7.35 GB?

Obsidian_ThirteenObsidian_Thirteen Columbia, MO Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228284Members
So, obviously I've been looking forward to the full release on the Xbox One like most other people, and...I've run into a really weird problem.

I fired it up today and instead of telling me I have an update, it takes me to the main screen and freezes. The game tile in my library still says Game Preview. So I did a full uninstall and went to the store, where it shows it as a full game, not a preview, and downloaded it. However, not only did it give me the exact same problem, it seems to be only 7.35 GB in the store and when I download it.

I definitely remember the game being over 11 GB the last time I downloaded it several months ago, so obviously a big chunk of the game is missing.

Am I missing something here? Is there something else I'm supposed to do? The launch *is* December 4th, 2018, (i.e. today) right?

Comments

• Obsidian_ThirteenObsidian_Thirteen Columbia, MO Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228284Members
    Okay, kind of an update.

This time, I deleted not just the game but my save data as well from the Xbox One menu, and reinstalled it again. (Still 7.35 GB.) It loaded up, but this time it was forced to sync data from online, given that I'd deleted my saves. This time, I was at least able to load one of my games, which I did, and it popped a few achievements while loading, and now I can play, but I'm guessing I still don't have access to the full release?

What's going on?
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    You uh... you realize an update doesn't re-download the whole game right? It likely only downloaded the main part of the patch.
  • Obsidian_ThirteenObsidian_Thirteen Columbia, MO Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228284Members
    I'm not sure what you mean?

I know what's suppose to happen: I fire up the game, it tells me that there's an update, I download the update, then the new version of the game loads.

That never happened, so I took the universal advice of uninstalling and reinstalling.

Also, I'm saying that the literal size of the game shrank. It actually says, in the Microsoft Store, 7.35 GB under Approximate Size. As in, the entire game.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2018
    There is no "special preview version" with limited content, if you have updates enabled you get the latest version (which is also the full version now that it is released) with all options enabled. The file size is probably a compression setting. Steam is for example ~13.2Gb according to Steam and Windows, but according to the Steam store is requires at least "20Gb available space". Probably some extra space for savegames
    I guess let me try to explain.

The version that I have been playing, that we all have been playing on the Xbox One the entire time, is specifically entitled Game Preview, signifying that it is not a full release. I do not think that this version has "limited content" in the sense that it is a demo or something. I'm aware of how it works.

I'm also saying that my version of the game, up until today, was over 11 GB on the actual hard drive. Now, however, the version available through the Microsoft Store is just 7.35GB.

But here is the biggest point I am trying to make: *The launch update of SubNautica for Xbox One was never made available to me. How do I find it?*

On the main screen, it still says Update 84 Released, with a 2018-03-15 timestamp. So clearly this is not the most recent version.
  • OhioinfantryOhioinfantry United States Join Date: 2017-10-07 Member: 233437Members
    My game won't update at all and when I try to play the game it asks me if I even own it lol. It won't let me play at all hahahaha.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2018
    Alright fair enough, my bad. I've found these two on the Xbox store (different links, but same query-string). I guess both should show you an install button, if you own it/linked it to your Xbox account:

- Subnautica Game Preview
    - Subnautica
    Not a problem, and thanks, I definitely appreciate the effort. Although weirdly, both links lead to the same page for me, which is just the official SubNautica page on the MS store.
    edited December 2018
    Yeah the only difference s the URL, where one has "preview" in it so it is using the game's unique identifier (BX3S1Q5DVHRD). Hehe just tested it, you can change the "subnautica" in the URLt to anything you want "where-the-hell-is-my-game-dammit" lands you on the Subnautica store page as well...

TBH that is a rather weird and anti-CEO URL management Microsoft has going... You could also jump onto Subnautica Discord and ask peeps there (or devs)
    Weird. I might have to break down and finally sign up for Discord to do so (I never got into it at all), but I'm hoping it gets pushed through soon, honestly. I was really looking forward to playing the finished, complete version of the game.
  • AzurescenAzurescen United States Join Date: 2018-12-04 Member: 245143Members
    @Obsidian_Thirteen Go into "My Games & Apps" find Subnautica, press the start button while highlighting Subnautica. Go to "Manage game & add-ons" and check "Version" in top right. For me it says "Version: 1.0.0.28". About the file size decreasing, I dont know. My File size is 7.3 GB as well after today's release update. I played for a short while this morning and noticed higher resolution textures, fade in of objects as opposed to pop in, and much smoother framerate among other Xbox one X enhancements. Took about 120 seconds to load in, so be aware of that.
    Weird, my version does indeed say Version: 1.0.0.28, and now the Game Preview is missing from the tile.

However, on the main screen it still says Update 84 Released. Plus, in the save file I loaded, I noticed that I couldn't dock my Seamoth in my Moon Pool no matter how hard I tried. It just stopped abruptly when it got to the surface of the water in the Moon Pool, as though I'd hit a solid object, although I took no damage.

I guess now that I have the option to, I'll start a new game. Although I've been hearing now that there's a huge bug making vast amounts of resources not show up?
  • OhioinfantryOhioinfantry United States Join Date: 2017-10-07 Member: 233437Members
    edited December 2018
    I just had to buy the damn game....$30. I already paid the other $15 amounts during development. Oh well, at least I finally have it..... again lol.
    Hmm, I have been thinking about getting a physical copy. Maybe I'll just do that. Despite the misgivings over the past few years, this is a good game and a really solid company that I want to support.
    Yeah man I agree. I just purchased it again digitally. I hate discs anymore lol. I'm trying to not play it again until I get my Xbox One X, but I can't do that lol.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    On the main screen, it still says Update 84 Released, with a 2018-03-15 timestamp. So clearly this is not the most recent version.

This should have auto-updated with a 6.8GB patch. Upgrading is all on Microsoft's end I'm afraid. You may need to contact Microsoft support.
    My game won't update at all and when I try to play the game it asks me if I even own it lol. It won't let me play at all hahahaha.

Please contact Microsoft support who should be able to fix your licensing issue.

I knew I wasn't crazy! Thanks for the response. I actually bought a physical copy of the game to see if this works but also because I want to support the project, so if that doesn't work I'll go looking for Microsoft's help.
  • odst21711odst21711 Join Date: 2018-12-04 Member: 245139Members
    Obraxis wrote: »

This should have auto-updated with a 6.8GB patch. Upgrading is all on Microsoft's end I'm afraid. You may need to contact Microsoft support.

Please contact Microsoft support who should be able to fix your licensing issue.

I'm sorry, I'm still a bit confused. Is the game intended to be 7.35 GB with the release update?
    I think what he was saying is that the base game they are offering digitally is 7.35 GB. Upon purchase, it will then recieve a 'day one patch' essentially, of an additional 6.8 GB, bringing it up to the 1.0 Full Release version.

For me, I am *not* receiving that that day one patch. Even still right now.

I purchased a physical copy that will arrive tomorrow and I'm hoping that the full 14.15 GB version was burned to the disc. (I'm really hoping that's the case, because I don't want to have to deal with Microsoft.)
  • odst21711odst21711 Join Date: 2018-12-04 Member: 245139Members
    edited December 2018
    Hmm. I had the game preview and on Dec 4th it got that 6.8 GB update. So, it used to be 11.some odd GB and became 7.3 after the update.
    Whoa, WTF? That's really weird.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    They must have updated to use more compressed files. Much of Subnautica's slowdowns came from hard disk read speed. Compressed files would improve this, at the cost of additional processing to decompress the files.
    That actually was my initial thought. Well, something like it. I had been hoping that the game's size had been reduced and made more efficient somehow.

Although I STILL haven't gotten my damned update, lol