Sandworm removal

Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
I don't know if this has already been asked, but why the sandworm was removed? Looks like it fits the Dunes perfectly.

Comments

• SansTheSkelebroSansTheSkelebro Italy Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216071Members
    Yep. It was removed a long time ago, it's not gonna make it in the 1.0 if the game, sorry.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    Yes, but why it was removed?
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Refresh my memory, what is the Sandworm?
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Ah, I thought that's what it was. I can see why it was removed though. It always seemed too overpowered, killing all sorts of creatures.
    Yes, but it was restricted to a single location. If it was mobile, ok, no doubts about it's removal. But it was fixed on a single point, despite being overpowered. So, the question remains: why it was removed?
    I think it would probably be too difficult to implement all the animations for such a gigantic beast. With UWE already doing there best with what they have now, trying to get the Sandworm working would be an incredible task.
  • ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    Skope wrote: »
    I think it would probably be too difficult to implement all the animations for such a gigantic beast. With UWE already doing there best with what they have now, trying to get the Sandworm working would be an incredible task.

Yes but it would be so coooool :dizzy:

I didn't even know about this creature and I thought I know everything about SN :D

How long is it since this was in the game??
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited December 2016
    I've been digging into some of these "whatever happened to's" recently and came across this post by Cory Strader:

"Hmm, don't think that thing being too OP was ever a reason why we didn't add them to the game. It was just a simple quick prototype, using some model that was bought off of the Unity asset store, and never really worked into the game in any meaningful way. If added it would still need a full concept art pass, gameplay design pass, model/texture/animation, then all the programming to get it working. So, mostly just something that we never chose to pursue because we had so many other creatures to deal with."
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    I loved this creature. I'd love if it were added after 1.0, since it's such a cool concept, but I can see how some people would just see it as an OP Sandshark. Still, though, if there's a way to see it under the sand, and it isn't a one-shot on you whilst in a vehicle, I'd love this creature.
  • xav112xav112 Join Date: 2018-08-06 Member: 242705Members
    Why not adding it in a sandworm dlc? like that, people who wants the sandworm, they'll be happy, and the ones who doesnt want sandworm too. I never saw one, but i'm scared af of reapers... and they are BIGGER THAN REAPERS! P.S: The DLC would be free
  • AmadeoneAmadeone YES Join Date: 2017-05-02 Member: 230194Members
    I've heard that it was an asset from some package. I don't remember it well.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    xav112 wrote: »
    Why not adding it in a sandworm dlc? like that, people who wants the sandworm, they'll be happy, and the ones who doesnt want sandworm too. I never saw one, but i'm scared af of reapers... and they are BIGGER THAN REAPERS! P.S: The DLC would be free
    Amadeone wrote: »

Guys this was from two years ago why are you commenting on this?

Sandworm was cut cause it looked off from the rest of Subnautica. It probably will never come back.

Please make a new discussion next time.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    xav112 wrote: »
    Amadeone wrote: »

Guys this was from two years ago why are you commenting on this?

Sandworm was cut cause it looked off from the rest of Subnautica. It probably will never come back.

Please make a new discussion next time.

It wasn't even for Subnautica. They just got it off the store for testing I'm pretty sure.