tower-defence, failing base integrity, hunt for creepy crawlies

BoffBoff Sweden Join Date: 2018-08-12 Member: 242804Members
One of the Wonderfull things about base construction is structural integrity.

But once you get into the pattern of don't build unless you can fit a reinforcement plate in advance or a bulkhead door.
The "structural integrity gameplay" sadly stops at that point.

Having bulkhead doors, with water coming in and out, is cool, but a lot of that gameplay is only there for the novice players.

So one of the staples of movies with regards to bulkhead doors is the tower defence or creature hunting. Aliens (sealing themselves in waiting for rescue), or Alien crawling through the air-ducts.

When the protagonist is forced to hide in a few rooms in a base due to a big bad sneaking in, continually closing doors to make sure nothing comes in or out would be a lovely twist.

But what about repair and flooding? What if there are packs of metal eating pirhana (a sub-species of smaller stalkers?) attracted to light and will eat metal.
Who could randomly terrorise the players base?

Moonpools, are an eternal entry point, as are glass panels (which they'll punch through)

If the cyclops can have a temporary shield, why not a base?
A spotlight-esque module that can repel an attack. shield or repulsion gun tech.
Forcing the player to think more than just "structural integrity", but what if I get an attack, and my defences fail, and one of those things get inside.

Comments

• elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    I'm torn between the idea of having to keep up with base integrity more than what you do now, and not having to bother with it. It's true that once you figure out the pattern, you don't have to worry about it, though things are more fragile when you're building deeper down.

I like the idea of stuff getting into your base and you having to isolate it, but I think it could get old pretty quickly. "Oh god I have to deal with another thing chewing up my base."
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    These are good suggestions for a different game. As the devs have explained, this game is finished.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    Great suggestions for the next game though
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    To tell the truth, sometimes I just leave my moonpool super broken, so the water fills in, and I can keep my base dark, and sectioned off. Also, sometimes, if I swim in and out of it with my Seaglide out, it will glitch and go incredibly fast, which is super derpy.
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members