Leviathan/creature ideas (edit: for the arctic dlc)

Cire555Cire555 bend Join Date: 2018-01-02 Member: 234752Members
edited September 2018 in Ideas and Suggestions
Just a few ideas for leviathans/creatures I think would be interesting concepts:

sea mist leviathan: a large predator that has a symbiotic relationship with a type of phytoplankton which it expels from its body causing the surrounding waters to become murky and difficult to navigate, allowing it to ambush its prey while hidden in the fog like waters. (I think this would be a unique predictor in that while the player would be given ample warning due to the decrease in visibility it’s ambush tactics would make it one of the more terrifying creatures in subnautica)

Sky whale leviathan: a large flying realitive of the glow whale it uses its large bucket like mouth to skimm the water’s surface for prey, expelling the excess water through gill like organs on the side of its body. (This could be used as a deterrent for players spending to long at the surface or just be used for asthetic purposes think of it as a kind of sky orca crossed with a pelican)

Ghost shark: a fast shark like realitive of the ghost leviathan it has a mane like membrain that it utilizes in hunting. this membrane acts as a fishin net surrounding its prey in and drawing it into its mouth. (Not my best idea but I like the concept of a fish that has a built in fishing net that it can use to trap the player)

Trap fish: this oddly shaped fish burries itself in the sand with its mouth open, it uses its long snake like tongue to collect nearby resources that it uses to bait unwitting prey into swimming to close before closing its mouth like a bear trap sealing its prey inside. (Just to make you think twice about convenient piles of resources)

Ram fish: a squid like fish with a close resemblance to the sea moth they are fiercely territorial and ram into each other using the large bone plates on their head to vie for dominance (while not aggressive to the player these could be very aggressive towards your seamoth and offer a significant risk towards what it usually a fairly safe environment)

So those are just some ideas I’ve had recently, let me know what you guys think, I’m always open to feedback.

Comments

• ShrekislifeShrekislife Shrek's Grand Swamp Join Date: 2018-07-31 Member: 242594Members
    Wow nice ideas
    This reminds me of something I'd do
    Hope the devs see ur ideas :)
  • ClocksickoClocksicko Tega Cay, South Carolina, USA Join Date: 2018-08-27 Member: 243061Members
    I have an idea for a leviathan:

Charybdis leviathan: Named after the sea monster in Greek mythology, this creature is a massive animal that comes out of the water and sucks up the water so it can eat bacteria. This creates huge whirlpools, and can suck in the player who gets too close to it. This creature can only be found in the crater edge, and you have to go out there far enough to find it.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    edited September 2018
    Some nice ideas @Cire555

Sea Mist Leviathan sounds good, maybe even pretty if phytoplankton was involved. Either way it would provide an interesting instrument navigation challenge using sonar (always seemed a sadly unnecessary use of a Seamoth module slot)

Sky-whale and Ghost-shark are both great images. But what kind of mechanic plays out when that actually scoop up a player? Not saying there is none, but I can't quite imagine how it would work. If you stay caught, I'd guess you'd slowly loose health during digestion and die. But what kind of escape mechanic do you envision for the sky-whale?
    ek0eimkf0joq.jpg
  • Cire555Cire555 bend Join Date: 2018-01-02 Member: 234752Members
    BlueBottle wrote: »
    Some nice ideas @Cire555

Sea Mist Leviathan sounds good, maybe even pretty if phytoplankton was involved. Either way it would provide an interesting instrument navigation challenge using sonar (always seemed a sadly unnecessary use of a Seamoth module slot)

Sky-whale and Ghost-shark are both great images. But what kind of mechanic plays out when that actually scoop up a player? Not saying there is none, but I can't quite imagine how it would work. If you stay caught, I'd guess you'd slowly loose health during digestion and die. But what kind of escape mechanic do you envision for the sky-whale?
    ek0eimkf0joq.jpg

Thank you for the compliments about the sea-mist leviathan, that’s exactly what I was going for! As for the skywhale I imagine it’s face would be a bit more like that of a pelican than the whale shark image you posted. at least in that it would have a bucket like lower jaw. As for the mechinism involved I think the that the scooping mechanism would probably be an animation similar to how the reaper grabs the sea moth, and would be proximity dependent, if you happened to be close to one when it was skimming the surface it would scoop you, which would put you in an inclosed environment (its mouth) filled with water which would quickly drain, if you don’t act fast enough you would be swallowed “die” and wake up in your base, however if you give it enough damage it would drop you and you would fall somewhere on the map. the ghost shark On the other hand would likely crate a kind of bubble with the membrane and I imagine if you stabbed it enough it would let you go and search for new prey.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    It would be great if they add a leviathan gullet escape mechanism in the expansion. I believe the current Sea Dragon can swallow you, but then your game just fades to black.

But mostly just I want to get carried off by Skywhale, and then dumped high up in its nest as baby food! Then obviously, steal a Skywhale egg and incubate it until my new ride hatches.