Idea - Arctic Variants of Subnautica Fish

LeeTwentyThreeLeeTwentyThree Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236321Members
edited August 2018 in Ideas and Suggestions
Okay, so most of these are recolors. But I didn't just MS paint and just used the paint bucket. I actually use the effects that are built into some (somewhat) advanced programs. It took time to select the individual body parts and stuff. But let's start with the Rock Puncher variant.

Oh, before we start... all the art is by me. The Peeper was the hardest to make, and the stalker was the easier (other than the text!)

Ice Puncher
This fauna is found on the surface of the arctic in many different biomes that have a thin layer of ice. It is commonly found, although they are usually spread out. They punch the ice to make cracks, and occasionally holes. They do this to get food from under the surface. They feed on lots of small fish, such as the Arctic Peeper. They get their food by using the spikes on the front legs to grab the food and bring it to the surface for them to eat.

The holes last for 15-30 minutes, then start to repair themselves for the next 5 or so minutes. The small cracks disappear in about 10-15 minutes. However, the holes only fix themselves when the player is far away from them.

z45IHAR.png

Arctic Peeper
The arctic peeper looks like the peeper, but has a blue color and is a bit longer. They are found commonly in large groups to stay warm. However, larger elder ones may be found alone sometimes. They like to eat small invisible plankton, so can be found with their mouth open while swimming. When threatened or attacked, they can make loud terrifying screams, maybe like a banshee or something, idk. They're harmless, but are only edible when cooked because they are so cold.

It looks like a cheap recolor, but that's not what I was trying to do. You can see the larger beak that allows it to make those sounds, and also the larger tail to allow it to swim quickly from predators. They're sure going to give a lot of food back, but catching them isn't easy.
XKfgTYJ.png

Ice Stalker
The ice stalker is the deadliest here. It's similiar to the stalker, but evolved to live in the harsh conditions of the Arctic. They have grown bigger than their relatives, and are much faster. They do a bit more damage. They have trouble seeing, although they can hear really good. So you know that game Granny? Imagine that instead of Granny you had a stalker, and the noise came from you breaking outcrops and stuff.

They hunt in groups, making them even more deadly.

I put a size comparison just to show you the difference in size.
WdM41k0.png

Comments

• Q_bertQ_bert inactivelavart Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members
    Please no. While the art is cool and good, we need completely original fauna for the expansion.
  • LeeTwentyThreeLeeTwentyThree Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236321Members
    edited August 2018
    [deleted message]

okay, not really. I just typed some random words on accident...
    edited August 2018
    @Q_bert wrote: »
    Please no. While the art is cool and good, we need completely original fauna for the expansion.

Okay... I get you, but we really do need an ice puncher instead of the rock puncher, because they are going to spawn on ice...

Edit : I don't really like the stalker either... it looks depressed
  • Q_bertQ_bert inactivelavart Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members
    Yeah, that makes sense. Rockpunchers would probably annoying as hell though.
  • ShrekislifeShrekislife Shrek's Grand Swamp Join Date: 2018-07-31 Member: 242594Members
    Noice
    I had a peeper variant I was gonna put in a discussion called the gazer...
  • ShrekislifeShrekislife Shrek's Grand Swamp Join Date: 2018-07-31 Member: 242594Members
    Q_bert wrote: »
    I think fauna that are a bit different to their first game counterparts like the crested reaper would work.
    I think fauna that are a bit different to their first game counterparts like the crested reaper would work.

I thought that would be really cool, too. The crested reaper. Too bad the devs scrapped it :#
    edited August 2018

I thought that would be really cool, too. The crested reaper. Too bad the devs scrapped it :#

Aww.
    Titan holefish then.
    Will the DLC be set on the same planet?

Aww.
    Titan holefish then.
    Will the DLC be set on the same planet?
    Yes, but it occurs after Ryley leaves the planet. The new main character is a girl. She is sent to the planet to research something in a space station-like thingy called the vesper
  • TerroDark98TerroDark98 Join Date: 2018-08-08 Member: 242741Members
    edited August 2018
    While these would be interesting to see in the DLC, I'd like to see some original fauna species as well, fauna we've never seen before.
    While these would be interesting to see in the DLC, I'd like to see some original fauna species as well, fauna we've never seen before.

Yes, these are just in addition to all the other things, like the penguins, pinnicarrids, brute shark, squid shark, Titan holefish, and the little leech thingies.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    edited August 2018
    An arctic version of the Cave Crawler would creep me out in a special way. Particularly if it grew to something like the size of a real life Antarctic ice crab.
    d9nlgciuncwo.jpg

*Not to scale
    edited August 2018
    An arctic version of the Cave Crawler would creep me out in a special way. Particularly if it grew to something like the size of a real life Antarctic ice crab.
    d9nlgciuncwo.jpg

*Not to scale
    Okay maybe the cave crawler in the Arctic has even longer legs than the blood crawlers, and it has twice as many legs and has spikes all over the legs and has a huge body with a huge mouth that can swallow you whole... would that be nightmarish?
  • TerroDark98TerroDark98 Join Date: 2018-08-08 Member: 242741Members
    d9nlgciuncwo.jpg

*Not to scale
    Okay maybe the cave crawler in the Arctic has even longer legs than the blood crawlers, and it has twice as many legs and has spikes all over the legs and has a huge body with a huge mouth that can swallow you whole... would that be nightmarish?

Yea, that would be pretty scary. What else can we add to that? Eight eyes? The ability to attack you with icy cold breath that can freeze you on the spot?
    d9nlgciuncwo.jpg

*Not to scale

Yea, that would be pretty scary. What else can we add to that? Eight eyes? The ability to attack you with icy cold breath that can freeze you on the spot?

Yeah... and also it would be able to cover itself up with an outcrop, and when you try to mine it, the "Nightmare Crawler" would jump out at you and make an extremely loud reaper-like roar and swallow you whole.
    edited August 2018
    Yes please. For me the paranoia was perhaps the most engaging element on the first playthrough.

But swallow you whole? Sounds fun, but could it be workable other than as an insta-kill?
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    BlueBottle wrote: »
    Yes please. For me the paranoia was perhaps the most engaging element on the first playthrough.

But swallow you whole? Sounds fun, but could it be workable other than as an insta-kill?

The Sea Dragon has a bite attack that swallows you whole. It is far less exciting than it sounds though.

The Sea Dragon has a bite attack that swallows you whole. It is far less exciting than it sounds though.

If you don't have a cyclops nearby, you're going to have to go all the way back to your base... RIP, no Sea Emperor for you.
    Maalteromm wrote: »

Wow.

So what happens? Do you end up inside it trying to punch your way out with the Prawn, or what?
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    edited August 2018

If you don't have a cyclops nearby, you're going to have to go all the way back to your base... RIP, no Sea Emperor for you.
    I usually play on hardcore, so that's not really a concern.
    Maalteromm wrote: »

Wow.

So what happens? Do you end up inside it trying to punch your way out with the Prawn, or what?
    I wish, the screen goes black and you hear some kind of "chomp" noise. It really miss a proper animation.
    Or at least it did when It swallowed me.