No Man's Sky 'stealing' from Subnautica?

2»

Comments

• BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    edited November 2018
    Indie developers with early access development and incremental payments by expansion. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I really like this model. It allows indie developers to take big creative risks the mega games publishing houses usually steer clear of. This way every game doesn't have be the same-old-same-old. Right?
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    BlueBottle wrote: »
    Indie developers with early access development and incremental payments by expansion. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I really like this model. It allows indie developers to take big creative risks the mega games publishing houses usually steer clear of. This way every game doesn't have be the same-old-same-old. Right?

I think there's more to it. One of the reasons NMS "flopped" was lack of a proper early access.

They did sell millions of copies and made a fortune from it, but if they were looking for something besides money (which looks like it, by the time spent in improving the game post-launch) then they took a huge blow right from the start. Nobody will ever look at anything Sean Murray related with the same eyes again.
    Maybe with some open testing things would be different. Probably less copies sold, but a much more faithful and resilient community.

SN lies on the opposite edge of this spectre. With a very transparent development process and open channels between devs/community leading to loads of engagement/discussions about the game design.

• archmage94archmage94 Join Date: 2018-06-07 Member: 241200Members
    Foxy wrote: »
    archmage94 wrote: »

Can you:
    a) stop being foul-mouthed in every post you make and;
    b) edit erroneous posts instead of making new ones.

Thanks.

I'm sorry, I just get so worked up, not only by overhate like with NMS but also when people jump to the conclusion that one piece of media is stealing or ripping off another one when that is not always the case

I'm not denying there are similarities but come on. What was the date of the update that introduced the base building into Subnautica?
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members

Can you:

Thanks.

I'm sorry, I just get so worked up, not only by overhate like with NMS but also when people jump to the conclusion that one piece of media is stealing or ripping off another one when that is not always the case

I'm not denying there are similarities but come on. What was the date of the update that introduced the base building into Subnautica?

Earlier than No Mans Sky. That update was back in 2015.

NMS building mechanics have looked eerily similar to Subnautica ever since release. The style of said base parts as well. The inclusion of a large underwater section, including the crashed ship screenshot and the general feel and look of the water only solidify the idea that NMS is either stealing or taking heavy inspiration from Subnautica.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

Can you:

Thanks.

Earlier than No Mans Sky. That update was back in 2015.

NMS building mechanics have looked eerily similar to Subnautica ever since release. The style of said base parts as well. The inclusion of a large underwater section, including the crashed ship screenshot and the general feel and look of the water only solidify the idea that NMS is either stealing or taking heavy inspiration from Subnautica.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! (maybe the NMS guys really like Subnautica... although, they could be up-front about it if that was the case) Again, though, maybe both were inspired by something else. Really don't know.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2018
    Well to be fair, there are only a few styles for underwater structures. Tubes, cylinders and glass pipes are a must... Welcome to underwater zoo's? Although that one shot is a bit too similar with the ship in the back and the character standing on his... Escape pod? :trollface: Even if that thing in the background is the usual crashed freighter. Of which multiple ones seem to crash on planets, on almost every planet... A standard event/encounter where you can find buried doodads.

I mean what the hell, these freighter pilots really suck!

Also, the planets have a rather shallow (deep enough though) maximum depth you can dig out (or walk through in caves). Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm assuming the underwater areas are just as shallow?
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Well to be fair, there are only a few styles for underwater structures. Tubes, cylinders and glass pipes are a must... Welcome to underwater zoo's? Although that one shot is a bit too similar with the ship in the back and the character standing on his... Escape pod? :trollface: Even if that thing in the background is the usual crashed freighter. Of which multiple ones seem to crash on planets, on almost every planet... A standard event/encounter where you can find buried doodads.

I mean what the hell, these freighter pilots really suck!

Also, the planets have a rather shallow (deep enough though) maximum depth you can dig out (or walk through in caves). Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm assuming the underwater areas are just as shallow?

Actually what the player is standing on in the NMS shot is one of the aquatic Exocraft that was added by the aquatic update
    edited November 2018
    Well to be fair, there are only a few styles for underwater structures. Tubes, cylinders and glass pipes are a must...

Actually there's many other design options often suggested in this forum's construction threads:

- Oversized grow-domes mushrooming over bases
    - 45 degree elbow connecting corridors
    - Vehicle docking tubes
    - Elevators
    - Forcefield bulkheads
    - Airlocks
    - Grown, rather than built structures

I think Subnautica has a great construction aesthetic. But when I see other games sprouting standard sized 8 sided multipurpose rooms containing a central circular aquarium, I gotta say "Is this the universal standard we're settling for now?"

It's far too early in this new game-genre to concede to cloned content. Where's the imagination?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2018
    Maybe their imagination is still back in pre-release. Poking the archmage bear here :trollface:

Nah but you're right, the multipurpose room is indeed eerily similar. I do believe them Rust-likes have way more creativity in their construction process with walls and stuff which you can use to shape your own structures. That is more versatile, but in terms of water worlds also harder to figure out what is water and wat is inside the base (engine-wise), I guess...
    BlueBottle wrote: »
    Rust any good?

It's... Strange... Also I've never played it, I only know it from random YouTube channels, it's got some funny and angry/rage like people on there. Another game that seems to have a pretty neat building system is 7 Days to Die, a bit Minecraft-esque but with more detail, also don't own that game... I'm not realy into those open world multiplayer games where the rage fueled people live :D
    Oh ok, multiplayer. Me neither.
    Maybe their imagination is still back in pre-release. Poking the archmage bear here :trollface:

*Pokes back* Troll fail, XD

edited December 2018

All a bit quiet now. Anything else we can argue about?

I mean how about that ipad gaming? Surely it's the future don't you think?
    Yes... And with that I mean: Start running bub!
    Multiplayer is a nonsense?
  • odst21711odst21711 Join Date: 2018-12-04 Member: 245139Members
    Honestly it looks so terrible in comparison that it doesn't even matter. I also find the text in the upper left hand corner hilariously cringe-worthy, and the gameplay is pretty lame.
  • TyderfTyderf Join Date: 2015-12-31 Member: 210696Members
    Creativity is copying someone Else's idea and adding your own touches.
  • johndoe31415johndoe31415 Germany Join Date: 2019-01-05 Member: 248105Members
    Just recently picked up NMS and was hoping it would be a similar experience to Subnautica. Not even close, man, not even in the slightest close. But the "inspiration" is very much there, the underwater components are essentially 1:1 clones of Subnautica and the multi-purpose room as well. Hope it flatters the devs :-)
  • RelystRelyst Join Date: 2019-01-07 Member: 248272Members
    Looks pretty blatant to me
  • KellvenKellven Join Date: 2019-01-10 Member: 248453Members
    Haven't actually seen what NMS has now, just think the title has it backward.
    Let them make their version as best they can, and encourage anyone else who wants to do so.
    Free open market competition is a very good thing, it drives products to better quality.
    Blizard, Maxis, Bethesda, Squenix, etc all managed to acquire products with no real direct external competition, and the quality of those products invariably goes directly to Sturgeon's law.
    Free competition is brutal, terrifying, almost always cheap inferior crap; but in the end, it's captive markets that destroy game series, not copycats.
  • Canadian_KeystoneCanadian_Keystone Canada Join Date: 2019-01-13 Member: 248645Members
    edited January 2019
    Honestly this would piss me off if I could enjoy Subnautica. But the PS4 version has a crippling save glitch, which reverts hours of progress. (and the rendering is a big issue too. I still dont know if I was supposed to know about the islands first or not. Cause they don't render until you're on top of them).

Anyways, I'll be playing NMS. To feed by Subnautica desire. And then probably Osiris New Dawn. And hopefully in a few months, UnknownWorlds will have sorted out the Subnautica PS4 issues and make it playable. I really do think they created the perfect game. If it would save progress properly.