Battery drain on Cyclops

Jaws1614Jaws1614 Join Date: 2017-08-30 Member: 232742Members
Is anyone else experiencing a fast rate of battery drain since the latest update? I can have everything turned off and I come back to a dead battery in at least one slot. When I move the Cyclops, I probably get 300m before most of my power is drained, even with the Energy Efficient module.

Comments

• OrionsBlade69OrionsBlade69 Montana Join Date: 2018-01-24 Member: 235622Members
    We've been having a very similar problem.
  • GoldenApplesGoldenApples norway Join Date: 2017-09-09 Member: 232914Members
    the only thing i can think of is if you have battery charger with empty batteries,
    or cell chargers with empty cells.
    because the drain rate of battery charger, and cell charger in cyclops is 1:1

• SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    edited January 2018
    Does anyone know if the energy efficiency modules stack?
    The cyclops is a pain in the ass to recharge and those things could be really overpowered helpful if they did.
  • GoldenApplesGoldenApples norway Join Date: 2017-09-09 Member: 232914Members
    edited January 2018
    they does not stack
  • Jaws1614Jaws1614 Join Date: 2017-08-30 Member: 232742Members
    What kills me is that I'm watching these YouTubers play on PC and they aren't losing power going from their lifepod to the islands, and I can't go 500m without having to replace all my batteries
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Pretty sure I just saw a streamer have this. I think it was Jacksepticeye's latest playthrough. Or not. I forget who it was. Maybe Kulbrant's last video from Season 1.
  • obsidian_eclipseobsidian_eclipse uk Join Date: 2017-05-04 Member: 230239Members
    Are people playing new games or old ones? How much drain are you experiencing?

I start a new game with every update. With the power efficiency module from the aurora my Cyclops can travel from the Lifepod to the mountain, to the floating island and back to the Lifepod and have 80% battery power which seems pretty good to me considering I have used a fabricator on board to turn about 10 pieces of wreckage to titanium and also partly charged the Prawn Suit after a couple of small journeys to drill quartz.
  • Jaws1614Jaws1614 Join Date: 2017-08-30 Member: 232742Members
    I think I figured out the issue: the "Silent Running" setting really sucks the life out of your batteries. It continues to drain the batteries even with the engine off. I have found that if I remember to turn that off before shutting off my engine, I still have the same battery life I had when I left it.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Jaws1614 wrote: »
    I think I figured out the issue: the "Silent Running" setting really sucks the life out of your batteries. It continues to drain the batteries even with the engine off. I have found that if I remember to turn that off before shutting off my engine, I still have the same battery life I had when I left it.

Yeah, I made a thread about that: https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/153897/silent-running-shouldnt-consume-power-or-should-consume-next-to-nothing-when-engine-is-off#latest
  • TurquoiseKnightTurquoiseKnight United States Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236639Members
    edited February 2018
    No issues here. I have the Efficiency Module and can go 1500m on one set of batterieswith 10% to spare with using sonar most of the way.
    Tips:
    Never build battery chargers in your Cyclops.
    Use Sonar, Shield Mods sparingly and dont install the Vehicle Repair Mod.
    Silent Running is a power hog. Don't use it.
    Always run on Slow speed. It saves the batteries.
    If you're not traveling, shut down the engine and exterior lights.
    Also, make a spare set of batteries, two spare sets are better
  • Base_builder_09782Base_builder_09782 Join Date: 2018-01-29 Member: 236135Members
    A youtuber called think noodles
    Has had this problem constantly
    He had silent running off
    But kept getting attacked
    Although he was on PC I think so this problem is also affecting PC
  • TurquoiseKnightTurquoiseKnight United States Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236639Members
    A youtuber called think noodles
    Has had this problem constantly
    He had silent running off
    But kept getting attacked
    Although he was on PC I think so this problem is also affecting PC

When you get attacked, stop, and turn off the engine and your lights. Repair your hull. The Leviathans usually go away after a while. If they still linger, release a decoy, repair and get away.
  • CagiestTurtle20CagiestTurtle20 Join Date: 2018-02-27 Member: 238367Members
    I was on my way to Inactive Lava Zone in my cyclops. In Lost River had 90% power half way there got attacked by crabsquids EMP pulses and when I was at entrance to Tree minibiome had like 5% left. Think EMP from them killed powercells? Also when I left Cyclops in Active Lava Zone with thermal recharge upgrade sometimes my power dropped to 80% around till I got there and it starts charging again. Fully charged batts and none in batt charger still happens. One power leach thing on hull. Was 1000+ distance from sub. Thing didn't know sitting in 60° water some how. Nothing attacks sub there. Does this randomly not always, sometimes have full charge. Engine off no Silent.
  • MPGr8DaneMPGr8Dane Wisconsin Join Date: 2017-07-31 Member: 232156Members
    I finished a whole new game, but never saw the thermal charger for the Cyclops. Did they get rid of it on xbox?
  • RboxRbox Belgium Join Date: 2018-03-17 Member: 239227Members
    edited March 2018
    Tips:

Why? Does that magically suck energy cell juice? Putting one in seems the most obvious thing TO do. ---edit: wait , I get it : charging batteries is always a negative yield. If the game physics are as in real life, then, of course, you are correct. But they could concoct a battery win when ascending./descending. Like an electric car gains juice when braking.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Rbox wrote: »
    Tips:

Why? Does that magically suck energy cell juice? Putting one in seems the most obvious thing TO do. ---edit: wait , I get it : charging batteries is always a negative yield. If the game physics are as in real life, then, of course, you are correct. But they could concoct a battery win when ascending./descending. Like an electric car gains juice when braking.

The earlier part of that post refers to batteries as power for the cyclops; thus I'm fairly sure they mean powercell charger. It's probably best not to charge too many batteries in Cyclops, if you have power difficulties. As far as gaining energy back, if that did return energy, it would return to the powercells it came from(and maximum energy returned is less than energy spent, due to inefficiencies).
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Rbox wrote: »
    But they could concoct a battery win when ascending./descending. Like an electric car gains juice when braking.

Works in cars, doesn't work for subs.

Cars recapture a fraction of their energy because an electric motor and an electric generator are basically the same thing. Run current into it and it'll spin an axle. Spin the axle and current will run out of it. Since a car's wheels are firmly on the ground, there's an energy source to draw from.

Subs do not enjoy such a setup. Unless you specifically installed some sort of exterior turbines to harness passing current (either natural or from movement of the boat) there's no effective way to capture any energy; the main prop is too massive to do so at all efficiently. And adding turbines like that would probably decrease the hydrodynamic efficiency of the boat so far that you'd end up losing more energy due to drag than you'd gain.
  • jaidenwilliamsjaidenwilliams Join Date: 2018-08-03 Member: 242636Members
    The glitch was patched where you had infinite power with the engine module and power cell chargers so. If ur tryna do that it’s gonna drain it