Game locks up entire pc after ~2 minutes and forces me to disconnect my pc from the current

UnderwaterSandwichUnderwaterSandwich Join Date: 2018-09-22 Member: 243697Members
edited September 2018 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Hey there!
I've been playing subnautica for about 10 hours now, never with any problem at all. But suddenly, i can't play anymore. At all. Here's what happens:
it's enough when i start up the game and stay in menu for about 2 minutes, i don't even have to play it for it to lock up my pc, the screen goes completely blank, with differing colors, sometimes black, sometimes red, and so on, the sound is completely gone and i can't even restart my pc without disconnecting it from the current.
At first i thought my gpu was overheating or i had to reinstall my graphics card driver, but nothing works. And subnautica is the only game with this problem. everything else works fine. I also reinstalled subnautica several times but that didn't help, too.

If it helps you:
here's my DxDiag: https://pastebin.com/pDj61Rj2
and here's my output_log: https://pastebin.com/JxG26Z8n

Can anyone help me with this? I'm close to giving up.

Comments

• Dcox78Dcox78 Join Date: 2018-03-17 Member: 239208Members
    I just finished playing the game all the way through with no problem. You may not have the right hardware to play the game. This game taxes your hardware to its max. If you don't have the right hardware then your computer can't keep up. I had to upgrade my Graphic card to the Geforce GTX 1060 6GB. Now I have no problem. You might want to look into upgrading your hardware. O by the way it would be best to get this graphic card on ebay if your thinking of getting this one its much cheaper. Just be very carful as to who you buy it from.
  • UnderwaterSandwichUnderwaterSandwich Join Date: 2018-09-22 Member: 243697Members
    edited September 2018
    I don't think that's the problem. I have a GTX 980 Ti, an i7-6700 processor and 32 gb of ram, specifically for more demanding games. I formatted my ssd so i can completely be sure that it's a hardware problem. Whether or not that fixed it, i'll post here.

EDIT:
    Alright, so i uninstalled everything on my hard drive, including the OS, but the problem still persists. Also, now i've noticed that i get fps drops in games i didn't get in 3 days ago. GPU-Z tells me that GPU Load and Memory Control Load both have severe spikes, but i don't know if that and subnautica are connected. I'll be going to tech support in a few days and give you an update then.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I don't think that's the problem. I have a GTX 980 Ti, an i7-6700 processor and 32 gb of ram, specifically for more demanding games. I formatted my ssd so i can completely be sure that it's a hardware problem. Whether or not that fixed it, i'll post here.

EDIT:
    Alright, so i uninstalled everything on my hard drive, including the OS, but the problem still persists. Also, now i've noticed that i get fps drops in games i didn't get in 3 days ago. GPU-Z tells me that GPU Load and Memory Control Load both have severe spikes, but i don't know if that and subnautica are connected. I'll be going to tech support in a few days and give you an update then.

Power Supply? Or maybe the GPU itself.
  • NilsouNilsou France Join Date: 2018-09-10 Member: 243465Members
    Try a stress test of your PC, with a thing like OCCT for the GPU or with cpu-z for stressing cpu. There is good probabilities that one of the two test will run into the same problem.
  • UnderwaterSandwichUnderwaterSandwich Join Date: 2018-09-22 Member: 243697Members
    Here's the update:
    I've went to tech support, but sadly that didn't help the case. He checked for faulty hardware and ran several stress tests, (here's the protocol of one of them: https://pastebin.com/01rGmwdZ), but he couldn't find any flaws. So it is not a software problem, and somehow also not a hardware problem.
    Last thing i can think of is a faulty ssd. I've got a 2012 2TB-ssd, so the issue might have something to do with it. I'll need some days to get one, but when i'm done, i'll let you know whether or not that helped.
  • McGalcriMcGalcri Spain Join Date: 2017-11-10 Member: 233921Members
    edited October 2018
    Maybe, your subnautica game have corrupted files. Try checking the files integrity from Steam, maybe that helps.

Im playing the game with i5 6400 2.7Ghz, nVidia GT730 2Gb (really old), 8Gb RAM in 1280x720p. My average FPSs is around 20-25 so... your hardware IS PERFECT if my toaster PC can manage it.
    edited October 2018
    McGalcri wrote: »
    Maybe, your subnautica game have corrupted files. Try checking the files integrity from Steam, maybe that helps.

Im playing the game with i5 6400 2.7Ghz, nVidia GT730 2Gb (really old), 8Gb RAM in 1280x720p. My average FPSs is around 20-25 so... your hardware IS PERFECT if my toaster PC can manage it.

I've already tried this several times, without success, sadly.
    But:
    this might me my last update, i'll edit when im done.
    I think i know what's up with my pc: So i have got a hdd which i boot the OS from, and an external ssd. It's my hdd which is from 2012, not my ssd, and i'm not the only one to have encountered those kind of problems with such an old hdd. Right now, i'm backing up my ssd and then i'll install my OS onto my ssd, not hdd. If those troubleshootings are correct, then that should fix my problems. So, see you again either in a few hours or tomorrow.

EDIT: Alright, that didn't work. Booting the OS from a usb ssd results in ~10 fps at mediocre settings. I've already ordered a new ssd which will be delivered on monday, so see you then.
    Alright, i officially give up.
    The ssd changed virtually nothing. So everytime i play a game, my pc just locks up after a few minutes, and i have absolutely no damn clue why. I have tried different stress tests for every piece of hardware there is, nothing. I have changed my hdd to a ssd, nothing. I swapped every cable for everything i have, nothing. I reinstalled windows several times, nothing. I checked for broken game files, nothing. I un- and reinstalled nVidia drivers, nothing. I event went to tech support two times now, and still, nothing. What is this? Why does no one else on this planet seem to have this exact problem?
    Alright, i officially give up.
    The ssd changed virtually nothing. So everytime i play a game, my pc just locks up after a few minutes, and i have absolutely no damn clue why. I have tried different stress tests for every piece of hardware there is, nothing. I have changed my hdd to a ssd, nothing. I swapped every cable for everything i have, nothing. I reinstalled windows several times, nothing. I checked for broken game files, nothing. I un- and reinstalled nVidia drivers, nothing. I event went to tech support two times now, and still, nothing. What is this? Why does no one else on this planet seem to have this exact problem?

Are you getting clean power from your outlet? That'll do it. Try another outlet, or, perhaps it's the entire house, try running it at a friend's house. (I've heard stories of this happening before.)
  • SirTarqueSirTarque Join Date: 2018-10-14 Member: 244135Members
    edited October 2018
    I had the very same problem. In order to find the solution I tried everything mentioned on several web sites or forum discussions, including the hard ones like reinstalling the whole game, moving the game to SSD (it loads much faster, yay, but crashes just the same), downgrading my GPU drivers to March 2018, replacing the power supply (!), and so on. I use an AMD GPU, a still quite good one (Radeon Nano), and it seems the game has problems with GPU drivers since a long time.

I nearly gave up, just like you, but then I found a solution that worked and still works: In the graphics settings I set "ambient occlusion" to "off" and since then the game runs like a charm. In order to find this solution I set all settings to minimal and then set one after each other active and played for a few minutes. I can switch on all other settings to maximum without problems. Ambient occlusion crashed my machine very quickly, after a few minutes, sometimes already at the loading screen.

Maybe you would like to try this. Hope this helps, fingers crossed! :)
    @0x6A7232 sadly that didn't resolve it either.
    @SirTarque thanks for your help, but this has become a non-specific issue. It happens in every game i play. I guess i'll start slowly replacing the hardware components and hope i get the right one very soon.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Sadly this sounds like a hardware issue, but you should try various other stress tests first. I do not see any obvious issues in the files you provided.

Try stressing your system with 3DMark, and then other Unity games like TheForest. or Raft. If those fail too, then it's likely hardware. If none of those fail, it could be a software glitch somewhere on your system. Start with replacing all drivers with new versions.
    @Obraxis so up until now i've tried FurMark, MSI Afterburner, Prime95 and memtest64, but nothing leads to the same result. And it's not just unity games, e.g., New Vegas, GTA V and MGS V have the same problem. Weird thing is, old games like Bioshock work just fine. I guess it has something to do with "Memory Control Load" and "GPU Load" spiking, so hopefully a new GPU will solve this problem.
    @Obraxis so up until now i've tried FurMark, MSI Afterburner, Prime95 and memtest64, but nothing leads to the same result. And it's not just unity games, e.g., New Vegas, GTA V and MGS V have the same problem. Weird thing is, old games like Bioshock work just fine. I guess it has something to do with "Memory Control Load" and "GPU Load" spiking, so hopefully a new GPU will solve this problem.

Could be a problem in your GPU memory, that old games don't use b/c they use only a few hundred MB of VRAM?

Try some graphics stress tests, like Obraxis said. Problems like this are very frustrating, to be sure. If you can borrow known good equipment from people, that would be optimal.
    Alright everybody, i finally know what the problem is. Come to think of it, it's pretty stupid that i didn't notice this before.
    So when monitoring my gpu stress test with gpu-z, "memory controller load" and "GPU Load" weren't the only things spiking:
    blbz14ausr3b.jpg
    So this problem has to do with the fact that this card (which seems to be faulty) suddenly has problems with maintaining its power, which results in the card overclocking and underclocking until crash. I was able to temporarily fix this issue with Aorus by underclocking the gpu, but this resulted in worse performance than before. So thanks everyone for sticking with me for this -almost- month, but at the end of the day, i guess i'll still have to purchase a new gpu.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Alright everybody, i finally know what the problem is. Come to think of it, it's pretty stupid that i didn't notice this before.
    So when monitoring my gpu stress test with gpu-z, "memory controller load" and "GPU Load" weren't the only things spiking:
    blbz14ausr3b.jpg
    So this problem has to do with the fact that this card (which seems to be faulty) suddenly has problems with maintaining its power, which results in the card overclocking and underclocking until crash. I was able to temporarily fix this issue with Aorus by underclocking the gpu, but this resulted in worse performance than before. So thanks everyone for sticking with me for this -almost- month, but at the end of the day, i guess i'll still have to purchase a new gpu.

Glad you finally found a fix man. Been tracking this whole thing from the start, happy it worked out.
    The power connectors are fully seated (should have the locking tabs engaged), right? I'm sure they are if you replaced the Power Supply, but I know sometimes the cables go in pretty hard and some people are afraid to damage their equipment, so I figured there's a minuscule possibility you didn't fully seat the cables that go to the GPU. If you pushed them until they locked into place, though, that settles that.
    @0x6A7232 i can 100% confirm that's not the case because when i swapped gpus with a friend of mine, my pc was perfectly fine but his crashed.
    @0x6A7232 i can 100% confirm that's not the case because when i swapped gpus with a friend of mine, my pc was perfectly fine but his crashed.

Gotcha. Yeah, that's the best way to test; swap out with known working hardware. Time for a new GPU! (Is it still under warranty? Check that first!)
    Sadly, the warranty expired 6 months ago.
    YES! The new gpu arrived surprisingly soon, and now everything runs perfectly fine and smooth. Guess it's time to finally build that cyclops :)
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    I am super glad you found the cause of this and got a solution.
  • oaktree15oaktree15 USA Join Date: 2018-10-20 Member: 244228Members
    edited October 2018
    Hi everyone
    I'm having a similar issue. I have been playing for 9hrs with no problems at all. I can open the game and then load up my saved game and it loads fine and brings up the game. Everything seems fine I can look around by moving the mouse but if I try to move with any of the movement keys I can only go a few feet and then the screen goes black with my mouse pointer swirling. If I press anything more the screen goes white and a little dialog box says subnatica.exe has stopped working. And there is two buttons one says wait for the program to respond and the other says cancel. If I hit cancel it just goes to my desktop....

My computer is running win 7 64 bit
    And my graphics card is a AMD Radeon 5770 HD
    And I have 12gbs of ram..

Also If I start a new game and mess around a bit and go collect a few things and save and exit the game and then come back in it works just fine.

Thanks ahead of time.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

5770 HD looks to be a 1GB card. Try running using the lowest settings, not sure if even that will work.
    edited October 2018
    @oaktree15
    If it isn't the card, try checking the game for broken files, or completely reinstall it.
    If that doesn't work, navigate to your main Subnautica folder, back up "SNAppData", find your save in \SNAppData\SavedGames ("slot0000" would be the first save) and then delete "CellsCache" and "CompiledOctreesCache".
    If those folders don't exist or it simply doesn't fix the problem, you can alternatively download GPU-Z, monitor your hardware while playing and posting a screenshot like i did.
    EDIT: Grammar
  • oaktree15oaktree15 USA Join Date: 2018-10-20 Member: 244228Members
    edited October 2018
    Thanks so much guys for your quick response... deleting the cells cache folder did the trick! I didn't have a CompiledOctreesCache file though.
    Thanks again!! :)
    Side note; does Subnautica run on 1GB cards? Thought it required at least 2GB of video memory?? Maybe they optimized it enough to run on 1GB, IDK.
    gamemodapk wrote: »
    The power connectors are completely situated (ought to have the locking tabs drawn in), isn't that so? I'm certain they are on the off chance that you supplanted the Power Supply, yet I know once in a while the links go in really hard and a few people are reluctant to harm their gear, so I figured there's a minute probability you didn't completely situate the links that go to the GPU. On the off chance that you pushed them until the point that they bolted into place, however, that settles that.

Hi! Can you name a few of the types of fish you can pick up in Subnautica?
    @0x6A7232 there are several 1gb gpu performance tests for subnatica on youtube. It looks bad compared to more modern gpus, but it seems to work.