There's a large splinter in my likeness of this game. And it's the company.

TyderfTyderf Join Date: 2015-12-31 Member: 210696Members
There's a large splinter in my likeness of this game. It's the company: They're complete left handed as can be liberals. They put no guns in the game as a statement against gun violence, who cares. They fired the sound guy cus he didn't fit their eleftist values, the guy who had probably the most important role in the game's development now gone, nice job.

I really like this game but this will always be on my mind when I am playing it now and I can no longer enjoy the game as I used to. I'm definitely not going to buy any other game or product again from this company besides the expansion. Sorry, but I just very much dislike people this left and liberal. And Idc ban me for what I think just like you banned Sy. Screw this company.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    You need to learn to pick your battles. UWE isn't that bad, but they do have lefty beliefs and some far-left wackos stirred the pot on this one. I'm pretty sure if this had come up internally UWE and Sy would have worked something out (like be more diplomatic on your social media accounts).

Not sure? Simon still loves them, they can't really be that bad. The people to be angry at are these lovely folks:
    subnautica-threadsumm2uk6o.png
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Also, what is it with the crazy amount of asking to be banned in threads like these? Almost any person who has said something, maybe even remotely controversial, they pretty much ask to be banned for stating an opinion. Even I do this from time to time.

What is it with asking for bans and opinions? Has Reddit really infiltrated every community?
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    bahaha what even are you
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2018
    Skope wrote: »
    Also, what is it with the crazy amount of asking to be banned in threads like these? Almost any person who has said something, maybe even remotely controversial, they pretty much ask to be banned for stating an opinion. Even I do this from time to time.

What is it with asking for bans and opinions? Has Reddit really infiltrated every community?

Maybe because "look at me taking offense or having an edgy opinion" asking to get banned as a sort of "told you so, look at them suppressing my views"?

@Maalteromm, but people like their echochambers of circlejerking :trollface:
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited September 2018
    This is the exact reason why I stay out of American plotics. People get mad easily if you have a different opinion
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Tyderf wrote: »
    They put no guns in the game as a statement against gun violence,

Guns aren't exactly useful underwater... coughtorpedoescough

@Kouji_San That's it, reality has become one giant Monty Python skit. Explains things frightening well...
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    edited September 2018
    Sure, political argument is potentially enlightening. Unfortunately, once you've drunk the Kool-Aid (red or blue) you're made immune to reasoned argument. Opinions get scripted, predictable and BORING.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    but people like their echochambers of circlejerking
    Ralij wrote: »
    That's it, reality has become one giant Monty Python skit.
    Loved these one-liners.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Unknown worlds games:
    first game: Natural Selection, has guns
    second game: Natural Selection 2, has guns
    third game: Subnautica, no guns
    (I think they have another multiplayer game in the works, which will have guns)

Is this an anti-gun agenda, or did they make a single game that didn't have them?
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    narfblat wrote: »
    Is this an anti-gun agenda, or did they make a single game that didn't have them?
    It's more than propaganda.

A humongous fraction of games have some sort of guns/violence embedded in their game mechanics.
    Most non-violent games are usually puzzles, walking sims or classical adventures, rarely being present as anything else.

Subnautica is extremely innovative not only due to the setting, but also for being a first person, sandbox, exploration game in which violence is not a requirement for progression. In fact, it is heavily discouraged.
    I would prefer if it was further discouraged, e.g. not letting leviathans die or making stalkers swarm you if any of them was attacked.

There's a large niche for these kind of games. And if people can profit while sharing their own views to the world all the better.
  • LavLav Minsk, Belarus Join Date: 2018-06-18 Member: 241524Members
    narfblat wrote: »
    IIRC it was claimed to be a reaction to a specific gun-related incident, not a consistent policy.
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    Tyderf wrote: »
    There's a large splinter in my likeness of this game. It's the company: They're complete left handed as can be liberals. They put no guns in the game as a statement against gun violence, who cares. They fired the sound guy cus he didn't fit their eleftist values, the guy who had probably the most important role in the game's development now gone, nice job.

I really like this game but this will always be on my mind when I am playing it now and I can no longer enjoy the game as I used to. I'm definitely not going to buy any other game or product again from this company besides the expansion. Sorry, but I just very much dislike people this left and liberal. And Idc ban me for what I think just like you banned Sy. Screw this company.

(cracks fingers)
    Although I have several hundred opinions on life, guns, democratic and republican parties, violence, racism (I'll give you a hint: I'm against it) I'll keep my opinions in line for this. I mildy understand where you are coming from, with the guns thing (even though there aren't guns underwater). However, we're not safe to assume that Unknown Worlds, or any of its members are indeed "antigun." It's just a game. It might be just to get people away from extremely violent games. For all we know, maybe they tried to put guns in the game, but they can't find a purpose or a way to implement them. Keep this as a mindset: you can't assume anything about anyone. UWE might be the most liberal or most left-wing people you've ever met. You still have to treat them with kindness, and respect and politely say you disagree with them.
  • LavLav Minsk, Belarus Join Date: 2018-06-18 Member: 241524Members
    I mildy understand where you are coming from, with the guns thing (even though there aren't guns underwater).
    Erm...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_firearm
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    Lav wrote: »
    I mildy understand where you are coming from, with the guns thing (even though there aren't guns underwater).
    Erm...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_firearm

First of all, that thing is terrifying. Second of all, it shoots needles and doesn't use gunpowder. (although technically it is a firearm. Touché)
This discussion has been closed.