Subnautica Newbie Tips v2 - now with categories!

2»

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    The categories are neat! It's a really nice read like this.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    I wish someone would of told me to not be so afraid of the Aurora after you get a seamoth, it's worth the trip if you can avoid the reaper.

Going to the rear of the Aurora is completely safe from Leviathans, as long as you stay at the surface and close to the hull of the crashed ship.

The smaller predators may attack, but if you keep moving they aren't usually a problem.

Of course you do need the Radiation Suit until fixing the leaking power dirve.

B)

I have encountered Reaper Leviathans far more frequently at the rear of the Aurora.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    • A default strategy to deal with warpers pulling you out of your vehicle is to swim up (space bar) immediately. Warpers cannot follow well vertically and it's easier to find your vehicle by looking down than around you.
    • You can have the coffee vending machine make two cups (each +4) simultaneously by pressing on the right and on the left. This is easy to miss as there are no buttons displayed. Coffee automatically goes to your inventory upon completion if you stay in its general vicinity, ie roughly within earshot, and disappear otherwise. So if you want to get a boost out of it, build a CVM in the middle of a work area where you can get some stuff done while waiting and ordering.
    • Ditto for the vending machine, except that food's easier to manage than drinks and each snack is +3 food and -2 water. So it's less interesting.
    • Efficiently harvesting teeth depends more on a multitude of stalkers than a multitude of scrap metal, because multiple stalkers means they'll keep stealing from each other. Scrap metal distracts from attacking the player so you can kickstart and follow their theft chain with barely any chance of getting bitten.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    garath wrote: »
    I wish someone would of told me to not be so afraid of the Aurora after you get a seamoth, it's worth the trip if you can avoid the reaper.

Going to the rear of the Aurora is completely safe from Leviathans, as long as you stay at the surface and close to the hull of the crashed ship.

The smaller predators may attack, but if you keep moving they aren't usually a problem.

B)

I have encountered Reaper Leviathans far more frequently at the rear of the Aurora.

There's a Reaper that spawns and consistently stays in that area
  • jeodjeod Stuck in Aperture Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229591Members
    Here's a tip I have. I don't know if anyone's said this yet. But about wreckage sites, there's something I didn't find out till very recently. I was exploring all the sites to find a Moonpool bay, but I couldn't find half the fragments the wiki said would be there. Something was off. And eventually I found out. To access some parts of many a wreckage , you'll need a laser cutter to cut down different compartments. I felt so stupid when I found out. So there's my tip, Bring a laser cutter with you, you'll never know when you need it.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    jeod wrote: »
    Here's a tip I have. I don't know if anyone's said this yet. But about wreckage sites, there's something I didn't find out till very recently. I was exploring all the sites to find a Moonpool bay, but I couldn't find half the fragments the wiki said would be there. Something was off. And eventually I found out. To access some parts of many a wreckage , you'll need a laser cutter to cut down different compartments. I felt so stupid when I found out. So there's my tip, Bring a laser cutter with you, you'll never know when you need it.

It's mentioned in the Wreck Diving section. Have a look, maybe I could state it clearer, or would this be good enough?
    Laser Cutters only open weakened or damaged doors (not locked doors or regular doors - you can tell on mouseover). Repair Tools repair control mechanisms for other doors. Still others can simply be opened by hand.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    edited July 2017
    I'll post some experience within simple spoilers, @0x6A7232 to include them if you like:
    • Moving fast without ever stopping seems to reduce the ability of creatures to get a good target on you. This allows you to swim or drive through creature swarms without fear.
    • Swimming through Warpers is done best by circling and strafing permanently and never swimming straight lines. Best with being above them. If you ever get warped, then you should immediately swim forward strafing in circles to avoid the Warper catching you, as most time you don't see him and shouldn't stand still to turn around. The Warper is momentarily more deadly than the Sea Dragon! - especially in the dark.
    • Prawns and Warpers is the most ugly thing. The Prawn isn't made to circle and strafe around Warpers and usually you have limited jet time and can't wait while Warpers are around. Listening to Warper teleports is important and should be met with immediate changes in course. It's best in dark territory to first explore with a Seamoth or by diving to locate the Warper spawn points, before travelling there with the Prawn.
    • Swimming through leviathans is possible with the reinforced diving suit at this time of writing as the leviathans death grip fails in this case if the devs don't cancel that. As leviathans need time to turn for a second attack and you get 2 chances, you can even heal yourself with kits and thus completely bypass a leviathans territory. Otherwise a Seaglide is one of the fast tools to bypass a leviathan if you have no vehicle.
    • To swim through predators you should either use the Seaglide or Ultraglide fins and hold nothing in your hands to slow you down.
    • With the reinforced diving suit you can ignore even shark bites and risk to get hit from a lot of creatures up to leviathan size if you don't panic and simply ignore your misfortune.

I'll post some other stuff later.

EDIT:
    Although a Sea Dragon can't kill you if you are careful, the Sea Dragon bite is still an instant death. But as leviathans usually attack only once and then it takes time for them to turn for a second attack there is the option to lure the Sea Dragon into reaching you with the claws. I'm not completely sure, but it seems the Dragon doesn't bite after using the claws, so this would be a way to swim right through Sea Dragon territory.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Strafing and for Warpers depth changes are the best ways to avoid getting bit. I have killed Stalkers in the past without getting bit by strafing while knifing them.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    garath wrote: »

B)

No no, you want to avoid Reapers near the Aurora?

Come in from the side closest to the lifepod, then head towards the bow and hug the hull. I recommend a seamoth, but you can do this with a seaglide if you feel brave. You'll come to some broken points in the hull, and you can duck through the gaps between the hull breakage. The Reapers don't get up NEXT to this part of the Aurora in my experience.
  • jeodjeod Stuck in Aperture Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229591Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    It's mentioned in the Wreck Diving section. Have a look, maybe I could state it clearer, or would this be good enough?
    Laser Cutters only open weakened or damaged doors (not locked doors or regular doors - you can tell on mouseover). Repair Tools repair control mechanisms for other doors. Still others can simply be opened by hand.

Maybe you could just change it to this:
    Laser Cutters only open weakened or damaged doors (not locked doors or regular doors - you can tell on mouseover). Repair Tools repair control mechanisms for other doors. Still others can simply be opened by hand. These doors can be found on the Aurora and in wrecks. Don't throw your cutter away after exploring the Aurora, they will be useful after exploring further for needed fragments
    Anyways, it's just a suggestion :smiley:
    jeod wrote: »
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

Maybe you could just change it to this:
    Laser Cutters only open weakened or damaged doors (not locked doors or regular doors - you can tell on mouseover). Repair Tools repair control mechanisms for other doors. Still others can simply be opened by hand. These doors can be found on the Aurora and in wrecks. Don't throw your cutter away after exploring the Aurora, they will be useful after exploring further for needed fragments
    Anyways, it's just a suggestion :smiley:

Done.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Even with a reinforced diving suit the Sea Dragon has an immediate death bite. But that doesn't count for his claw attacks. So it's better to get hit by his claws as the Sea Dragon will need another attack run afterwards.

So better never flee from a Sea Dragon, as this leads to a death bite from behind in almost all cases. Swimming directly to him and then into his claws has a very high chance of success not getting eaten. So don't panic or you're dead. If you swim and hear his roar, force yourself to turn around and face him.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Holding objects while swimming slows you down.

UWE is at it again with their hidden stuff :D

BUT!!!!! What about the knife, surely CS rules apply universally :trollface:
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
  • Quiet_BlowfishQuiet_Blowfish Join Date: 2017-09-11 Member: 232955Members
    A couple things I'd like to add

Vehicles:
    - For the Seamoth the Perimeter Defense System Module its very useful when travelling amongst bitey creatures. You can even escape a Reaper's grip this way. After the depth compensators, it may well be the most valuable module. I never leave home without one!

Critters:
    - Don't despair if you've built your base above a nest of Crashfish. Sure, they blast holes in your walls, but afterwards you can pay them back by chopping down their Sulphur Plant homes. You need a hardened dive-knife for this, but it stops them from re-spawning.
    - If you're plucked from the ocean floor by a Reaper whilst plodding about in your PRAWN suit - try punching it the face (repeatedly) and you'll probably survive OK.

Necrothreading this to point out that I made a shortened URL to make it easier to share: https://is.gd/Subnautica_newbie_tips
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Bumping to assist the large flux of newbie players due to 1.0 PS4 and Xbox One being released.

Nice tips by the way, really helps.

ANYONE NEW: Go to the top of page 1 for the full list!
  • Reaper_Peeper101Reaper_Peeper101 wont tell Join Date: 2019-04-13 Member: 252304Members
    Hey everybody, my name's Reaper_Peeper101 and I have been playing Subnautica for a long time and I know how to get you started in the game! I also know the where-bouts of the Reaper Leviathans so you don't lose your Seamoth! I can also help you locate much needed fragments, reach out to me if you have any questions!