[BUG] Terrain fails to reload and ability to save compromised [Experimental: #60529] [FIXED]

baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
edited September 2018 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
If I swim out to Lifepod #17 and return to Lifepod #5, terrain will completely fail to load. "Completely" is not an exaggeration. Saving and reloading does not fix the problem because attempting to save results in a perpetually spinning Alterra logo and nothing else.

This makes the game rather unplayable. That's a shame, because the new optimizations are noticeable even on the title screen.

Comments

• baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    I should also note: fauna and other lifepods also fail to load. The silence and the void are eerie.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Upload your saved game?
  • HikkeHikke Join Date: 2018-08-29 Member: 243101Members
    I have encountered this exact same issue, complete with inability to save, though i was not returning from lifepod #17 but just from a normal early game scanning run in one of the red grass areas.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    Hikke wrote: »
    I have encountered this exact same issue, complete with inability to save, though i was not returning from lifepod #17 but just from a normal early game scanning run in one of the red grass areas.

...the problem prevents a saved game from happening.
    Hikke wrote: »

I usually get to Lifepod 17 by Day 2 (you get the radio message shortly after crafting a Seaglide), and there's a lot of plateau area out that way.
    Problem is persisting through the latest experimental update (#60559). I've noticed that of the two moons, the smaller does not appear in my sky any more.
    Did you just post on Facebook SN group? Try chkdsk and re-verify.
    I didn't, but I will try those! I guess I'm not the only one having the issue, then.
    A possible fix: revert to Stable build (worked for FB guy).
  • ellpeellpe Join Date: 2018-08-30 Member: 243130Members
    If I swim out to Lifepod #17 and return to Lifepod #5, terrain will completely fail to load. "Completely" is not an exaggeration. Saving and reloading does not fix the problem because attempting to save results in a perpetually spinning Alterra logo and nothing else.

This makes the game rather unplayable. That's a shame, because the new optimizations are noticeable even on the title screen.

Have exactly the same problem.
  • HikkeHikke Join Date: 2018-08-29 Member: 243101Members
    Can confirm that I still have the same problem in build 60559.
    CHKDSK revealed no errors (which is unsurprising; the HD is <2 years old) and all my game files were verified. I've considered reverting back to Stable, but we've been through "unplayable" before and gotten through it.
    edited September 2018
    What'd I say? As of experimental update #60574, this problem appears to have gone away. (Gotta do a little more testing before I declare this 'Fixed.')
    Testing done; bug squashed.
  • DanboDanbo Spokane Join Date: 2018-09-19 Member: 243650Members
    edited September 2018
    I am having the same problem I don't know how to upload my save game and i cant post a picture. Also been trying to save for 10 min and nothing. All I did was gather gel and rubys. Have tried dying and that did not solve it either.
    Danbo wrote: »
    I am having the same problem I don't know how to upload my save game and i cant post a picture. Also been trying to save for 10 min and nothing. All I did was gather gel and rubys. Have tried dying and that did not solve it either.

As I said, the problem was solved AS OF UPDATE #60574. That was a whole bunch of experimental updates ago. If it has come back, then something has changed in the nearly three weeks since I posted that the bug was squashed. We're now on Experimental Update #60851. I wasn't wrong when I posted, but thanks for disagreeing with me anyway.

And you know what? I'm not wrong now either because I just tested the game and it's working fine for me. If you're having this same problem 11 hours later then either update Subnautica or revert back to stable.

@Foxy would you kindly close this thread? I would prefer not to field any further uninformed ridiculousness regarding this SOLVED PROBLEM because, it being nearly midnight here, I've had some drinks and I feel like I might get a little impolite.
    In b4 thread put below zero.
  • Savage_EVO_GuySavage_EVO_Guy USA Join Date: 2018-09-21 Member: 243671Members
    edited September 2018
    Well I just downloaded this game, played 5 hours and 11minutes. After the ship arrived to save me I went swimming in the water to search around. I jumped into the water and all the sea floor and animals were gone. It is like I am swimming in a bottomless dirty pool! I went to save the game and the screen stayed on the saving screen for over 5 minutes before I clicked my mouse and tried to restart it back into the game. Nothing was in the water still and now the saving icon stays looping in the top left corner. I am soooooo pissed because I did not save any progress prior. Why would you release a game if you can't even have a working save on it? I recommended this game to a bunch of people but now am going to notify everyone to stay away from this buggy game. literally not worth your time or money. Very disappointed! Game seemed to have potential too...
    @Obraxis, would you mind closing this thread, possibly deleting the obvious troll comment above?
  • Savage_EVO_GuySavage_EVO_Guy USA Join Date: 2018-09-21 Member: 243671Members
    @Obraxis, would you mind closing this thread, possibly deleting the obvious troll comment above?

Your mother is a troll. This legit happened to me.

Your mother is a troll. This legit happened to me.

Sure it did. You just downloaded Subnautica and it doesn't work. Because that's what the Stable build does: not work. That's why it's called the "Stable" build!

If you're on the Experimental build, then what-- were you too stupid to not understand not only what is implied by the word "Experimental" but also what was explicitly stated about it? If you can't play the game because you can't find your own butt with a map, a flashlight, and your hands tied behind your back, that's nobody's problem but yours. But, see, I think the issue here is not that you're stupid, but that you're lying. I keep not having this problem for some reason. And neither does anybody else.

You can crawl back under your bridge now.
    *sigh* Savage, please post your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\Subnautica_Data\output_log.txt
This discussion has been closed.