Understanding High ping gameplay

fleasfleas Join Date: 2007-10-13 Member: 62623Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited August 2018 in NS2 General Discussion
Hello, this is my explanation of high ping gameplay within NS2. Feel free to correct me if i have posted wrongly or whatnot.

I have played with high ping(~250ms) for quite awhile now. So this is what i feel high ping gameplay is like.

Do note: high ping =/= inconsistent ping(spiking ping or teleporting)
1000ms = 1 second
High Ping would be about 200 - 300ms

i feel that 250 and below is playable to a degree and above 250 is really hard to play as you tend to lose more bullets/bites. But you have to understand that community is really small and there's a few populated servers out there.

Advantages:

1) You tend to able to do dmg before the opponent is able to be aware of it. This results in you seeing that particular skulk doing Long Bites or marines doing dmg behind walls(Line of Sight/POV).

2) As a lifeform, you tend to run away even though you still have armor to counter the fact that you might still get shot past the Line of Sight((behind walls).

3) Because you know you are on high ping, as an alien, you tend to bite when you are touching the marine.

Disadvantages:

1) You tend to get Long Bites and get dmg when you already past the pov even though that player is low ping. It is even worse when the player has high ping.

2) Even though you run away early and with more health, you still die because you can't see your health in real time(your latency)

3) You sometimes get pullbacks on doors(that open and close) and players/structures.

4) Out of 5 bullets, constantly 1-2 will not reg at all.(not sure if this is me but from hitreg sounds in ns2plus confirms this vs low ping)

5) You tend to overshoot/bite a structure/player because you don't see their health/deaths fast enough(latency)

6) You tend to see yourself doing up to 2 bites or couple of shots not being counted because you have already died

7) some players tend to walk through you casually. This happens because on their screen you aren't there yet.

If you notice, the advantages also relates to the disadvantage. The only advantage you really have is more towards the awareness you get when you are on high ping.
eg: you tend not to take more risk because you can't see your actual real-time health...etc

Do note: This post this for people who are curious or want to understand what to expect playing with high ping

Also, understand that the reason why high ping feels particularly obvious in this game is due to the fact that there are quite a number of fast moving lifeforms and the game rewards high accuracy. So if a high ping player has good aim, you tend to feel like its instant death.

tl;dr version:

any advantage you gain, you get the same disadvantage. eg: you can shoot behind corners, you gonna get shot behind corners as well.
The only difference would be you get pullbacks and you are at a handicap of reaction time due to latency, this includes seeing your own health as well.

edited: POV edited to Line of Sight

Feel free to ask any question

Comments

• HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited August 2018
    I've played with 3G and 300 Ping, ...

So I think I know what I'm talking about:

- hitreg:
    Generally, I think it is fine, sometimes you have lags, very rare I had rubberbanding (that is mostly when my mobile Phone had bad connection, not due to routing). Usually it just means that my hits are registered late... (what is really OP if you have a fleeing lifeform because he gets his information late.
    I had a redplug once when a Fade was attacking me... I was shooting my entire clip to the passing fade... 3 seconds later he died while he was healing at the hive)

Combat:
    - Ambushes usually the aggressor has always the advantage, especially to lagcompensation. The trick is that I attack BEFORE my enemy can see me when hiding around a corner. That means that I have to consider somewhat the pingdifference... otherwise I'm standing still from his PoV.
    - Staying in combat is a bit more tricky. Generally when someone starts to shoot for example when I'm spiking I'm probably already hit.
    This will train your senses to dodge before they actually shoot you (which is a very important skill for ns2 anyway^^) after a while you get the feeling... what skilllevel has what accuracy against what moves you make...
    If you make obvious moves, that will be more disastrous since you don't notice that you screwed up to early...

As a Marine I'm either the aggressor OR I'm keeping my distance... depending on the situation

Overshooting targets, yeah that might be true, but on the other hand once you're used to the delay, you know how many bullets you need and you stop shooting. The only disadvantage is when you stop to early to shoot.

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Handschuh wrote: »
    ...3 seconds later...

You were playing with 3,000 ping???
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    ...3 seconds later...

You were playing with 3,000 ping???

I had a redplug once when a Fade was attacking me... I was shooting my entire clip to the passing fade... 3 seconds later he died while he was healing at the hive)

• MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    - hitreg:
    Generally, I think it is fine, sometimes you have lags, very rare I had rubberbanding (that is mostly when my mobile Phone had bad connection, not due to routing).

You were playing on your phone???
  • leodleod China Join Date: 2015-11-23 Member: 209430Members

- Staying in combat is a bit more tricky. Generally when someone starts to shoot for example when I'm spiking I'm probably already hit.
    This will train your senses to dodge before they actually shoot you (which is a very important skill for ns2 anyway^^) after a while you get the feeling... what skilllevel has what accuracy against what moves you make...
    If you make obvious moves, that will be more disastrous since you don't notice that you screwed up to early...

+1 for the subtleties.

As a usual fade ~200ping at EU&NA severs, I can't depend on the HP/AP readings to take dodge movement, have to be very cautious for consecutive swipes
    3 swipe hit and plenty hp/ap left, want another swipe? Boom you are instantly dead.

But it trains my awareness of surrounding marines' attention/facing-direction, i need to know how many guns especially high accuracy fagots are aiming at me.

Btw, I really think focus nerf is abit overly done. It could be replaced with the Toxin in NSL mode

• ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I love high ping, makes me feel tough when killing low ping twitch streaming boys who fly in straight lines. Gives me a giggle when i watch the stream days later while falling asleep, only problem i've noticed with high ping is it's really hard to play without celerity as first upgrade.