ns2_unearthed

Comments

• Vman007Vman007 New York Join Date: 2014-01-22 Member: 193411Members
    Love how well unearthed has turned out. The new purple lights are aesthetically pleasing. And exposure especially looks great. I think the balance has worked out really well too.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Incoming small patch

Changelog:

- Added a vent between exposure and the filtration staircase
    - Added a power node to exposure so you can actually build stuff in there now (you're welcome :P )
    - Tweaked the minimap
    - Altered the toxic pool to exposure vent to make it more obvious that you cannot enter as a marine from the exposure side
    - Removed the cartoony crystals and replaced with the more gritty, dark looking props
    - Detailed the filtration vent

Updated minimap -

Untitled.jpg
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    another small patch just went out.

Changes -

- added a new light to the exposure - filtration vent to make the whole vent more visible to marines passing by
    - added barrels in front of the mining tunnel unusable door to make it clearer you can't use said door.
    - lighting tweaks throughout the whole map, performance should be better mapwide now (Thanks to @Zavaro for showing me the errors of my ways and putting me on the path to greatness! :P )
    - a few minor detail alterations to Furnace

• G_LockG_Lock Playtester_ FL Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184624Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    The deep purple running throughout the map is overwhelming to the eyes and doesn't look right at all, its all you notice when its around you, the original orange lava looked much better. I would definitely suggest re-examining your priorities when it comes to the aural lighting and atmosphere. The maps layout is nice and halls and rooms are well designed/decorated, its a shame this one shade of purple mass is enveloping most of everything.
    @G_Lock you are one of a total of two people that I've heard negative feedback regarding the visual overhaul of the map, I've heard literally hundreds of people praise it and say it looks and feels much better, so I hope you don't take it badly when the changes you want to see don't happen.

I will add however, that the current lighting is conceptual, not final, it will not be the same shade of purple throughout the whole map with no variation when i'm done, and the toxic water texture should also be updated and made 1. more visually appealing and 2. more obviously dangerous.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I actually agree with that. I found the "purple mass" too much in some areas, but figured it's not on a refined level yet.
    Like that spot in furnace, where I told you already to tone down the purple near the water.
    I think it's good to keep that in mind for further polishing tho. It's a very strong color and while I like the purple theme, it should come in the right dosage.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I don't know exactly how it looks currently, but to add to pSyk's post, you should also keep values in mind. I remember you have purple crystals outside the playable area, they just shouldn't be too contrasty.
    pSyk0mAn wrote: »
    I actually agree with that. I found the "purple mass" too much in some areas, but figured it's not on a refined level yet.
    Like that spot in furnace, where I told you already to tone down the purple near the water.
    I think it's good to keep that in mind for further polishing tho. It's a very strong color and while I like the purple theme, it should come in the right dosage.

The areas that I'm going to be redoing the purple lighting in are Crevice and Toxic Pool. I'll be balancing the purple light more at the north of Cavity too, but the shade and overall look shouldn't be too much different from what it is now.

I'm all for suggestions on how to improve the lighting etc, but I'll not be "reverting" to the Lava theme, Too many people prefer this version (myself included) and I believe that visually the map feels much more unique now than ever, its just a case of refining it now.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It might be worth trying darker shades of purple for the lighting and/or for the crystal textures. It definitely looks good, but they're almost too eye-catching.
    N.B.: I can't find any screenshots of the crystals from the current build, so I'm going off of my memory.
    Another small update for today

Changelog -

- Lighting tweaks and changes map wide
    - Texture and prop tweaks and changes map wide
    - Added multiple WIP cinematics to Toxic Pool
    - Detailed ready room (rumour has it that there are secret things now)
  • prevertmaximusprevertmaximus Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11630Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hi Kasharic,

Have played the map about 10 times an have to say very nice work on the level. Lights look really good. Some might say the colors are to colorful , but I think that the map has an interesting flavor to it. Had a very good round on the DMD server the other night , went back and forth for a while. Could have been anybody's game but in the end the aliens won it.
    Well just my 2 cents. Keep up the nice work .

Max

edited October 2018
    Hi Kasharic,

Have played the map about 10 times an have to say very nice work on the level. Lights look really good. Some might say the colors are to colorful , but I think that the map has an interesting flavor to it. Had a very good round on the DMD server the other night , went back and forth for a while. Could have been anybody's game but in the end the aliens won it.
    Well just my 2 cents. Keep up the nice work .

Max

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you guys are enjoying the map! <3
    Quick sneaky update to address an OP arc spot in Passage (top right of the map)... this is a quick fix "bandaid" while I rebuild this area completely for the next big build.
  • RustyRusty Canada Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185850Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver
    Unearthed is a great map! Lots of fun to play and I hear a lot of positive notes about it. Sometimes custom maps can empty a server but unearthed isn't one of them. I really enjoy this map and love how it plays over long games. I'll continue to offer unearthed on the DMD servers and thank you @Kasharic for the continued updates. I know how long it takes to do any mapping in NS2 and can appreciate the time involved so thank you again sir!
  • KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Is it normal that the tree and gems in exposure are invisible from specs/coms ?

It is yes, having them visible makes them visible on the map, which makes people think its a playable area and not a death trap.
  • XaleXale Paris / France Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24767Members
    It's one of the best custom map here.

Thus maybe Purification RT should be more close to Crevice.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Kasharic wrote: »

It is yes, having them visible makes them visible on the map, which makes people think its a playable area and not a death trap.

Technically you could always just edit them out of the map image files. I think paint.net can open them.
    Yeah, that is my plan for the final release, but doing that for every change is just a pain in the ass.
  • prevertmaximusprevertmaximus Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11630Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hi Kasharic,

Played on the map again last night ,
    When suggesting the map most players did not what to play it .
    I think like most custom or new map levels they don't know it so why play it. Lets play Veil .
    But after the first round in the ready room they all seemed to really like it.
    A couple of player wanted to change the map, but mostly all the other players wanted another round on Unearthed.
    After the second round most were saying it might be the best map in NS2, even the losing team.
    Seems like on that map if both teams are good players they will have a long game with a lot of back and forth action till there is a winner.
    So once again Very nice work keep it up.

Max
    Hi Kasharic,

Played on the map again last night ,
    When suggesting the map most players did not what to play it .
    I think like most custom or new map levels they don't know it so why play it. Lets play Veil .
    But after the first round in the ready room they all seemed to really like it.
    A couple of player wanted to change the map, but mostly all the other players wanted another round on Unearthed.
    After the second round most were saying it might be the best map in NS2, even the losing team.
    Seems like on that map if both teams are good players they will have a long game with a lot of back and forth action till there is a winner.
    So once again Very nice work keep it up.

Max

Its things like this that keeps me working my ass of to get my builds up asap, I'm so happy you guys are enjoying the map!

The next update is a beauty, rebuilding Overlook, Passage, Reactor and Routing.

Hopefully once these are completed the feedback will be as good as it has been for the past 6 months.

Keep the feedback coming guys, whether good or bad, its all listened to and it all matters!
    Its that time again folks, SNEAK PEEK PICS!

Overlook -
    20181106152318_1.jpg?width=999&height=678
    20181106152215_1.jpg?width=999&height=678
    Passage -
    20181106152743_1.jpg?width=999&height=678
    20181106152143_1.jpg?width=999&height=678
    Uber Vent (connects passage to both reactor and overlook, with 2 exits leading into passage itself) -
    20181106152224_1.jpg?width=999&height=678
    20181106152232_1.jpg?width=999&height=678
    20181106152247_1.jpg?width=999&height=678
    20181106152301_1.jpg?width=999&height=678

Enjoy, and hopefully soon you'll be able to test this out!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Will this version of the map feature secret trickjumps?
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    There are already some trick jumps.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited November 2018
    Vetinari wrote: »

afaik, yes they will.
    Vetinari wrote: »

There will be a readyroom secret-room dedicated to trick jumps... Ironically, there is a mini-trickjump route to get to the secret room ;)
    edited November 2018
    Changelog:

- Reactor rebuilt from scratch, Renamed to Harvesting (Thanks to Mephilles for helping out with this.)
    - Routing rebuilt from scratch, Renamed to Orientation (Thanks go to Rantology for giving this room purpose!)
    - Passage rebuilt from scratch.
    - Overlook rebuilt from scratch, Renamed to Access.
    - Minor tweaks to detailing map wide.
    - More accurate occlusion in certain areas of the map.
    - Added an overlooking room (inaccessible) to the Exposure exterior.
    - Fixed some commander invisible issues mapwide.
    - Rumours of another secret room maybe?
    - Winter is here!

Updated Minimap -
    1.jpg?width=863&height=679