Crashes

BeerandbulletsBeerandbullets Join Date: 2007-11-07 Member: 62853Members
I'm sure there is a thread already about this, but I just wanted to reiterate this subject.

The amount of crashes I've had since the latest patch is incredibly high.

Hopefully a hotfix can be deployed soon as I'm sure others in the community have also been facing this issue.

Thanks for your hard work NS2 Team.

Comments

• colonoscopy_odysseycolonoscopy_odyssey Melbourne Join Date: 2014-04-25 Member: 195607Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited October 2018
    Yeah, it's quite an annoying bug. Sometimes the game starts, and only after 1 minute of no RT drop do people realize that the com crashed...
    (The program sent automatic error reports for me, so Im guessing the devs are aware)
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    Yes it's known and being looked at. It's been happening for months, but the frequency has really increased with the latest patch.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Is this different than the "crash" that's fixed by opening task manager? I havent been in a comm chair in a very long time but maybe it's the same.
  • ChitownFreezeChitownFreeze Join Date: 2008-03-29 Member: 63994Members, Constellation
    The comm chair software has encountered a problem and needs to restart. Would you like to check for a solution and restart the program?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    You mean the other thread from last week, just commented on today?
    https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/155066/latest-update-often-causes-game-to-crash-when-jumping-into-chair

The devs have said they are working on it. They hired FSFOD to come fix it. Hopefully it is done soon because it is kind of ridiculous.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    There are multiple different crashes that are plaguing the game at the moment, the devs have asked that people use the beta branch (steam > library > Right click ns2 > properties > betas tab > drop down menu, select beta branch > apply )

Beta branch, as far as i'm aware (something may have changed in the past few days that i'm not aware of), sends full crash reports to the devs to help give more info on why the game crashed and it will hopefully highlight the issue, the more people that use it, the more likely it is to work... be warned, your crash reports will be substantially larger than they previously were (80mb ish, instead of like 20kb) so it will take longer to upload.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited October 2018
    Being honest, "forcing" people to play on the beta branch 6 years after the release so the devs can get proper crash reports and fix errors in the production branch is... disheartening?
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    .trixX. wrote: »
    Being honest, "forcing" people to play on the beta branch 6 years after the release so the devs can get proper crash reports and fix errors in the production branch is... disheartening?

No one is being forced, they are being asked to.

Also, the crashes are disheartening, the devs asking for help is communication, which I personally find appealing, not disheartening.... if they were completely silent on the matter, i'd be disheartened.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I've merged these two threads that both had to do with crashes.

This issue remains our #1 priority as a team!
    Our anniversary patch (october 31st of every year) has been cut in half, in regards to the content and size of it, as a result of spending so much resources on resolving the crashing.
    As mentioned we've hired fsfod - who is a magician with LuaJIT - solely to remedy this.
    Believe me, it kills us everyday that this issue isn't fixed.

That all being said : tomorrow we'll be holding a public PT with a *potential* fix for it.
    We'd love it if those who are prone to said crashes would join us for some games and some specific reproduction steps to see if it's addressed in our latest build!
    https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/155077/public-playtest-of-325-tomorrow#latest
  • soundmansoundman Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22532Members
    edited October 2018
    I turned off all C protocols in the BIOS and set my CPU to fixed 4000mhz, I noticed that the NS2 responded to IDLE / LAST of the cpu sensitively and it therefore crashed.

Turn off and test C1E, C5, C6, etc., remember if these options are turned off, you have to set a clock because then the cpu maintains its standard clock.

I have a 3770k cpu with 3.5ghz standard, fix 4000mhz

Good luck.

(Hyperthreading turned off brings more stable fps in ns2, my observation!)