Update 325 - Anniversary - Natural Selection 2

2»

Comments

• NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    Frozen wrote: »
    Nintendows wrote: »
    Frozen wrote: »
    Please hotfix the damage directional indicators.. they're insanely distracting

You are not the first to report this "issue". However that change is part of a mod that some servers use (see https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1116917228) . So not much we can do.

Well, you can talk to me. Literally the first time I heard any noise about it was yesterday and it's been there for 6+ months.

So it's a normal example of someone breaking your mod. Whether its been there for 6 months or 2 days, it's awful now for whatever reason starting 1 day ago at build 325. Please fix it, get rid of it, or make it an option.

Thanks for adding me on steam. Should be fixed now.
  • xtalxtal aka X-rayCat Join Date: 2009-06-28 Member: 67961Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    Today as commander I've melted onos with two marines giving them meds+cata support. I agree that hmg gave marines better firepower, but what is worse it gave them better map blocking!!!
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    @rantology the main problem with the current hmgs is that aliens have no strategic options.
    As @xtal said, with a little bit of support they are at par with exos, but exos are slow moving and cannot he beaconed.
    If hmgs were the latest tech that marines can have would help, but you also removed the extra research time.
    This buff was a terrible change, please consider the arguments made and fix it asap.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    MGs seem fine. Just reduce GL player damage or how easy it is to hit players.

Also fix the bilebomb visual. It's another terrible feature added without an option in the menu. It obscures vision of the marines to the point you can't see them peripherally unless they're parasited. Dumb.
    GL damage is fine, only its hitbox seems a tadbit large. Its almost impossible to kill fades and oni with it unless they are already hurt, so it fits the quasi support role.

With the new HMGs, marines get massive firepower cheap AND early.
    The former is fine, but the latter needs reconsidering.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @matso is the hero we need, but don't deserve

NS2 was impossible to play without at least 120hz display due to input lag

You can name my first born if you want
    You can name my first born if you want

That's a prudent idea, considering your nickname! x)
  • skav2skav2 Join Date: 2007-05-28 Member: 61037Members, Reinforced - Gold
    So far Im digging most everything these recent updates have brought us. Good work!

Was the fades natural energy regen and metabolize energy regen nerfed? I swear I am constantly running out of energy wayyyy more than previously before the last 1 or 2 major updates.

I am not sure if someone brought it to anyones attention but I noticed there has been a server side issue recently that is making whole servers lag and stutter uncontrollably. It does not seem to be localized with single servers but most of the servers that I play on like DMD, IBIS, TA and so on.

• bonagebonage Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162230Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Still waiting for any kind of buff for fades - the latest hmg buffs make it even more punishing for them. The issue started when the bhop momentum 'bug' (b298 change) was removed, limiting vertical momentum. Since then, Fades sit on 40-50% energy going into an engagement, assuming that they are traveling at speed from another room or hive. It's difficult enough as a vet - can't imagine what it's like for rookie fades.

Also - adren is not the answer - it's actually quite useless in it's current state. I used to fade with adren pre 298 and was able to play a different movement style - that was when cele was still picked 90% of time. Now I have to pick cele to get any kind of momentum going and carry that momentum into an engagement.

Proper movement is core to aliens being able to deal with mid-late game marines tech / passive upgrades effectively. Please consider reverting the 298 change or at the very least increase fade's max energy pool or increase energy recovered via metab or rest or buff adren.

bonage wrote: »
    Also - adren is not the answer - it's actually quite useless in it's current state.

I've never understood why the old NS1 faster recuperate was replaced with increased pool as the adrenaline upgrade...
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    .trixX. wrote: »
    Also - adren is not the answer - it's actually quite useless in it's current state.

I've never understood why the old NS1 faster recuperate was replaced with increased pool as the adrenaline upgrade...

You know ns1 fade was insanely fast and the main powerhouse.. in case you forgot, last gathers of last weekend:
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/331662318?t=00h10m56s
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Honestly, crush vampirism fade has a different style late game I'm trying to get used to, but it's fucking strong in pubs. No idea about lower player count.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Still waiting for any kind of buff for fades - the latest hmg buffs make it even more punishing for them. The issue started when the bhop momentum 'bug' (b298 change) was removed, limiting vertical momentum. Since then, Fades sit on 40-50% energy going into an engagement, assuming that they are traveling at speed from another room or hive. It's difficult enough as a vet - can't imagine what it's like for rookie fades.

Also - adren is not the answer - it's actually quite useless in it's current state. I used to fade with adren pre 298 and was able to play a different movement style - that was when cele was still picked 90% of time. Now I have to pick cele to get any kind of momentum going and carry that momentum into an engagement.

Proper movement is core to aliens being able to deal with mid-late game marines tech / passive upgrades effectively. Please consider reverting the 298 change or at the very least increase fade's max energy pool or increase energy recovered via metab or rest or buff adren.

Welcome to my church my son.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members

I disagree especially since MGs were nerfed recently I believe. Even before the vertical momentum fix, aggressive fades were always prone to low energy even while spamming metab due to how fast they want to get across the map and engage marines. The downwards vertical momentum boost was mainly a crutch for engaging from high heights in large rooms like hub on tram. I abused it a lot while hardly receiving damage, which was fun, but being on the receiving end certainly wasn't unless I got a meatshot with a shotty. You can absolutely still blink up in large rooms like this in order to throw off aim although downward picks aren't quite as fast or safe. Good riddance imo.

I think fade movement is in a good place right now by placing more importance on map intel. Now you rely more on teammates calling out marines or skulks parasiting (more preferable ofc). In terms of energy, yes, you have to conserve more before engaging if you're already low. But this takes like a few seconds with metab--not a big deal. Adrenaline is certainly useless compared to celerity, but it's on the CDT roadmap. I actually always preferred celerity over any past iteration of adrenaline since increased movement speed is a trump card for securing kills, especially against crackshot marines.
    edited November 2018
    Nominous wrote: »
    I disagree especially since MGs were nerfed recently I believe.

*buffed :P
    They got cheaper (Pres+Tres), lighter and have a tadbit higher DPS
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    I disagree especially since MGs were nerfed recently I believe.

*buffed :P
    They got cheaper (Pres+Tres), lighter and have a tadbit higher DPS

There was another update yesterday. MG damage was nerfed.
    oh. well then, AWESOME!
    oh. well then, AWESOME!

Lerk sounds changed too!
  • bonagebonage Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162230Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I disagree especially since MGs were nerfed recently I believe. Even before the vertical momentum fix, aggressive fades were always prone to low energy even while spamming metab due to how fast they want to get across the map and engage marines.

Subjectively, I have to say this wasn't a problem for many previously. Better fades would use their bhop with vertical momentum to efficiently get around quickly and have more energy than they would in the current build, meaning more energy to use during an engagement.

The downwards vertical momentum boost was mainly a crutch for engaging from high heights in large rooms like hub on tram. I abused it a lot while hardly receiving damage, which was fun, but being on the receiving end certainly wasn't unless I got a meatshot with a shotty. You can absolutely still blink up in large rooms like this in order to throw off aim although downward picks aren't quite as fast or safe. Good riddance imo.

Have to disagree with you here. Using vertical space for attacking as a fade shouldn't be discouraged just because some players may struggle with moving their mice vertically as opposed to horizontally. The movement style was always risky for fade players due to high energy expenditure, but that's why adrenaline with it actually used to work and fades could still gain a decent level of speed from the momentum boost. The vertical movement was also still easily countered with the SG so it wasn't nor should it be considered OP. The tradeoffs in place were significant enough.

I think fade movement is in a good place right now by placing more importance on map intel. Now you rely more on teammates calling out marines or skulks parasiting (more preferable ofc). In terms of energy, yes, you have to conserve more before engaging if you're already low. But this takes like a few seconds with metab--not a big deal.

Map intel isn't going to help you when you're getting back to an engagement zone from a hive room or across the map and arriving on 40-50% energy. Sure you can stop and use metab, but in those 5-10 seconds you might be regaining your energy marines might have gained critical positioning in a room, or they may have picked off a team mate, increasing the difficulty of the engagement. Then there's the current iteration of jps - quite challenging for any decent fade let alone rookie fades to get more than 3 swipes on an a2/a3 jp without running low on or out of energy and having to leave the room.

The current build forces fades to play in a more reactive way which is very limiting - there's less opportunity to explore one's own style of movement/engagement. I can only speak for myself and other local players, but movement wise it's just not as interesting to play now as it was before, and it feels a lot more risky to fade when I could easily just go skulk with leap and have similar movement with the added bonus of doing regular dmg to structures and saving for onos.
  • colonoscopy_odysseycolonoscopy_odyssey Melbourne Join Date: 2014-04-25 Member: 195607Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2018
    going to go with mr. bone-aaaj on this one, i spent quite a few months working to get myself to the level of a mediocre fade, even playing the occasional round as a decent fade, mastering movement skills and energy management, but now i'm an absolute embarrassment once again

fades feel sluggish, heavy, bloated, and frankly, quite impotent given how quickly energy runs out

and let's not mention how quickly HMGs rip through you now, it's ludicrous
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    going to go with mr. bone-aaaj on this one, i spent quite a few months working to get myself to the level of a mediocre fade, even playing the occasional round as a decent fade, mastering movement skills and energy management, but now i'm an absolute embarrassment once again

fades feel sluggish, heavy, bloated, and frankly, quite impotent given how quickly energy runs out

tl;dr from what I've gathered is that fades are fine when you're at the comfortable & above average stage, but the process of getting there by practicing/playing is a hard curve, like everything else in this game tbh.

The one suggestion I've heard about Fade changes which didn't sound too bizarre, was reducing the energy cost of blink/continuous blink but increased the energy cost of swiping. Don't know exact number changes but it didn't seem too drastic in terms of balance etc.

HMGs were re-nerfed back to the old damage in a "hotfix".
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Nintendows wrote: »

HMGs were re-nerfed back to the old damage in a "hotfix".

This is exactly what is annoying to me.

Even with that hotfix most people "didn't get the memo". Why? Because they got away as soon as another annoying (or nerf let's be real) modification was added. For some people it was years ago. For other it's now.

The damage was done and the hotfix didn't changed people opinion on the last patch.

I wish it was more fun to play this game as Kharras.
    I wish Silence wasn't removed (official reason : because some people cheated with sound)
    I wish... i Wish...
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I wish Silence wasn't removed (official reason : because some people cheated with sound)
    I wish... i Wish...
    That was not the official reason.

my bad it's a slip.
    read "Unofficial."