Resources extremely scarce in latest experimental builds

elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
I've started a new Survival game every time a new experimental build has come out over the past week or so, and I've been seeing some obvious bugs.

One is that doors in wrecks weren't in place, so that I could swim through places I wasn't supposed to be able to.

Another is that resources, especially Sandstone, are extremely hard to find. Seaglide parts, and even limestone too. All the normal places where I've seen sandstone in previous game versions are empty. It's to the point where I can't get anything done because I don't have any silver.

I'm not sure what build I'm on because the number isn't displaying up in the corner anymore, but I did send a bug report about the lack of sandstone.

Has anybody else encountered this in the experimental builds?

Comments

• baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    I've started a new Survival game every time a new experimental build has come out over the past week or so, and I've been seeing some obvious bugs.

One is that doors in wrecks weren't in place, so that I could swim through places I wasn't supposed to be able to.

Another is that resources, especially Sandstone, are extremely hard to find. Seaglide parts, and even limestone too. All the normal places where I've seen sandstone in previous game versions are empty. It's to the point where I can't get anything done because I don't have any silver.

I'm not sure what build I'm on because the number isn't displaying up in the corner anymore, but I did send a bug report about the lack of sandstone.

Has anybody else encountered this in the experimental builds?

I reverted to Stable because of a different issue (endless black bubbles that caused hardcore CPU/iGPU thrashing), so I can't help you with this, but I can tell you the version# will be on the (ahem) splash screen.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    I reverted to Stable because of a different issue (endless black bubbles that caused hardcore CPU/iGPU thrashing), so I can't help you with this, but I can tell you the version# will be on the (ahem) splash screen.

I reverted to Stable, too, but I actually had lag issues with clicking on things. It was weird, sometimes I had to click on something several times, and other times when I was selecting something in my inventory, it would get stuck to the mouse cursor and I'd have to close the inventory to fix it.

Went back to Experimental (it still doesn't show the version number on the main menu screen), and that got rid of the laggy/sticky cursor problem, and several updates later, most of the resource spawning problems seem to be fixed. (On one build, crashfish weren't giving sulfur, that was really frustrating.) Still, when I go to places in caves where I would expect to see Sandstone nodes, they're not there. I can find them elsewhere, but I have to go far afield to do it.
    A 300mb update to Experimental this afternoon and it looks like resources are even more broken than before. One game I found exactly one piece of Limestone. In another there was no scrap metal at all. This is a bummer, guys.
    Every now and then I think the latest update has fixed the problem, but it seems to be luck of the draw whether things will spawn properly or not. One game I only ever found one piece of the beacon, another game there were no parts for the mobile vehicle bay. Between this and the sticky cursor in the stable version, I've gotten frustrated enough to give up on the game for the time being.

I'll check back in a couple of weeks to see if any of these have been fixed. x.x
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We're aware of this issue and are looking into the cause. Expect Experimental to often break as we work on making the game run better.
    edited October 2018
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We're aware of this issue and are looking into the cause. Expect Experimental to often break as we work on making the game run better.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate that you guys are working on it and I know the Experimental isn't meant to be reliable. It's all good, just frustrating sometimes.

A quick update, though: I started a Hardcore game and the resource problem doesn't happen there.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Another update for anyone who's curious:
    I may have spoken too soon. The resource spawning seems to have been fixed in the particular part of the Safe Shallows where my game started, but is still showing up elsewhere. Elsewhere the resources aren't showing where I'd expect them to.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    elfcrisis, try going to a random area that is having trouble spawning resources, save, then clear cellcaches. Note whether this fixes resources in the random area, and whether it breaks the starting area.
    @narfblat Clearing the cellcache actually fixed several areas, and did not break my starting area. There were still some areas that were broken, but I'm not sure if they were already that way or got broken when I cleared the cache. Still, now I have a way to fix an area if I really need it.

Thanks!
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    So... does this mean the bug has been fixed, or that clearing the cellcache can only fix certain areas?
    @baronvonsatan As far as I know the bug has not been fixed. I also ran into another problem that may or may not be related to clearing the cell cache, but there's some correlation.

I was going to go mining in the Jellyshroom caves with my Prawn, so I parked my Cyclops right over one of the entrances and jumped down there in the Prawn suit. The caves were empty of resources, so I cleared the cache and that fixed it. However, when I went to get back to the Cyclops, the bay doors wouldn't open.

They wouldn't open for the Prawn or a newly built Seamoth. I cleared the cache again, but that had no effect. Built another Cyclops and that one worked... until I destroyed the old Cyclops for giggles, then the doors on the new sub wouldn't open either. I've kind of given up playing for the time being because of this stuff. c.c
    @elfcrisis Yikes, that is game-breakingly bad. When I was having trouble with the infinite black bubbles, I had also noticed that in one of particular side cave of a big Giant Coral Tube in the Safe Shallows, the three sandstone outcroppings that are usually there weren't. I depend on those for getting a High Capacity Tank on the first day. Looks like I reverted to Stable to avoid the worst of this bug.
  • lagnadlagnad Norway Join Date: 2018-11-15 Member: 244734Members
    elfcrisis wrote: »

I reverted to Stable, too, but I actually had lag issues with clicking on things. It was weird, sometimes I had to click on something several times, and other times when I was selecting something in my inventory, it would get stuck to the mouse cursor and I'd have to close the inventory to fix it.

Went back to Experimental (it still doesn't show the version number on the main menu screen), and that got rid of the laggy/sticky cursor problem, and several updates later, most of the resource spawning problems seem to be fixed. (On one build, crashfish weren't giving sulfur, that was really frustrating.) Still, when I go to places in caves where I would expect to see Sandstone nodes, they're not there. I can find them elsewhere, but I have to go far afield to do it.

I had the same problem with the cursor. Disabling the the steam overlay for the game fixed the problem for me.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    So... does this mean the bug has been fixed, or that clearing the cellcache can only fix certain areas?

This has now been fixed, but you may need to clear your cellcache if you are using saved games in experimental.
  • RedRexRulesRedRexRules England Join Date: 2018-12-05 Member: 245177Members
    i am still experiencing this bug when on a new world on xbox suvival and have only found 4 sandstone in over 1 hour of playing
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    i am still experiencing this bug when on a new world on xbox suvival and have only found 4 sandstone in over 1 hour of playing

This bug is not fixed on Xbox, give it time. It's already being fixed.
    We have a fix for this issue already in Microsoft certification. Hopefully it should be out very soon.