iMac: huge lag and sound stutter after 15 mins into the game

diLucadiLuca Join Date: 2016-11-16 Member: 223971Members
so i played the beta half year ago and everything was fine back then.

now i returned and the game is fine the first minutes. but then it starts to get huge lag and the sound starts crackling. even on lowest settings. also the rest of the cpu slows down. when i started to write this thread i laged too so i had to quit the game in the background and everything was fine again.

i have a late 2015 iMac with 32 gigs ram and AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB in a 4 GHz Intel Core i7

so whats the deal? what should i do? i have also reinstalled the game but the problem keeps coming up.

Comments

• narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Until someone comes along with iMac experience, I have a few recommendations.

1. Clear out dust, as this may be an overheat problem.
    2. Restart imac, then allow it to fully load before opening game.
    3. Close background programs.
    4. If iMac uses page file, make sure page file is enabled.

post a dxdiag report and output log, click here for instructions.
  • diLucadiLuca Join Date: 2016-11-16 Member: 223971Members
    well, thanks for trying to help but that trash called direct x only exists in the mickeysoft-world.

any dev with iMac knowledge out there?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Don't Macs also have the capability to dual-boot Windows now? Could try that. I think on a Mac it's probably going to be running an OpenGL port or somesuch? Not really sure. But pretty sure it's either a port, or perhaps even a wrapper of some sort?
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    I figured there would be an iMac equivalent for the dxdiag. Is there an output log in the subnautica folder?
    narfblat wrote: »
    I figured there would be an iMac equivalent for the dxdiag. Is there an output log in the subnautica folder?

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/74879/how-do-i-get-technical-information-on-my-video-card-model-ram-mhz-etc
  • diLucadiLuca Join Date: 2016-11-16 Member: 223971Members
    edited August 2018
    yeah i just ordered an external ssd just to make a windows bootcamp for this stupid game... the suspension is killing me.

devs, next time use some quality software to program your games, ty. the idea of the game is good, the gfx is also nice, but thats null the moment half your customers aren't able to play the game properly.

ps: thanks for not responding unknownworlds, 0 customer support helps a lot i guess.
    diLuca wrote: »
    yeah i just ordered an external ssd just to make a windows bootcamp for this stupid game... the suspension is killing me.

devs, next time use some quality software to program your games, ty. the idea of the game is good, the gfx is also nice, but thats null the moment half your customers aren't able to play the game properly.

ps: thanks for not responding unknownworlds, 0 customer support helps a lot i guess.

Try subnautica-support@unknownworlds.com
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    diLuca wrote: »

@diLuca We try and respond as much as possible, but we do all the forum posting ourselves. When we're posting on forums, we're not working on the game.

Saying that, you can sometimes get faster responses in our Discord at discord.gg/subnautica as we hang in there while we work.

As for your performance issue, it is likely due to your iMac using a slower 2.5" laptop mechanical harddrive. Subnautica is a big open-world game, and has a lot of files it needs to access all the time, all over the drive's spinning platter. Accessing these files needed for the game starts to get better with a 7200RPM desktop-class drive or SSD. We're currently doing some optimizations which may help you and others with slower drives in a future patch however.

It seems you've bought an external SSD, this will certainly help. You dont need to install bootcamp, you can install the game on the SSD from MacOS. But you will get higher FPS in Windows on your Mac than MacOS as DirectX tends to run better than OpenGL. All the best.
  • PocketNerdPocketNerd Dragon Falls Join Date: 2018-07-24 Member: 242442Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    As for your performance issue, it is likely due to your iMac using a slower 2.5" laptop mechanical harddrive. Subnautica is a big open-world game, and has a lot of files it needs to access all the time, all over the drive's spinning platter. Accessing these files needed for the game starts to get better with a 7200RPM desktop-class drive or SSD. We're currently doing some optimizations which may help you and others with slower drives in a future patch however.

Can confirm. My wife and I have very similar computers; the biggest difference is hers has an SSD. Subnautica loads much faster on her machine than it does on mine, and performance is notably smoother.