Suggestion: Creature Naming

WomboWombo Spokane, Washington Join Date: 2015-03-11 Member: 201965Members
Why are all creatures already given names? aren't you on a unexplored world? Instead the player should have the option to name creatures and maybe even plants when they encounter them. Next time you bump into the same creature it would have the name that you recorded.

Comments

• MalkContentMalkContent Join Date: 2012-10-05 Member: 161597Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd go with "so when you talk with other people, you both know you talk about the same fish". But I like your idea.
  • VandragoraxVandragorax United Kingdom Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201533Members, Subnautica Playtester
    There are some things you have to accept because it makes the game more fun. This is called "suspending disbelief" and you do it without realising when watching movies and tv, or reading books too :) Best not to over-think certain 'realism' aspects sometimes, or the game will become very tedious lol
  • NecroxNecrox Join Date: 2015-02-18 Member: 201418Members
    I think it's a great idea, and there's no reason it couldn't coexist with the current names.
    An example is Final Fantasy games: When you meet a new character, you get the option to name them. I might call Squall from FF8 "GrumpyMcPoopPants", but when I do so it has already suggested "Squall", so I know what to call him if discussing him in the community/guides.
  • DeepoDeepo lisbon portugal Join Date: 2014-12-20 Member: 200150Members
    would be awesome if we could give names to the creatures. and it would help immersion
  • Gr4pheneGr4phene Germany Join Date: 2015-03-05 Member: 201731Members
    They already have pretty descriptive names, so it is immediately clear for most fish why each fish has its specific name. For some creatures, like the Reefbacks for example, you can't really see the name in game, so you have to come up with your own name or leave them unnamed if you don't know the intended name. The problem with this is that many players don't know what a Reefback is even though they have seen many of them, just because they don't know the name.
  • DavycannonhoundDavycannonhound Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201527Members
    I've seen your NS2 post, I really think you're over-thinking this game. Just saying.
  • MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
    problem is, it will make players very hard to communicate. Think about it, if someone asks how to make water, we can now answer "find airsack". But how will you answer him practically enough if fishes have no given names? It will be oddly unpractical if there is no given name.

Also, even though there are only 5 player-lifeforms on NS2, it would've been already super hard to communicate if they had no name at all.
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    Say there is a multiplayer update, and one person calls a sand shark a Sharknd, and another person calls a sand shark Sandark, if you say Sharknd to that person, they probably won't know what your talking about, this is the same for reality, you could be talking with a friend and say Sharknd, but they won't know what it is because it's likely they named it something else,then every one would be confused, and where would that take you?
  • dasCKDdasCKD Join Date: 2017-11-14 Member: 233978Members
    I mean we can just have a default name which is the 'true' name of the creature, but that is something that the Ai of the scanner fills in automatically. When you scan a new animal, the player can name the animal whatever they like and if they just tell the scanner to automatically name it, it can use the naming 'procedure' to give us the name of the creature that can be used to communicate between players.
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    Um, ok, hadn't thought of that, good thinking.
  • MarrixMarrix Join Date: 2018-12-27 Member: 247285Members
    I really like this idea about naming the creatures yourself! I had also wondered why the creatures had names.
    Good point Marrix, if this is an unexplored planet, than why do the fauna all have names?