Adding custom sound to a map...

XaleXale Paris / France Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24767Members
Sorry this is probably "another" topic BUT

- I can't make an fsb file with the last version of FMOD
- I can't do anything with FMOD Designer (2016) aswell

I there a simple way to add a MP3 or a Wave in my map maybe that has been updated since then ?

I'm using the ambient_sound entity, is this correct ?

Do you have a tutorial somewwhere maybe ?

Last topic before releasing the map I guess... fed up with this...

Comments

• NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    Custom sounds are a pain to make. You can't simply include an MP3 or wav file as far as I'm aware, and instead you need to use a specific version of FMOD to create a whole new project to include it.

I have also recently been getting a lot of issues with the consistency checker and custom sound mods, so if you're making a custom map I would recommend staying away from custom sounds.
  • XaleXale Paris / France Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24767Members
    rah too bad :/

It just about adding a new ambiance sound, not replacing anything :/
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2018
    The link to FMOD is here. There is not much documentation around, but once you get the hang of it, it's not too difficult. There is just a lot of things you have to get right or it won't work right.
    There's a sample project for hitsounds that you can use as a base. That is in Natural Selection 2/assets/soundsrc

https://www.dropbox.com/s/et9lnze2q4g76du/fmoddesigner44463win-installer.exe?dl=0
    Luckily for you, you only want to add, not modify existing, so it is easier.

@Xale, if you'd like faster assistance, try asking in the #modding channel in the NS2 Discord.
    (You can also PM me there if you'd like as well)

To get started, you can create a project in FMOD, and start adding your sounds to it. From there you need to add events for the sounds, and put the sounds inside the "sfx" category (you will need to make this category)
    ahhh didn't see your message thanks :)

sbzil12p9fcv.png
    redhqvidlu1b.png
    ae8xfcgvndfq.png

I didn't manage to get the *.fev inside Spark thus...

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Make sure you check the checkmark on the bank00 there. Also make sure that the music is inside the "music" category in the categories tab. If that still does not work then I can take a peek at the project file and see what is wrong.
    Ok right I didn't check the box

I still don't understand where to place the *.fev file. Even in source/soundsrc Spark doesn't see him :

18v83lrlly95.png

Another question : my mp3 file does now weight 50Mb in the fmod format wich is gigantic. How to compress my sound ?
    fdp files go in /source/soundsrc. fev, fsb, and .soundinfo files go in output/sound
    There is not much you can do in regards to compressing the sounds. @sweets may be able to give you some tips.
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    I can't get help from sweets anymore. He won't respond to my repeated mentions on discord for help.

As for compressing sounds, try altering the "compression" and "compression quality" for your sound bank. FMOD can't convert all sounds for whatever reason for me, but if my sources are already MP3, I can select MP3 and it will save them compressed. KBSKYQo.png
    edited November 2018
    Ok guys ! Success !!

I had quite a few errors when building (asking me for lame DLL for building) but I didn't need it since I already build in fmod.

And yeah @Nintendows totally got the hit obviously, got it compress to 5 Mb instead of 50Mb... that's huge !

Edit : can we embeed Youtube video in this forum or not ? :|