Game won't start: sndio has a new version, causes the old problem

mockmock Germany Join Date: 2014-03-28 Member: 195015Members, NS2 Playtester
For any other Arch user not being able to start this game once again with the usual
ns2_linux: error while loading shared libraries: libsndio.so.6.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
the reason is sndio was updated to version 7, game still depends on version 6.1.

So the only chance is to revert. And since it coming from the AUR, it won't be in the pacman cache anymore. Simplest way is to download it from Debian and copy it into /usr/lib.

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2018
    Easy enough to modify the PKGBUILD slightly with the old 1.2.0 zip from the sndio site. Did this myself a couple of weeks ago to get it working then blacklisted it from updating. Don't have it on hand at the moment because I'm using Windows to play the game since the Linux version crashes too often.

Next time I get a chance I'll post it.

EDIT: Is there some legal reason the required version isn't just static linked and bundled with the game?
  • mockmock Germany Join Date: 2014-03-28 Member: 195015Members, NS2 Playtester
    Is there some legal reason the required version isn't just static linked and bundled with the game?

My guess is that since the officially supported Linux was Ubuntu 14.04, which includes the proper version, they just don't bother.
    NS2 always was a game, that you can play on Linux, but its support is fuzzy at best.
    Btw: couldn't you just collect all our NS2 workarounds for Arch and upload them to AUR, for example as NaturalSelection2-workarounds? :D
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2018
    mock wrote: »
    Btw: couldn't you just collect all our NS2 workarounds for Arch and upload them to AUR, for example as NaturalSelection2-workarounds? :D

There's other workarounds? I can't remember but I feel like I just installed sndio-1.2.0 and the rest worked out of the box.

Here is what is essentially an AUR package that I haven't uploaded to the AUR. I might do that, but I still don't have my Arch system running so don't have my keys, I did this on a VPS.

https://mega.nz/#!eNMmELRL!5eoO9pg1Zfwf-KwKJuRWcfh1tDSLw5wsBMtysme8W64

Just tar xvf it, then do makepkg -sri from within the directory. If anyone else wants to upload it to the AUR instead go ahead.

EDIT: Blacklisting not required with this one since it's named differently than the existing package.
  • hacked_13hacked_13 Join Date: 2009-01-05 Member: 65988Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    For other people on linux, you can do the following:

The library file you need is from here: http://www.sndio.org/install.html
    wget http://www.sndio.org/sndio-1.2.0.tar.gz
    tar -xvf sndio-1.2.0.tar.gz
    cd sndio-1.2.0
    ./configure && make && sudo make install

libsndio.so.6.1 is now installed into your system under "/usr/local/lib/"

Now reboot or:

Link the library to the same folder as your NS2 Install
    ln -sf /usr/local/lib/libsndio.so.6.1 ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Natural\ Selection\ 2/x64/

• PooshkaPooshka Join Date: 2018-05-27 Member: 240960Members
    Thank you A LOT hacked_13 !
    This is still an issue under Ubuntu 18.10, btw.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    The game is still listed on steam as supported on linux... which is not exactly true ever since the PDT took over.
  • astuvanthemanastuvantheman Join Date: 2019-10-23 Member: 255147Members
    edited October 2019
    BE CAREFUL!
    hacked_13 wrote: »
    For other people on linux, you can do the following:

The library file you need is from here: {cant post links yet}
    {cant post links yet}
    tar -xvf sndio-1.2.0.tar.gz
    cd sndio-1.2.0
    ./configure && make && sudo make install

libsndio.so.6.1 is now installed into your system under "/usr/local/lib/"

Now reboot or:

Link the library to the same folder as your NS2 Install
    ln -sf /usr/local/lib/libsndio.so.6.1 ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Natural\ Selection\ 2/x64/

BE CAREFUL!
    I think this might crashed my Ubuntu 18.04 pc. After following the commands except the ln-command (I rebooted instead), my system got "terminal messages" each time I boot ubuntu. I am now trying to figure out how to remove this program again. The errors may be caused by normal ubuntu updates that I performed, but I do not think so. I have also got system error from the OS just after the install.

--EDIT--
    PC worked fine again after removing the program. I dont think the program is ment to do harm, but I think this is the reason to my system having issues.