A New Leviathan for Subnautica?

PhantomRider187PhantomRider187 Join Date: 2017-08-28 Member: 232692Members
For a little while, I have had an idea for a new leviathan for Subnautica. It is called "Bone Stalker Leviathan". It is currently an actual project that I have been working on for a little while now. I'm not an artist but I created a little bit of art of what it could look like. Right now, it is just artwork on a piece of paper. There isn't any computer 3D art of it because I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I do not want to share any specific details about the bone stalker leviathan because I want to share that information directly with one of the Subnautica developers. I will share a little bit about what it is. I would like the Subnautica developers to consider my idea for this creature to be possibly implemented into the game or a future DLC for Subnautica.

I would like to post my artwork on the forum but I haven't figured out how to post a picture yet. I am still kind of new to the Subnautica forums. Can I get some help and maybe some feedback on how I can get in contact with a Subnautica developer?

Comments

• Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    Steps for uploading image:

1. upload image to computer
    2. view the following website as to how to add image to google's image index: https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/175288?hl=en
    3. press the image icon in the post options above the text-box in forums (looks like a mountain with a little sun icon to the left)
    4. paste the URL to the website page on which you have your image

As for getting a developer's attention specifically... you can't. The devs view these discussions just as you or I might and there's no way to keep regular users from seeing it. But if your idea is popular enough, you're sure to get someone's attention.
  • PhantomRider187PhantomRider187 Join Date: 2017-08-28 Member: 232692Members
    Thank you very much for that info, Isummon_Durt! I appreciate your help. If I need to put at least most of the information about my idea for a new leviathan on the forums, I think I could get over that. I didn't expect to keep this 100% only for the eyes of the Subnautica developers.
  • subnautica1434subnautica1434 nowhere Join Date: 2018-02-24 Member: 238197Members
    I would love to talk and/or visit a developer for subnautica.
    I would love to know how long it will be until subnautica releases on ps4
  • M_aVM_aV Join Date: 2018-02-22 Member: 238077Members
    edited February 2018
    "I do not want to share any specific details about the bone stalker leviathan because I want to share that information directly with one of the Subnautica developers."

(i dont know how to quote sentences shh)

Dude nobody will steal your idea and if someone does then you posting first renders them stealing it useless. Drop 'ideas' in the ideas forums so that people can critique your idea and provide input not "i have an idea but i wont tell"

Sorry if it came across rude, but this is a collective community that all want the game to evolve and have additions and ideas like these added :)
    edited February 2018
    I apologize for the delay for posting the picture of my artwork of the bone stalker leviathan. I am still experiencing difficulty in posting it on the forum. :/ However, I will start by posting what the information would look like for it.
  • M_aVM_aV Join Date: 2018-02-22 Member: 238077Members
    I apologize for the delay for posting the picture of my artwork of the bone stalker leviathan. I am still experiencing difficulty in posting it on the forum. :/ However, I will start by posting what the information would look like for it.

just upload it to imgur and put the link in your message
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    Hey @PhantomRider187,

Seems you can more easily post a 2D image of your work in a SN General Discussion thread. Unlike this forum, when you click on the Image icon it allows you to browse your own hard-disc for the image, then add it. Your pic should display in your post's preview then.
    Hope that helps.
  • thehaveilathonthehaveilathon Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238475Members
    I saw a creature design on Google if you want to see it search for "sub nautical silence" it would be a cool leviathan
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    I imagine for the Arctic, there'd be certain areas which the player has to cross but which can only be passed safely be going over the ice layers since the waters are infested with terrifying predators. However, as the player skids across the surface of the ice with their ion drive ski-blade craft, (like a snowmobile but with an ion drive lifting it a centimeter off the ground at the back and ice skate like things at the front which can swivel up, down, left, and right,) they may not see the 'big black something lurking just beneath the ice' which will leap out at them if they get too close. Maybe like the thing from europa report crossed with one of those really flat sharks which have all that camouflage.
    I imagine something like how I imagine the Nautilus from 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea punching its way out from under the ice in the thing's place. Just out of the blue, (literally,) SKABLOOSH!!! A giant black thing with a pointed snout leaps a cyclops-hight distance out of the water and then lands with a crashing flop on the rim around their newly-made pool, grabs onto a passing rockpuncher with its floppy catfish-like mouth as we can hear the puncher's shell cracking disgustingly, and then slowly sliding back into its pool as the ice under it cracks and gives way beneath its slimy leach-like body. A successful hunt.
    I imagine for the Arctic, there'd be certain areas which the player has to cross but which can only be passed safely be going over the ice layers since the waters are infested with terrifying predators. However, as the player skids across the surface of the ice with their ion drive ski-blade craft, (like a snowmobile but with an ion drive lifting it a centimeter off the ground at the back and ice skate like things at the front which can swivel up, down, left, and right,) they may not see the 'big black something lurking just beneath the ice' which will leap out at them if they get too close. Maybe like the thing from europa report crossed with one of those really flat sharks which have all that camouflage.

For physical description, it'd be a lot like a cross between a Catfish, a Wobble-gong, a Goblin Shark, and a leach.
    It'd have a downwards-facing catfish like mouth, maybe no eyes; (it'd stick little catfish-like motion-sensing organs/tendrils into the ice to sense approaching prey), and would be flat and leach-like; also pretty fat. Its jaw would look reminiscent of that weird Alaskan shark with the downwards-facing porpoise jaw which would pick lichen off of rocks; except that this creature's teeth are flatter and meant for crushing rockpunchers' thick exoskeleton. On its sides, its ribcage actually only exists on its back; where its spine is reinforced incredibly to withstand the shock of-say- punching through the ice with its goblin shark-like snout protrusion. On its belly, it's all fat. A terrifying characteristic, its ribs can be seen through its sides.

Mobility-wise, it would expend a lot of energy to try and move long distances and against other leviathans, it'd be completely defenseless; and so, it burrows into the ice and simply awaits prey to walk by. It would probably also have a hibernation-like state, but we wouldn't see that in-game.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited March 2018
    Is this the bone stalker leviathan you speak of
    http://imgur.com/QodwIJu
    edited March 2018
    No but that's really funny, though. :D
    "Bone Stalker Leviathan"

The bone stalker is a massive leviathan-class fauna species. Its only known habitat is in the Crag Fields and beyond the volcanic crater; the Dead Zone. It is a little bigger than the sea emperor leviathan (120m in length) and bears a resemblance to the skull of the gargantuan fossil that is located in the Lost River.

This lifeform is identified as a 'leviathan hunter' because it hunts other leviathan species and other large creatures as its primary food source. It once migrated alongside large schools of its own kind to forage for food and to lay eggs which may mean that the bone stalker leviathans have either originated elsewhere on the planet or are a species on the verge of extinction.

The bone stalker leviathan hunts by smell and by sensing the slight changes in the water temperature around it. When closing in on its prey, it uses the darkness below the prey to its advantage and comes to attack the prey from below. The bone stalker leviathan locks its massive jaws around the prey's neck and strangles it to death. The skin of the bone stalker leviathan is very dense and its intended use is to prevent internal damage to their vital organs from larger predators. The fin at the end of their tails provide them with the ability to swim at great speeds.

When a bone stalker begins its egg-laying stage of its lifecycle, a second bone stalker forages for food while the other stays behind. This repeats over and over again until the eggs have been laid which could be months to a full year. A single bone stalker leviathan may only be able to lay up to three eggs in its entire lifespan. Until the young are nurtured and fully matured, they are vulnerable to other predators.

Assessment: Approach with caution - - - Further Data Required
    Assigned Biome(s): Crag Fields & beneath the floating island?
  • Catsfan45Catsfan45 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235894Members
    Just message the devs about your idea I guess. Send them a PRIVATE message and ask questions about what you would like to do with your idea and see how you go. :)
    "Bone Stalker Leviathan"

The bone stalker is a massive leviathan-class fauna species. Its only known habitat is in the Crag Fields and beyond the volcanic crater; the Dead Zone. It is a little bigger than the sea emperor leviathan (120m in length) and bears a resemblance to the skull of the gargantuan fossil that is located in the Lost River.

This lifeform is identified as a 'leviathan hunter' because it hunts other leviathan species and other large creatures as its primary food source. It once migrated alongside large schools of its own kind to forage for food and to lay eggs which may mean that the bone stalker leviathans have either originated elsewhere on the planet or are a species on the verge of extinction.

The bone stalker leviathan hunts by smell and by sensing the slight changes in the water temperature around it. When closing in on its prey, it uses the darkness below the prey to its advantage and comes to attack the prey from below. The bone stalker leviathan locks its massive jaws around the prey's neck and strangles it to death. The skin of the bone stalker leviathan is very dense and its intended use is to prevent internal damage to their vital organs from larger predators. The fin at the end of their tails provide them with the ability to swim at great speeds.

When a bone stalker begins its egg-laying stage of its lifecycle, a second bone stalker forages for food while the other stays behind. This repeats over and over again until the eggs have been laid which could be months to a full year. A single bone stalker leviathan may only be able to lay up to three eggs in its entire lifespan. Until the young are nurtured and fully matured, they are vulnerable to other predators.

Assessment: Approach with caution - - - Further Data Required
    Assigned Biome(s): Crag Fields & beneath the floating island?

If you're trying to skin the gargantuan fossil, (I now call it Snaggletooth because of something scifiwriterguy said,) then you might want to go to my discussion on 'Lost River Skeleton - Science, Observations, and things which make no sense' and read all posts by Myself, scifiwriterguy, and Maalteromm. Even if you aren't trying to skin the gargantuan, the discussion explains how, scientifically, a creature of that size, shape, bone structure, and musculature might work. You can skip by scifiwriterguy's spoiler boxes, but I suggest that you read most of what is there.
    edited March 2018
    I'm not attempting to skin the Lost River leviathan. However, I am envisioning the bone stalker leviathan as a creature that bears some kind of vague resemblance to it's skull. The horns, the long front teeth and the six eyes that it had. I mean, the bone stalker will not look almost anything like the Lost River leviathan but it would be a much smaller leviathan than the gargantuan skeleton but it would still look like a few of the other local lifeforms on the volcanic crater that are currently in the game.

I did read your discussion thread on the Lost River skeleton and, surprising, a little bit of that information kind of matches of what I'm thinking of for the bone stalker leviathan. I'm not saying that in a bad way as if I want to take your idea. That is not my intention at all.

Both the gargantuan skeleton and the bone stalker are dependent on a large food source such as other leviathans and both of them are restricted from living too deep in the vast ocean. The bone stalker leviathan that I came up with has to stay close to the surface because its body isn't meant to go any deeper than 600m to 700m under the surface of the ocean. I think everyone can agree that some leviathans in the world of Subnautica haven't evolved enough to go deeper and to live where the pressure is so much higher than at the surface of the ocean.

I hope this explanation was understandable to you and everyone else who might be reading this discussion.
    edited March 2018
    Isummon_Durt, I am not trying to be disrespectful in any way but do you not like my idea? I want to hear your opinion on the bone stalker leviathan.
  • Antar1Antar1 Prague Join Date: 2018-03-23 Member: 239413Members
    Would love to see more leviathans or other new fish more than anything else in a dlc.
    Isummon_Durt, I am not trying to be disrespectful in any way but do you not like my idea? I want to hear your opinion on the bone stalker leviathan.

This would be easier to decide if you could provide a more detailed description of your conceptual model. For instance, I imagine that this creature would have transparent-blue, highly-plastic flesh divided into segments by rib cages. It wouldn't have a true spine, but it would have a spinal cord following a single ventricle which continues throughout its entire body; which would have many bladders and visible digestive tracts wrapped around it in some places, (mainly its system of stomachs). this creature would make up for its small brain cavity by having a system of decentralized nervous systems linked to reflexive brains which are denoted in bulbous modules at different sections of the creatures body. There would be a rather large distance between this inner cord and the outer flesh; almost mimicking the ghost leviathan save for the fact that the creature has something akin to bone structure. However, this structure is only maintained by a system of musculature which continues along its entire length. How it moves without a backbone? Essentially, it has a system like a conveyer-belt in which a single segment of bone would be contracted into the creature, and then pushed towards its front until it met one of its other rib cage segments, and then would expand outwards and be pushed back to its previous position and hand it off to the next rib cage and so on. Boom! We just created a class of creature unclassified by modern science. (Its skull, however, would be very lightweight and wouldn't have any covering layer of flesh. It'd just have its six eyes).
    I agree with your description of how it would be able to swim. I mean, it would still have very obvious features on it that the stalkers and bone sharks would have. I apologize for leaving this discussion for so long. I've been extremely busy with other important things in life and I want to return to this thread. I'm doing my best to figure why I am having issues with posting pictures on the forum. When I figure it out, I will post two pictures of two different concept arts of the bone stalker leviathan because the first was the original but I just recently finished a new concert art for it. Thank you for posting that very helpful post of how it would logically could swim in the ocean.
    Oh my gosh! I finally was able to figure out how to post a photo of the bone stalker leviathan. This is the original artwork that I did for the leviathan but I am working on a new and, hopefully, a better piece of artwork for the bone stalker. I know this isn't a very good picture of it because of the lighting. Please tell me what y'all think of it.
  • ShrekislifeShrekislife Shrek's Grand Swamp Join Date: 2018-07-31 Member: 242594Members
    Looks good. What is the tail meant to be
    edited October 2018
    I think my original idea behind this was to add a tail fin that looked unusual and didn't seem to match any of the local lifeforms that dwelled on the volcano because it supposed to be a migratory leviathan species that did not originate from the main game's playable area.

Like I said before, I am working on a second piece of artwork for the bone stalker leviathan and, hopefully, it will look more like something that belongs in Subnautica.The original artwork does have a few flaws.
  • Noah1955Noah1955 Wisconsin Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219780Members
    Its a great idea! But too bad Subnautica is actually done with the game, there will not be anymore additions to the game.
    Yeah. Right now, the only way I can see it being able to be implemented into Subnautica Below Zero is if it were put in a biome that wouldn't be restricted for a really big predator like the bone stalker to maneuver in. It needs to be in a biome not too far from the surface of the ocean and not too deep.

I'm having a hard time in coming up with making it different so that it belongs in an arctic environment. A lot of things have to change. I will update as soon as I can. Wish me luck!
    mialaarirme8.jpg

The artwork for the new (arctic) version of the Bone Stalker Leviathan!
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    That's just a little to colorful.