Bind ability combinations to the ability keys

MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
This is essentially advanced weapon switch. At the moment switching abilities only changes the ability bound to LMB. Abilities bound to RMB or other other ability keys will always stay the same. I'm suggesting that switching should change the abilities bound to LMB, RMB and any other ability keys. Using this, abilities that are often used together could be grouped up. Which would mean that they player wouldn't need to switch as often.

Using the lerk as an example:

LMB: Bite
RMB: Spike

LMB: Umbra
RMB: Spore

@Tachi suggested that this could be configurable by the player to allow them to set up for specific situations. For example, alongside the two I've mentioned a player might also have custom combo bound to 3:

LMB: Bite
RMB: Spore

Comments

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If it's an option to keep it as is, I don't see why not.

However if we are reimagining controls, I'd rather have the ability activate when you press its designated key, and remove the weapon switch for aliens all together. So when I press 2, it umbras or parasites without me having to fire ie.

Either way, a legacy option is pretty mandatory on this. A lot of people would be upset if you imposed new controls on them.
  • skav2skav2 Join Date: 2007-05-28 Member: 61037Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Being able to use an ability by pressing a button would be wonderful
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I know we've wanted to revamp the controls for a while now. Unfortunately it's not a trivial change at all, otherwise we'd have just done it by now. It's entirely possible we take a serious look at this in the future. :)
  • MeredithMeredith Join Date: 2018-10-26 Member: 244350Members
    edited October 2018
    The ability to bind mousewheeldown/up(to jump) would be a huge addition for me and others who played NS1.

Having secondary key bind options would also be great. I apologize if the second idea is implemented now as I haven't played in 12 months or so and can't remember.

I use x-mouse to allow a mwheeldown bind for jump in the game but it's not the greatest because it overloads the mouse and causes serious tracking jitter. It's the main reason I haven't played in a while.

Increasing the 200 fps cap would be beneficial as well for people with 240hz+ monitors and hardware.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Meredith wrote: »
    Increasing the 200 fps cap would be beneficial as well for people with 240hz+ monitors and hardware.

This one is already done.