching once you have Epic Games open?

If it's the Epic Launcher itself, try uninstalling / reinstalling that and contact Epic Games if that doesn't help.
  • leicon01leicon01 Australia Join Date: 2018-12-19 Member: 246316Members
    I had a problem where the Epic standalone launcher refused to process the order (it got stuck on the screen saying Loading Your Order...). When I went to the Epic games website I decided to try loading it through the store via the web browser link, which worked for whatever reason. It's downloading now, so I haven't been able to test it further, but looking forward to trying the game out.
    I did what you recommended and still does the same things as i described @0x6A7232
    sound works for every other game i have
  • CriticallyMassiveCriticallyMassive USA Join Date: 2018-12-20 Member: 246431Members
    Hey. MacBook Pro user here. (I know, heresy, but it's what I can afford.) Got the game through Epic last week. Today, it updated. My computer needed to be shut off as I was going away and didn't want it to kill my battery so I forced a quit and shut it down, but apparently this was a grievous error.

Speaking of grievous errors, all the little graphics on the sides of the menus (blue selection markers and the like) all show a rainbow of static instead of images, now that I'm back. When booting up, the background image of the Aurora crash is gone, and I shouldn't say "booting up", because it never does. I wait and wait for it to load in "entity cells," and it keeps goin forever. Any ideas?
  • ThatCatGamer66ThatCatGamer66 Join Date: 2018-12-20 Member: 246439Members
    The game opens in the task bar, I get sound, but no actual game? A lil bit of help would be appreciated, just message me.
  • ThatCatGamer66ThatCatGamer66 Join Date: 2018-12-20 Member: 246439Members
    I downloaded it on epic games btw
  • Berto026Berto026 Mexico Join Date: 2018-12-20 Member: 246437Members
    Hey. MacBook Pro user here. (I know, heresy, but it's what I can afford.) Got the game through Epic last week. Today, it updated. My computer needed to be shut off as I was going away and didn't want it to kill my battery so I forced a quit and shut it down, but apparently this was a grievous error.

Speaking of grievous errors, all the little graphics on the sides of the menus (blue selection markers and the like) all show a rainbow of static instead of images, now that I'm back. When booting up, the background image of the Aurora crash is gone, and I shouldn't say "booting up", because it never does. I wait and wait for it to load in "entity cells," and it keeps goin forever. Any ideas?

i have similar issue in the 2.0 udapte but just in the main menu looks black and some "glitch effect" like white noise

then when i click play all with noice screen no image

and then stuck at 90% then crash. anyone knows what happen?

Berto026 wrote: »

i have similar issue in the 2.0 udapte but just in the main menu looks black and some "glitch effect" like white noise

then when i click play all with noice screen no image

and then stuck at 90% then crash. anyone knows what happen?

Back up any saved games, uninstall / reinstall (can try verifying game files before doing this and see if that fixes it).

@Chxnchy - FMOD can't seem to start properly on your system. Do you play any of the games in this list? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMOD#Games_using_FMOD
  • yolomon9994yolomon9994 Join Date: 2018-12-22 Member: 246667Members
    I'm also having a problem with epic games launcher. Subnautica has been downloaded successfully but when I try to launch it, it says that I need to verify it even though I've done it a thousand times. Someone help. But I can play it if go into game files and launch application. But I'm afraid that it won't get any future updates.
  • sydboyzsydboyz Join Date: 2018-12-23 Member: 246773Members
    I downloaded the free subnautica game from epic games launcher for my windows 10 pc. The game started fine but after 3-5 mins, the screen switches to black screen.
    I can still hear game sounds.

Tried all the fixes that was mentioned across all forums but none of them works.

Below is the list of things I tried:
    1. Start at windowed mode
    2. Uninstall and reinstall the games
    3. -Vrmode none
    4. Force dx9 parameter
    5. Change resolution to lower
    6. Turn off beta mode
    7. Audio change to 44100 hz
    8. Reinstall nvidia video driver

When I checked on the error log, it said
    "d3d11.dll caused an Access Violation "

Can someone please help?

My graphic card is Nvidia GTX 580.
  • SSK123SSK123 Join Date: 2018-12-24 Member: 246951Members
    Exactly! I am having the exact same problem as @Williamdelang. My screen is completely black except for the cursor There is still music playing though. Here's some info:

Subnautica: Received free from Epic Games

I tried to uninstall and reinstall, yet to no avail.