In game mini-freeze

KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
edited August 2018 in Technical Support
Hello,

Been almost 2 years that I got mini-freeze in game for some unknown reasons. Apparently this is also happening to quite a good amount of people (asked a lot). If this can be fixed I think it should be done asap, because that's the kind of bug who is flashing lifeforms/JP/Exos and leaves the player frustrated like "That's not fair, screw it, I am gonna do something else and quit that game".

I have tested that on 3 completly different and unrelated computers: 1 gaming desktop computer set, windows 10 fresh install with all the update (SSD / 3.5Ghz cpu / Nvidia GTX 1050), windows 8 "for homework" laptop (2.5Ghz / HDD / intel default graphical card), and a gaming laptop (HDD / 3Ghz cpu / Nvidia GTX 1050).

I have no clue when they do happen, but murphy's law imply that you freeze at the very moment you don't want to (in front of a shotgun ? just 10cm away from that safe vent ? In combat ?). This also happen outside of a fight but I guess I am noticing them not as much. At least they are not happening too close from each others, maybe a kind of update routine somewhere ?

Below are all the traces I have recorded so far (I am going to add more over time):
* 2 Log trace recorded with "#> record"
* 16 Log trace recorded with "#> p_logall 0", 1 freeze per plog, all recorded today. If you need more just let me know.

Steam discussion thread: https://steamcommunity.com/app/4920/discussions/1/1710690448230583449/
kjigrv3j4hsw.jpg

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    All I can say so far is that some method that's not tagged with profile points called by Client:OnUpdateClient is taking over 900 ms for 1 frame seems to cause the issue. To narrow down this issue we need to add more profile points to the child methods of OnUpdateClient and have to investigate if there is any mod running that hooks into it which could cause such an issue.
  • KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited August 2018
    Can you add those profile point ? push it into the beta and I can provide you as much logs as you need. I have tested it on several servers so I don't think it's mod related.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I was actually having this issue with my AMD ryzen build and rx 480, i swapped out the rx 480 for a 1050ti and saw this micro freeze go away, i did try and change the driver versions with no avail so i can only assume a windows update or something in the gamecode changed with one of the recent patches.
  • fluoritefluorite Join Date: 2019-02-07 Member: 250600Members
    edited February 2019
    im also having an issue with intermittent stuttering, im running a gtx 1060 3GB with an AM4 athlon x4 950, i tried disabling multicore physics rendering and it helped a tiny bit (the stutters happen when i try to aim at a fast moving target mainly so i just end up ragequitting usually) , but its nowhere as smooth as it is on my other computer which is a 1st gen i7-860 with an r7-370. both run windows 10 home x64.

It seems the game uses way more cpu on the athlon than it does on the i7 despite the athlon being leagues ahead of the i7 as far as single thread performance goes.

Should i just say f it and try a fresh windows install on the amd/nvidia pc and pray to god that fixes it?

edit: and it's not the disk i/o either, since the i7-860 machine only uses a hard drive vs the athlon machine's ssd
  • bjornskbjornsk South Carolina, United States of America Join Date: 2019-03-06 Member: 251531Members
    I can concur with losing lifeforms wish these mini-stutters. It is beyond frustrating, especially in a game when you're having to carry.

It's also been an ongoing issue for me once I started playing NS2 again this year.