Sooooo windows edition?

Hunter387Hunter387 Join Date: 2018-07-01 Member: 241853Members
Now no one hate on me this is my second discussion but it coming anyway and I hate to ask something from the devs but is there anyway to make Subnautica Xbox play anywhere compatible so you can buy it once and have it on pc through windows ten and on Xbox one Ik it has a long way to come before that’s possible like for one the easy part should be making it available thourgh Microsoft store for pc because all you have to do is replicate it from steam and just upload to Microsoft store the hard part is probably the start on one pick up on another part :( mainly because the Xbox eddtion isn’t even all the way out yet sadly but it’d be a cool feature. Thanks for your time and if your gonna criticize please make it constructive.

Comments

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited July 2018
    Sadly no. If you want Subnautica on PC, you would have to buy it again.

And as far as I can tell, cross-platform connection wouldn't have much use in Subnautica outside of the dreaded M-word.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2018
    I never understand this mindset though. I mean Xbox (Microsoft) and Steam (Valve Software) are two different companies. I mean would you expect the same thing to be possible for example between PS4, Nintendo or Xbox etc...?
  • LavLav Minsk, Belarus Join Date: 2018-06-18 Member: 241524Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I never understand this mindset though. I mean Xbox (Microsoft) and Steam (Valve Software) are two different companies. I mean would you expect the same thing to be possible for example between PS4, Nintendo or Xbox etc...?
    There's a way to register product keys from other platforms on Steam. Essentially you buy a product elsewhere, get it's key (or separately generated additional key), and enter it in Steam client in the "Games - Register product on Steam" menu option.

There are probably requirements for that, but it's technically possible. I have registered a few games myself this way - purchased as retail box, from GOG, and directly from developer's website.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    edited August 2018

I mean, if I own a copy of the game don't I own the game and have the right to play it? You can add non-steam games to steam without paying extra to play and you dont necessarily need to have it go through steam to play it on windows anyway, but other than that I dont really see why I shouldn't be able to transfer something I own between systems, provided that its compatible with that system. Xbox and Windows OS are both Microsoft so... why not?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    @Lav, those are partnered with Steam/Valve, right?

@Ralij, well, you own a either a licence to play the game on Xbox Live or on Steam, these are simply not interchangeable. Just like as I mentioned PS4, Nintendo or Xbox aren't. And adding a "non-Steam game" is just that, it's merely a shortcut inside your Steam library not dissimilar to a desktop shortcut, with maybe the added benefit of people seeing you ingame on the friendslist. although that's quite buggy without Steamworks integrated into the game. However, you won't be able to download updates and patches from the Steam Servers using that, because it wasn't activated on Steam or even a game available on Steam (usually)

Heck, would you expect me to be able to download for example my store bought Company of Heroes from the Steam servers? Using the key I received with my DVD version, if perhaps the DVD was scratched and unusable?
  • LavLav Minsk, Belarus Join Date: 2018-06-18 Member: 241524Members
    No idea about requirements, never investigated that. But this would require quite a number of agreements between various involved parties, that's for sure. Still, there are precedents, and at least some publishers are open to the idea.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members

@Ralij, well, you own a either a licence to play the game on Xbox Live or on Steam, these are simply not interchangeable. Just like as I mentioned PS4, Nintendo or Xbox aren't. And adding a "non-Steam game" is just that, it's merely a shortcut inside your Steam library not dissimilar to a desktop shortcut, with maybe the added benefit of people seeing you ingame on the friendslist. although that's quite buggy without Steamworks integrated into the game. However, you won't be able to download updates and patches from the Steam Servers using that, because it wasn't activated on Steam or even a game available on Steam (usually)

Heck, would you expect me to be able to download for example my store bought Company of Heroes from the Steam servers? Using the key I received with my DVD version, if perhaps the DVD was scratched and unusable?

But... why? Why should it be limited to the system? Its not like it runs different software and literally cannot play it because the file is unreadable a la putting a xbox disc into a playstation. If you bought the game yeah I'd expect you to be able to play it with whatever system its designed for so, doubly so if the same company owns both systems. I guess the area where I'm not understanding is what Steam itself has to do with it as a separate entity, its basically just the marketplace and organization system where it gets stuck into with some network benefits, but itsnt running the meat and bones of the system the game actually runs on (which would be Microsoft in both pc and xbox instances) so... no comprende.
    edited August 2018
    Alright, think of it like this:
    • Microsoft get's a cut from UWE's Subnautica sales on Xbox Live, for which Microsoft provides the Xbox marketplace, hosts the game files and runs/handles the distribution servers.
    • Valve Software get's a cut from UWE's Subnautica sales on Steam, for which Valve Software provides them with the Steam marketplace, Steamworks, hosts the game files and runs/handles the distribution servers.
    • And "soon", Sony will get a cut from UWE's Subnautica sales on the PlayStation Network, for which Sony will provide them with the PlayStation marketplace, hosts the game files and runs/handles the distribution servers.

See where I'm going with this. I mean, these companies didn't exactly become market leaders from being non-profit organisaties, so to speak :D
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    How the play anywhere works is if you buy it from the MS store, you get it on XB1, and visa-versa. So it's MS either way. Any other deals would probably be special one-shot deals hammered out between, say, Valve, Microsoft and some big name publisher so that both MS nd Valve get a cut no matter which platform it's originally bought on (I would imagine). Not sure if that's ever been done though. Wait, actually some publishers allow you to claim keys on GOG if you already own the game on Steam, once you link your Steam account. Which is pretty cool. Goodwill gesture from the publishers, and much appreciated.